Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342525 Mar 12th, 2011 at 09:05 PM
OP Offline
Hey all, I am planning my first garden, and I don't want to fail miserably. Here is what I have going on, and wondered if any of you had advice.

Southwestern Connecticut.
Will be on a leveled surface between retaining walls.
Area had a pool prior. I'm guessing sand was brought in to level.
Hill runs southwest to northeast.
Plenty of sunlight.
Let the area totally go last year to see if anything would grow, what grew were which I'm guessing were a weed:
hard stalked,
about 7 feet high,
with thin,pointy leaves
small white flowers at the tops

I'm wondering if making boxes would be the better way for me to go, but I would rather not use untreated wood, but I don't want to contaminate the food either.

Don't mind doin the work, just want to do it on the cheap. Could borrow a Tiller if needed.

Had a groundhog problem last year, but my dog took care of that. Sorry if some are offended, but I want you to know all of my obstcales to making this garden for the best possible adivce.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Connman203 #342526 Mar 12th, 2011 at 09:10 PM
OP Offline
Vegatable garden, not flower garden if that makes any difference.

Connman203 #342527 Mar 12th, 2011 at 11:18 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I don't see any reason soil wise that you would need to do a raised bed.

My first step would be to get a soil sample and send it to your local University Extension Coop. Once you get that back you can amend the soil as needed.

Chances are if you are going to grow veggies you will need to add a good amount of compost. You can make your own if you have the time and materials. Or you can buy it.

Next step would be to lay out your garden. There are plants that should not be planted together and then there are plants that do very well together. You'll need to take that into account. Also it is a good idea to plant flowers near or in the veggie garden that draw pollenators.

While planning your garden it is a good idea to figure out how you are going to water your plants. You don't want a watering system that splashes the plants with soil because that can cause your plants to get diseases.

Another choice you'll need to decide one is weather you want to put down some kind of mulch for water retention and weed supression or weather you'll do more manual labor taking care of those two things.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image