Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i realized that the last one was at 99 when i said hello, so i'll say hello again wavy grin

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
wavy

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
wavy

The job was just one small job. We started a company and the girls put flyers out on doors last week and this was the first call from one of those. Not much but at least it gave him something to do. He still gets unemployment so we have time to hope that business will pick up. There aren't too many jobs for him out there right now because the plumbing companies are hiring non-licensed guys so that they don't have to pay them more. This was the case at the last company he worked at and he even reported them but the state's budget has been cut so they can't keep up with all the L&I violations flying around these days.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is sad, Cheryl. But I'm glad the fliers are beginning to take off for you. I could use a reasonably priced plumber here for a lot of small jobs

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I told him that this was the last week that people were able to go out of town before school starts. They're spending their money on labor weekend. I also told him that I thought there were probably quite a few people that are holding on to their flyers (they have a $100 gift certificate that never expires) until they need it. The calls will come, just not all at once and right away.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is a great deal!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
cheryl, that is a fantastic deal and great idea. i'm glad it will pay off. and i'm glad you can see the end, sort of. you have a good plan on how it is going. and you are right. when it starts to get colder, they will want to get the plumbing working better.

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
It's been a long day here too... shopping trip to Sams, boys after school.. did some laundry and ironing is on my next thing to do-Joe is bbq hotdogs for us tonight ... still not feeling up to doing a whole lot- out of all my freezer meals too- really need to have a cooking weekend but that's not happening soon... maybe after Sept is over ... a lot of stuff I have not done since Mom got here needs to get done and I need to get my energy back for all of it.. I want to paint the room she has been in before we turn it back into my office- will be nice to have that space back .. going to convince Joe to actually put some color on one wall at least and put shelves in the closet to use to store all my office stuff and the kids art and school supplies... right now it's all scattered and in boxes all over the houes... so have a lot of reorgainizing to do... and a computer to move again- I think my SIL may want to kill me when I ask them to move it all once more- but can't let Joe do it cause of his back...so will pick a weekend when he is working and get them here to do it for me...
then the other room will become the guest room/boys playroom again with no office overflow in it ... that will b nice too...going to clean carpet too- or maybe hire it done- at least the living room and family room... lots of spills in her room to so that one will have to be done before I move my stuff back in there..
We are going to have a bbq Sat for all our Sept and Oct birthdays and Labor Day too of course... all the kids and my sis and her boys- .. weather is supposed to be nice ... going to go order a cake tomorrow for it.. if I can figure out what to get on it- it's Mom's birthdyay - both my daughers, mine- my SIL and my DIL's too.. thinking to stick to just Happy Birthdays to ALL on it... and of course making it choc cause that is everyones favorite...
Well dryer just buzzed so now have to eat and iron....
Nana

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Our deck is done! clap clap I will take pics tomorrow. Now, we need to go shopping for patio furniture. Hopefully it is not too late in the season to find some. Maybe we can find a good deal.

Last edited by plantqueen; Sep 2nd, 2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: brain fart
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
jessica, my girls got great deals on craigslist from folks not wanting to store theirs for the winter. might want to check that out. ellie got a table that seats 8, 8 chairs, 2 chaise lounges, a small table for between the chaise lounges, and 2 umbrellas for under $500. the set retailed for over 2K. glass top tables, etc. and it was new this season. some folks have more money than space or brains lol

by the way, congrats on the deck being finished thumbup

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
nana, good luck. when does your mom and sis leave for vegas?

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Good idea Jiffy! I will check Craigs List! thumbup

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Jiffy , they are supposed to go the first part of Oct... so in about a month- I know its not the best for my Mom but hopefully my neice will take care of Mom and my sis will straighten up her act and get a job and not depend on Mom to support her--- who knows it's what Mom wants and between my health going downhill and my vision going away it's the best I can do right now.
Jessica good news about your deck - I bet you could find a good deal on craigs list --- lots of people buy that stuff and forget they have to store it in the winter and it does take up a lot of room... good luck on finding what you want.
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning but not really yet. I am gong back to bed. I just wanted to make sure all of the power outages last night didn't mess up my computer. They don't appear to have done. It is almost 3 am for me so going back to bed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope your couch gets you back to perfect health and happiness, Cindy.
I slept in a little bit But Ted and I are about ready to start the school day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have been very, very busy today. I realized that I had procrastinated long enough about filling my gas cans so I took them out and filled them up today. Last night's power outage reminded me I had no gas in the generator from the last power failure. So I went out and filled 2 five gallon cans and had a little help dumping them into the generator. It looks like it will take one more to fill it. I guess it is about a 15 gallon tank. I am learning.
So I am headed back out to refill the cans. Gas is $2.99 at my local station. It is higher down in town.
I love being prepared for disasters.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
wavy I'm in and out today.

