Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#311015 Mar 25th, 2010 at 08:10 AM
OP Offline
Good Morning to all,

It has been rainy a few days this week around the Fort Worth - Mid-Cities area.

I am battling a drainage problem. I purchased the home around 1 1/2 years ago with lovely landscaping of boxwoods, holly, red tip photina, crape myrtles and english ivy. I have three azalea bushes and two hydrangeas (still learning about those plants).

I need help!

My problem is that my drainage area has become increasingly worse. To compound even more is that my yard is the lowest in all of the neighborhood which gives the abundant overflow from their yards to mine when it rains. Needless to say that my yard on the east side has alot of standing water with pockets of standing water in the lower lying areas. I even lost my hedges next to the east side of my house due to this last snow that we had as they were literally pulled up out of the bed.

The cost of a french drain with sump pump is in the cost of $5000 of which is just a little out of my budget.

I plan on adding top soil in 1/4 inch increments to build up my yard. I want to add a sloped raised bed in the planting bed next to my home as I need to prevent the water from standing and the bed to be mush. I would lay down landscaping sheeting to give support.

My thoughts are to plant a "bog" garden on the east side as the water stands in the beds. I have found two plants one that is in the rose family which is aruncus dioicus which grows to 6' tall with a stately look. Also acanthus is a choice but they require full sun.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a good, sensible and inexpensive way for a drainage remedy? _________________________
wildflowersintexas why

wildflowersintexas
wildflowersintexas #311016 Mar 25th, 2010 at 08:19 AM
The first thing that comes to mind, simple and cheep...is to shovel out a drainage ditch?
I like the idea of bog plants. Canna's, lillies, iris would work well.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image