Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lakota Offline OP
OP Offline
These white fuzzy things have been appearing on several of my plants in my house. I'm not sure what they are, but I isolated the two smaller plants that first had these (both were succulents and survived a dousing in alcohol and thorough rinse in water which got rid of the white pest problem). Somehow, in a separate room, my jasmine bush now has the same issue. It's not as tough of a plant and I don't know how to treat this or what it is. I've tried wiping down the leaves, which smears the white spots into nasty, runny, orange smears; but, the plant is so large, I'm having a hard time finding all of the infested/infected areas.

I don't see any movement with or amidst the splotches, but it does seem quite "contagious" to other plants. Please help if you have any advice or know at least what these things are. I really love this plant and don't want to lose it! Thanks so much!
Pest 1 Pest 2  

Last edited by Lakota; Feb 13th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I can't see the photo's but As you said wiping them down with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol is what I'd use,, I would seperate the plant from each other if they are very close together. Sorry that is the only advise I have, OHH Yeah,, after they are all wipe down, I'd spray( mist) with water with a teaspoon of joy dish liquid in it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Lakota Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks! Can you see the photos now? I had to edit the links. Oops, y'all.

The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
yep I can see it,, Mealy Bugs, UGGGGGGGh! zoink
they do Spread from plant to plant boohoo

Use a product safe for indoor use. Insecticidal soap should be effective. However, you will need to be vigilant and re-treat several times in quick succession to kill new generations hatching from eggs before they mature and begin to reproduce. If your plants have clasping leaf bases or other hiding places, the insects will continue to reappear. In that case, you may need to use a more toxic insecticide. < Any gardening store will have a stronger more toxic( chemical) BUT you'd have to use it outdoors,,
So Sorry Mealy Bugs are a terrible thing to get rid of, while hoping you don't miss any eggs.
If you feel confident you have removed them all from the succulents Continue to keep them away from the more infected plants, Sometimes it's just better to rid the most infected plant to avoid any more infections to other plants,

Last edited by angelblossom; Feb 13th, 2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: opps didn't see Wild Willy Link,, But I agree start with the rubbing alcohol and Move on the stronger insectiscide soaps if need be

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Lakota Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks so much! I'm going to try a spray, wipe, rinse method first. Typically, this plant is out on my porch. But, with the weather being so cold, I have to keep it inside for a few months. If I have to pursue a more aggressive treatment, hopefully I'll at least be about to keep it alive until I can take it outside. Thanks again for the help!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
your welcome ~ let us know how they are doing okay?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image