I looked on Craigs List for patio furniture. I didn't find anything. Maybe something will come up. Might shop around for some this weekend.

We have Tristen's "meet the teacher" today and school pictures. Then we are off for the daycare interview at 4:30.

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13

That cracked me up! I and two other women were on James Tamage Stevens blog talk radio show, The Family Preparedness Guide, last Saturday. Fun stuff.

In other news... we are in Mississippi. Whoohooo. We have just a little temporary rental place, but it's out in the country and so I am happy.

Off to unpack and figure out how to cram all of our kitchen stuff into so few cupboards.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is a busy day for you but a day towards more stability too, Jess. I really hope it all works out for you.
I have purchased 33 gallons of expensive gas today. Probably one more trip later or early next week. And I should be set for a while. I may just go buy another gas can for a third, just in case. But I really hate the newer ones with the kind of safety spouts they have. Very hard to use if your hands don't work well.
And I have a friend coming over to fix my one chainsaw with a glitch and help me with the second which won't keep running for me.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Marica
Originally Posted by jonni13

That cracked me up! I and two other women were on James Tamage Stevens blog talk radio show, The Family Preparedness Guide, last Saturday. Fun stuff.

In other news... we are in Mississippi. Whoohooo. We have just a little temporary rental place, but it's out in the country and so I am happy.

Off to unpack and figure out how to cram all of our kitchen stuff into so few cupboards.

I really do love most parts of getting ready for a possible disaster. I can turn my head just a little to the left and see the San Andreas fault. Most of my life I've lived next door to it and am in a triangle of faults of which that is only one side. Preparedness has been drummed into me and has come in handy in the past for me.
I am glad you are there and getting a little settled. And very glad you have internet! I hope you find your dream home around there soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I think one really learns what it means to be prepared when one becomes a mother, and leaves her kids with the sitter for the first time. Lists of numbers, where things are, what to do if ? All that sort of stuff. Makes you really think ahead.

About the internet. Cincinnati is a *very* wired city. All public parks have WiFi. All coffee shops and bars and restaurants. You literally cannot open your laptop without having at least half dozen networks available. We had DSL in our house. When we spent that one year on the Shenandoah River, we had to resort to satellite internet. It was awful. Slow-- nothing like speeds we were paying for. Criminal-- even after we cancelled service they continued to debit our account for 4 months until we got our attorney (John's Dad) involved. Lesson learned. Awful.

So I was a little worried about the internet issue. I mean-- I can live without it. But it sure did come in handy just now when I was trying to remember how to spell satellite without red squiggles. (Left my dictionaries, some dating from early 1800s, in Cincinnati awaiting the real move.) But I have a bunch of young, techno type family & friends and they suggested I look into MiFi. And here we are with our little MiFi modem thingy that we can use here, and take anywhere Verizon covers. Pretty cool. We can have our own wifi network with up to 5 users at one time. Speed is somewhat slower than DSL, but not anything I really notice. Even Hulu & video downloads are fine. And not all that expensive.

More than anyone wanted to know. Sorry. Just happy to be chatting!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
No, I've been looking at the mifi commercials and wondering how they work out. It is nice to know. Now i have to look into the cost.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think it is hotter inside than out right now. I'm going out with my chainsaw and seeing what kind of stuff I can get done before it gets dark.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Our daycare interview went great. I think we will be starting there in about 2 weeks!! clap Our temp babysitter will stay on until which is only a couple hours a day since Tristen is starting school on Tuesday.

I am sitting on our deck right now with my laptop and a beer. This is the life! lol It is a bit chilly out though so I don't think I will stay out here long. I will get pics of the deck in the next couple of days and post them. We have another deck at our house but it is off our bedroom so not convenient when we have guests. We took our table and chairs from that deck and put it on this one as a temporary. It works for now but it is small.

Tristen is all ready for school. We met the teacher today, turned in all our forms, got much in his lunch account and got his pic taken. After tomorrow it is a long weekend and the chaos of school will start. It is a good thing though. thumbup

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, i bet you are breathing easier. I know I am and I'm not even there!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I went to bed early last night. And woke early this morning.
I went out late last daylight and created a couple more truck-sized piles for hauling off. I have been creating piles faster than the guys have been able to haul them off. Today I will stick with weedeating. It is not as much fun as the pole saw but it creates smaller messes. I also have some shovel work to do to fix a place where my dog made his own path up the hillside and the hill is coming down on my steps. I need to put a barrier there to encourage the dog to stay on the approved path. I plan on planting a lot of fall bulbs along there and don't want him running through them. I have a lot of plants to plant in other areas that I have been collecting too.
I have plenty to do and it is to be cooler today at 98*. That is a bonus. The air is better with the local fires in control pretty much.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I'm here in Northern Middle Tennessee. We get a few mild earthquakes but tornados and floods are our biggest problem. That, and rednecks. I've been in TWO tornados in my life. In one of them, I was in my car INSIDE the funnel with wind, rain, trees, and cows whipping all around me.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Now, my new Scottish son-in-law will FINALLY be here on October 13th so we are getting tea kettles and the accoutrements for afternoon Tea, so he'll feel at home.

