Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#298012 Oct 16th, 2009 at 07:32 PM
OP Offline
Hey everyone, my name is Tony Coiro and I've got a couple questions regarding my recently acquired pear tree sapling. A little background, my entry into gardening was for slightly less than noble reasons, a friend of mine told me to grow a pair, so being an incurable troublemaker, I decided to take him up on his advice. Bought the sapling on ebay, soil and a "planting urn" from walmart all for like $34. The friend that told me to grow one in the first place has now bet me $35 that I can't actually grow a pear. So, being that I am standing to make a dollar in about 5 years, I'm taking good care of the tree.....I think. I've picked up a few gardening books and am starting to read them. It's all actually very interesting stuff. Anyway, I noticed today that several leaves were turning brown and 2 had fallen off. Is that a sign of under-watering? Too much sunlight? Parasites? Chuck Norris? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Tony Coiro

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hello, Tony.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not sure what zone you are in. I don't know if you are growing your pear indoors or out. But I do know that pear trees are deciduous so they lose their leaves normally at this time of year in the northern hemisphere.

Good luck winning your bet!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #298022 Oct 16th, 2009 at 09:35 PM
OP Offline
Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Yes, it is being grown indoors. Also, since I am beginning to become intrigued by gardening, is there anything I can plant/start on now? I am in college at Purdue (relatively central Indiana) and I am pretty restricted to what I can plant indoors.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
What you can plant depends on how much light you have available. As we are in the fruit growers forum, I'm thinking strawberries. You could grow them in a window that gets decent light. You probably wouldn't get enough to feed a whole dorm but they can be fun to watch develop.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #298035 Oct 17th, 2009 at 07:21 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
You can also buy patio bluberry bushes that put out a ton of blueberries and can be grown indoors if you have enough light. They taste just like outside blueberries.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,924
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image