Rate Thread
#303405 Jan 19th, 2010 at 09:08 AM
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
, Norton's would not have caught it or any other software. This one is more like a program that runs in the background and turns off your anti-virus software right aware. Yes, it is another form of spyware, the want you to buy THEIR program. Eventually, Norton's, etc. will come up with something to catch it but they will just write another one as usual.

If you NEED anti-virus software there is a free one out there called AVG. Go to "www.AVG.com" and then in the search bar at the top of that page type in "free avg". The have a free version on there. Now keep in mind, I have been running their stuff for 3 years and have gotten hit twice. But that's better than paying for it and still getting hit. You can set up AVG to check for updates every day if you want at a certain time, but your computer must be on during that time.

They anti-virus companies update the anti-virus software AFTER the virus is out - lol! So if you are one of the first lucky ones to get a new virus, oh well.

When this program hits, you here a little "chime" on the computer and then an Adobe Acrobat screen pops up for a second and then disappears. You don't have to have Adobe Acrobat to catch it, it is just what program they are using.

My advice, download AVG if you don't have an up to date virus software, and DO NOT store passwords into any programs for a couple of months.

Anyone know the truth?

d

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Well, they can't really release their updates before the virus is out, they wouldn't know what to do lol...

As for AVG, I'm not a fan... Avast Personal Edition however is free and the only thing I run...

This sounds like one of those acrobat exploits that where going around a couple of months ago; not really an issue with your virus scanner, but an issue with adobe not issuing updates to their bugs (or people not upgrading their adobe software).

One that I like are the "popups" that look like the info in "my computer" and then start a little virus scanner listing various items that seem to be on your computer; what people don't notice is that it's still an internet window and it's simply a cleaver little web applet that theyv'e made to freak you out and have you go to their site and install their malware.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!

Moderated by  Gremelin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,888
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image