Print Thread
Rate Thread
#319511 May 28th, 2010 at 07:31 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Offline
Frogger
40k Posts
We were wondering how to harvest, & plant the seeds from our Eastern Redbud trees. My DH thinks we should give it a try.
I have read 2 differnt way to go about it---so now I am confused.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #319516 May 28th, 2010 at 08:49 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Funny. I have never seen seeds on my western redbud (I'm assuming it is a western because of where I live). But last year and this I have pulled up baby redbud trees growing where I don't want them. Just yesterday I was pulling. If I let them grow where they fall I would have a choking stand of trees.
OK, I lied. I went out and looked and there are a million little flat peapods on my redbud. And I now remember seeing them before.
I'm not sure of an answer to your question though. But I am going to tell you what I do.
Some seeds need stratification (chilling) and some need some type of scarifying (A nick, soaking or even a bird attempting to digest them). Mother Nature provides those things in the wild. I will harvest seeds and treat them much like Mother Nature does with maybe some better soil than she provides around here. I will pot them either on the surface or barely covered and tuck them into an ideal situation with enough water, light and shade. Then I forget them and see what springs up in a few weeks or months. I am all about easy and natural.
My plant propagation book (for commercial production) says best to soak in sulfuric acid for an hour then chill for 3 months. The soaking is for that heavy seedcoat. The chilling is for a dormant embryo. But it also says fall planting of untreated seeds may work. And cuttings work in spring and early summer and so does air layering.
I just think you may want to try a little of each if you have a lot of seed? Then see what works for you best.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #319527 May 28th, 2010 at 10:31 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Offline
Frogger
40k Posts
thanks much Tina-=-I will tell Rod.
what do you think of boiling the seeds for 30 minutes to sofen the outer shell of the seeds?? That is one thing I read. yikes sounds to me like it would kill the whole seed though.
and do I wait until the pod falls to begin my experiments ??????

________

JunieGirl #319533 May 28th, 2010 at 10:53 AM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
According to my seed book...
Sow Redbud seeds outdoors in the fall for germination in the following spring or summer
-or-
Soak Redbud seeds in hot [i](not boiling)
water for 24 hours followed by placing the seed in moist, sandy potting mix then putting in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.
Remove from refrigerator and keep the soil temp at 70-75* until germination, which can take several months.
Treating seeds with a legume innoculent will speed up germination[/i]
Redbud trees do not transplant well...

Wild Willy #319542 May 28th, 2010 at 11:56 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
First, Bill is right. Never boil seeds. That will kill most of them. The hot water bath is good idea.
Next, I look for when seeds begin to fall naturally before I harvest them. I figure they are pretty much matured by then. Unless some critters are going for them. Then I strike fast or I never see them again.
I dug up one of my larger volunteer redbud trees a couple months ago to place in a different spot. It was only about 10 inches tall though. It is doing well. Also my redbud full grown tree was pot grown from seed. And transplanted from the pot to the ground just fine about 18 years ago. I would not try to move a larger one, though, whenever I read that they don't like it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #319547 May 28th, 2010 at 12:28 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Offline
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks to you both--it is greatly appreciated.

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image