On my Astronomy site, most of the members are British, so on our chat forum there, someone will call out, "KETTLE!" and then you know it's Tea time in the U.K. The rest of the day they drink more coffee than we do, plus a lot of wine.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Thornius
Now, my new Scottish son-in-law will FINALLY be here on October 13th so we are getting tea kettles and the accoutrements for afternoon Tea, so he'll feel at home.

He is going to want to go to Mac Donald's or IHop instead, Thorny
On my Astronomy site, most of the members are British, so on our chat forum there, someone will call out, "KETTLE!" and then you know it's Tea time in the U.K. The rest of the day they drink more coffee than we do, plus a lot of wine.

This sounds like our New Zealand friends to a tee (pun intended)

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
I kept waking up and going back to sleep today..don't know why- but got a later than normal start ... oh well got all day I guess... do have a potato salad to make and need to go to a store and find something for Mom's birthday... dd's too.. sil ..dil other dd... boy Sept and Oct are as bad as Christmas!
Sure glad they are getting the fires more under control Tina-- less danger- less smoke.. always a good thing.. going to have my son and grands clear back my mulch and dig up my old bulbs and plant my new ones for next spring... will replant the old ones in back and see if they will bloom again with moving but they sure aren't in the front.. that will keep Joe from digging for me and re-hurting his back again.
Well off to get myself ready for the rest of my day-.... you all enjoy...!
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is a busy season for you, Nana. I hope you can get everything you want done without exhausting yourself. No relapses allowed.
I only worked for an hour or so out there this morning. It got pretty hot for dong much more. But I'm happy with what got done. I need to clean up and go do a little weekend shopping before picking Ted up from school. I just don't want to shop.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts

What time is tea time? Do they drink it sweet or unsweetened? We went to a friends house for dinner once and she served either wine or water with the meal. We drank water. A little while after it was over she asked if anyone wanted tea. We live in the south, so Johnny said yes. She brought out a little tray with a little tea pot that was full of steaming hot water and a china cup with a tea bag in it. Not what he expected.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Tea time varies by region, I think.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
Joe just left to take Joseph to the football game- I picked up the kids at school today and took them home- carrie still doesn't feel to well and the wonderful news is the H1N1 flu is in Nicoli's preschool class- at least 2 kids have it for sure and 4 more were absent today... so we've all been exposed... we canceled the party for this weekend and then decided if we are going to get it we'd rather get it before winter arrives ... according to the info from the school unless you have a fever it's not the H1N1 .. its the reg crud that goes around every yr... who knows it's at CU in Boulder ,, bunch of kids have it there and they won't close schools here unless a whole lot of kids get it... they will go thru the classrooms and disinfect this weekend..but I bet a lot of kids get it 3,4 and 5 yr olds aren't known for not spreading their germs and viruses....
Well gotta go and fix some kind of dinner... we are doing leftovers....
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I hope it passes all of you and yours by, Nana.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am really counting the minutes until I can go to bed. I'm very tired tonight. I got up extra early. I got a bit of physical labor done today. And a bit of boring stuff accomplished. It is to be much cooler tomorrow and I'm very much looking forward to it. I might be able to get more stuff done out there if it is cooler.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning.
Cindy, I need to say I love your signature line.
I am waiting on daylight so I can go out and do some more work outside. It is exciting to see an end to the major cleanup portion for the year. Of course I have to go back over and clean places again that were already 'done'. That will be regular fall maintenance.
We do have a fall season in California and I can see the approach. Pines and evergreens are shedding a few more needles and leaves than they do at other times of the year. Our deciduous trees and shrubs are still green but getting ready to do their big shedding too. We have not yet had any of our heavy autumn winds.(knock on wood)
One cup down and heading towards a second.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
I got a bit of physical labor done today.

I got a bunch of mental labor done today... teach
...as usual! lol bow

what have you been thinking about Cindy Lou Roscoe?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I hope it is something exciting and a little naughty.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning...
Well now that party is back on for today I have a lot to get done this morning- already got a load of laundry going- Mom is eating- got to do a store run in a while and get my fridge cleaned out... make up the potato salad ...need to run the vacuum some too ... already cleaned up the back yard to make it safe for the kidlets... twins aren't to good yet at keeping out of stuff ... they will love the tractor though...
Well better get busy... lots to do and little time to do it..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,953
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image