Print Thread
Rate Thread
#295323 Sep 14th, 2009 at 03:02 PM
Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
since you are here...
my home page finally validated in dhtml (cept w3 doesn't like my embed tags) but all of a sudden today i started getting a little Willy with big font on Firefox and a big Willy with little font on IE...
can you enlighten me?
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
btw.... I wrote a java script to grow Willy 0-100 but I got hung up with the "trigger" Everything tells me to load it with a click... but Willy is a self starting kind of gnome... ya know? (I found a prewritten script later, but it still insists on click) Tried to start it on a div loading but that didn't work AT ALL :LOL:

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
oh... and I told Dreamweaver to use charset=utf-8 (heard somewhere it was more universal)but w3 insists that it is iso-8859-1 (auto-detect)
Does the server have the final determination of charset? Do I need to change my tag?
why

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Well, you have to specify the utf encoding in the head of the page; just keep designing stuff with utf-8 and I'll see about setting a default somewhere

The w3c validator will always error out on embed tags; every browser will support them but it wants you to use an object tag which some won't support; go ahead and ignore embed errors as they're not exactly critical (I even tend to ignore them unless on an anal retentive tangent).

What's your "trigger" code? Would need to see it :P

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I'm using FireFox 3.5.3 and I can't seem to find where you said you're having issues with fonts :(

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
The fonts on Firefox are exactly what I wanted actually. I only wanted to point out the diff between browsers and that both looked and acted the same until I obviously changed something.. I'll find it... probably a misplaced apostrophe.
I'll stick with utf then... it IS what is listed in the head as well as in the Garden Search. The guy from CoffeeCup (they made the flash prog) told me about w3 and embed tags, and said don't worry bout that... Thank you for reaffirming for me!
Is there any benefit for me to move Willy via javascript over the current flash? (other than getting a gold star from w3)

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
probably a misplaced apostrophe.
Don't you just love it? lol...

Well, thing to keep in mind with the w3c, they want one tag to do it all, so where there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, there is one specified "proper" way...

Though, there are also CSS alternatives to plain HTML, hence why there are CSS standards as well.

I don't like flash, if there is no reason to use it, I'd stay away from it... A computer doesn't ship with flash support for one, it can't be read by alternative text readers for another (I like to push for full Section 508 (users with disabilities) support).

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Moguai
probably a misplaced apostrophe.
Don't you just love it? lol...

Well, thing to keep in mind with the w3c, they want one tag to do it all, so where there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, there is one specified "proper" way...

notme If you were to check the source code on my pages, you might notice that I didn't even realize there was such a thing as an end tag for the first 18 months of page making... you will still find no end tags on lots of my early works of art. Back in those days, even my own version of coding (html.004) still made the text red! lol

I understand the need for the coding standards because of the number of people doing stuff today, BUT those rules aren't supposed to apply tp grouchy old gnomes! neener

I'm good about alt tags because they help the disability programs... that was a courtesy I was taught long ago... I try anyway, and I'll do my best to unflash Willy and the RSS feed as soon as my feeble brain lets me "get it" idea I'm probably the only person alive who can watch a vid tut and forget everything I learned in the 30 seconds it takes to switch windows.... egad

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Heh, I noticed ;)... A loooooooooooong time ago pops :P lol...

Well, proper tags go along with coding standards too ;)... If you ever get bored go read up on Section 508 compliance; it's the new thing that Govt sites have to follow to be compatible with disability programs, not too hard if one generally tries for validity :P.

RSS feeds are ok, I don't really stress them to people since a lot of sites won't use them... And for those that will, well, the software they're using should support it already :P.

SiteMaps are a huge thing everyone tends to overlook, but they help greatly for any site; it's why I made my paid mod for the UBB that I sell

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
Would you mind dropping over yonder and seeing if //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=295422#Post295422 is correct, please?

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
I hate to keep bothering you, but they say docs that when you need to KNOW, ask a PRO.... idea
From a 'googlebot spidering' = 'search result' aspect, am I better off using the absolute full URL or a quicky *.html? why

(Hey! If you ever need help figuring out how to plant a Petunia, I will be here for you! kissie )

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Well, are we talking links on a webpage or in a sitemap?

In a sitemap you should always use full URLs to pages, ex:
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Links from your site to other pages on the same site you can use just the page name, ex:
forum/ubbthreads.php

Bill Offline OP
10k Posts
OP Offline
10k Posts
Thank you!

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I don't know about a Petunia, but i think my niece said she wanted an Orchid lol...

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
Thank you for fixing the UTF-8 issue (via hta... see I learn by watching....)
You're awesome! kissie
I learned about web safe colors today... the tan background of my side columns was showing up as an icky pink on some browsers... the same browsers showed my footer in GIANT font, so I learned how to fix that with my css... For you it is nothing but second nature, but to me I started with Greek and with a lot of faking it I'm getting through my schoolin... bow

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Haha, lemme guess, you saw via timestamp that I updated it? lol...

'eh a lot of the time you can ignore web safe colors, I tend to do so then check later to make sure the "closest color" is at least in the same ballpark...

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Hahaha, you guys talk funny.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
They are good at tech talk.

Might say a word we understand some day??????????????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
"Hi, I'm James, and I am lonely"; hows that?

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
all of a sudden today i started getting a little Willy with big font on Firefox and a big Willy with little font on IE...

That sounds kinda kinky............ grin

(....or maybe you need to see a urologist...) why

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Good heavens.........Send him to cedar hill.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image