Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#312768 Apr 12th, 2010 at 03:49 AM
OP Offline
Good Morning!

My first project has involved changing out an area in front of my house. We had a pretty harsh winter by Florida standards and the 10 year old Hibiscus did not make it. I have pulled out the remains and what I have is a square of mulch.

I have a very healthy pony tail palm that will look great as a centerpiece in this area around which I will install some nice borders. The problem is that I am stuck at start because I can not determine if I should get rid of the old mulch and start over or work around what is there. I did some searching around old posts here and found some good advice around when to replace or add to mulch, but nothing seemed to address if you are starting over with an area.

Your suggestions would really be appreciated. This may be covered in a Landscaping 101 class I am taking in 2 weeks, but I am very excited to dig in and get my hands in the dirt!!

Kristine

KristineL #312769 Apr 12th, 2010 at 04:00 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Honestly I think it depends on how much new mulch you want to buy thumbup

I've done over 'old into new' areas and used all new mulch and done over others using the old mulch as a base and the new mulch on top. Just remove all the mulch that you can first and set it aside, then do your new plantings and decide if you'd like to start fresh or recycle a bit.

I also check my old mulch, if it's infested with bugs, eggs or such then that also helps me make the 'toss' decision.

I also must say hi and welcome wavy It's wonderful that you are getting to take a landscaping class.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #313097 Apr 14th, 2010 at 04:42 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I agree Tamara.

The idea is to keep about 3 inches of mulch over shrub beds and around trees. Two inches is plenty in flower beds. If you've already got that much, you can skip adding new mulch if your mulch is pest free. If you're down an inch, just top the old stuff with an inch of new stuff to get back up to the optimum level.

If you do anything to the old mulch, it'd help to cultivate it a bit to break up any matting that's occurred. Shredded hardwood, in particular, is prone to knitting together and matting. A matted surface can impede rain from soaking in. Even in this event, the idea is to disturb the matting - not to get rid of all the mulch.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image