Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#292832 Aug 16th, 2009 at 05:24 PM
IndyRN Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Glad to be in the company of some real experts. Can anybody help me with a problem I'm having with morning glories. I understand that they are beautiful flowering plants but they are a nuisance in my garden. The vines wrap themselves around other plants and, before I know it, those plants are dying. I like my holly plants and barberries and several other plants that the morning glories have been "attacking" so I would like to find a way to get rid of the morning glories. I didn't plant them anywhere on my property and I don't know where they could have come from. I just want to get rid of them. It seems that pulling them out of the ground doesn't do much good. They come back. Is there any chemical I can use to kill them? I will appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you,

Nick

IndyRN #292833 Aug 16th, 2009 at 05:39 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I haven't had your problem. I think the morning glories you are talking about are more commonly called bindweed. And from my reading those are pretty nasty stuff to deal with.
Here is a link with some educational material. Even if yours isn't the bindweed this will help you.
http://www.ksda.gov/plant_protection/content/181/cid/889
(The original I put here was the wrong link)
I have another vining weed that is quite nasty as well with similar attributes. I do use chemicals on it (roundup). But I have to be careful to unwrap as much of the vining portions from my prized plants. Then I lay the vine out in a place where I won't over spray anything else and spray the leaves. It has to stay attached to the root to do much good. The leaves absorb the poison and transport it to the root. This can take about 24 hours or more. Then I might cut off the tops and hopefully the poison is into the root and beginning its job. Sometimes i need to do it all again on tough-to-kill plants. But I try to catch them when they are small after the original spray. At least I know where they are then.
Good luck.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
IndyRN #292834 Aug 16th, 2009 at 05:42 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have them growing every where too and yes they choke out some other plants. what happens is when you pull them out that's it. it doesn't come back unless there is a seed there,, they grow from seed, Each pod has several seeds and the wind blows them around. I pull from spring thru fall every year because there is an area I DO want them to grow and I try to get the dead blooms off before it goes to seed. That is all I can suggest is keep pulling them up and don't let any bloom and IF they bloom pull the spent bloom before it goes to seed. This plant is a massive seed producer. IF you follow the vine to the base where it's coming out of the ground snap it at the base so the long clinging vine dies off,, it's a lot easier to unwrap it then. and then pull the base out of the ground.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #292835 Aug 16th, 2009 at 05:47 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I also found this
"Fill a small container with roundup. Cut a small hole or slit in the top and stick one of the vines in the container (through the hole in the top). Place the container in an area where it won't get knocked over or disturbed. Watch and wait for the plant to die. You may need to do this several times to kill it all. The idea is to let the plant soak up lots and lots of roundup (far more than what it would soak up from the leaves.) It is VERY important that the container of RU be in a safe spot where kids and animals won't get into it or knock it over."

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292839 Aug 16th, 2009 at 05:58 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I will also tell you that I don't use real Roundup any more. Walmart has its own brand called eliminator that has the same basic killing ingredient in it at similar concentrations that is less expensive.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292845 Aug 16th, 2009 at 06:22 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I don't /won't use chemicals if I can just pull it,, the roots aren't deep with morning glories, fairly easy pull, and at no cost, thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #292847 Aug 16th, 2009 at 06:26 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
I don't /won't use chemicals if I can just pull it,, the roots aren't deep with morning glories, fairly easy pull, and at no cost, thumbup

I agree if it is just the regular annual morning glories. But there are some nasty plants out there called MG's with some really extensive root systems.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292848 Aug 16th, 2009 at 06:29 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm I Wonder which he has,, I guess I've never experienced one with a extensive root system with MG,, or even heard of it for that matter,, I'll have to look that up and find out more,, Didn't know there was one to that degree. shock

Field Bind weed ~~~ Would that be it Tina??
Never Mind I just saw that you posted about bindweed,, somehow your post made it before mine tho it wasn't there before the move,, WEIRD! BUT it wasn't there earlier.. Trick of the moved topic I guess notme

Last edited by angelblossom; Aug 16th, 2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Weird How that one happened,,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #292855 Aug 16th, 2009 at 08:18 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I understand, Tina---I think I would use the round up too.

I have finally gotten rid of my Morning glories. I began by pulling up as angelblossom advised but they came back & came back--so my husband carefully sprayed round-up for me--and I now think they are all gone.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #292858 Aug 16th, 2009 at 09:02 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My post was there before the move, Diane. We just posted very close together. I have done that before and missed a post above mine. Yes, I am thinking he has the bindweed version.
I would prefer to never use Roundup or any other chemical cure. I would love to find an eco-friendly something that does an equal or close job. Most kill off tops and leave the roots behind to pester you again in short order. Weeding in large areas, acres, where mowing or tilling isn't an option, then chemicals it is. I do as little as possible though and rely on my weedeater a lot. I need to keep the weeds down due to their fire danger in the hot, dry windy season.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292879 Aug 17th, 2009 at 10:10 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
you ladies are better people than I am---I do not use a weedeater nor a lawnmower of any kind----that kind of stuff is strictly my DH's territory.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #292882 Aug 17th, 2009 at 12:17 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is funny, Carol but maybe wise with any physical disabilities. I bought a little electric weed eater that is meant for quick easy jobs (yard sale, $5). About the size of grandpa's cane? It was so small that Jonni could use it when she was about 5-6, wearing goggles og course. It was nice to have a little helper. And she was and is still tiny. I used it too until I used it up. I use a heavy duty gas one now.
A weed eater is a necessity here. And kinder to the world than chemicals if you can use it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #292940 Aug 18th, 2009 at 12:15 PM
HI there ,have not been on line for a while ,busy summer.Need help with small Spindleberry tree the bark at the base has split away and the tree has lost all its leaves what can i do .bye the way thanks for sugestions on my leafless crown of thorns since the better weather has been here I placed it outside and happy to say my plant is now growing leaves and looking a great deal healthyer thanks .

luvinflower #292942 Aug 18th, 2009 at 12:23 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I had to look up spindleberry tree. I found it is a type of euonymus. With the split bark and the dead leaves. I can't think of a thing that may save your plant. I am sorry. I also cannot find an answer to your problem online on the forum or elsewhere.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
IndyRN #292952 Aug 18th, 2009 at 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by IndyRN
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. Glad to be in the company of some real experts. Can anybody help me with a problem I'm having with morning glories. I understand that they are beautiful flowering plants but they are a nuisance in my garden. The vines wrap themselves around other plants and, before I know it, those plants are dying. I like my holly plants and barberries and several other plants that the morning glories have been "attacking" so I would like to find a way to get rid of the morning glories. I didn't plant them anywhere on my property and I don't know where they could have come from. I just want to get rid of them. It seems that pulling them out of the ground doesn't do much good. They come back. Is there any chemical I can use to kill them? I will appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you,

Nick

I also pull, pull, pull. and sometimes cut them off at the ground. they do regrow but Im in the garden everyday so they dont grow much.

I love my garden
dhuber #293013 Aug 19th, 2009 at 07:51 AM
IndyRN Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. I see that I stumbled into the Right forum. Thanks again. I'll let you know what works for me.

Nick

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image