Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#343512 Apr 19th, 2011 at 08:02 AM
OP Offline
Hello all,
I am about to sign up for a plot in a community garden near my home here in Sacramento, CA. I have never had a garden before. I have been reading the posts and the website here. Does anyone have any tips specific to community gardening? I'm not sure of the size of the plot, but it's probably relatively small. We can only grow organically. I'm hoping to cut down on our produce bill, at least long term, by doing this. I am open to comments and suggestions from everyone. Thanks in advance.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Since the plots are small it would be nice if several of you gardeners could get together and decide what each will plant so you can share.

OP Offline
So I got to check out my new plot today. It's about 20 x 22 and full of weeds...and a few strawberry plants. It was abandoned last fall by the previous plot owners.

My 3 year old is excited to start weeding and planting. She is requesting broccoli and sweet potatoes. I think we will also try carrots, tomatoes, zucchini,onions, garlic, beans, potatoes, a few herbs, blueberries and watermelon. I think we'll keep the strawberries, too.

I'm still not exactly sure where to start once we get the weeds out. Anyone familiar with hot, sunny California? It seems I may need to sprout some of the seeds at home and plant the seedlings, but I'm not sure. Will I be able to plant all of these things? Seems like I will need to stagger them so that they won't all be ready at the same time.

We can't use pesticide or herbicides. Fine with me but how do I keep out the bad stuff - weeds, bugs, & such and keep everything healthy?

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well first take a soil sample and send it to the university coop in your area. When it comes back you'll know what amendments you need to add to your soil to get a good crop.

Keep the zucchini away from the tomatoes. Plant the blueberries in their own area since they need a high acid content than the other things you plan to grow. Companion planting will solve some of your problems with bugs. lemon scented soap will help with many of the other pests.

Stagger the planting on the carrots. Plant the zuchini quickly since it takes a long growing time.

Garlic in order to develop cloves needs a cool period. So you may end up with a head that doesn't split into cloves like you would expect.

Mulch can help keep some weeds out of the garden, but mostly it's weeding until you have cleared the space of all the existing weeds, their roots, and their seedlings. I've heard tell that's a seven year process but for the most part its the worst the first year. As the soil softens with amendments and good care pulling weeds gets easier.

Good luck with your garden.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
If you can pull most of the weeds and cut really short what you can't pull up you can layer newspaper on top, wet it down and keep layering until all the dirt is covered and add your compost or soil on top of it. The newspaper is biodegradable and will help keep the weeds out.

Blueberries grow on bushes that can get really big if not kept back. They do here anyway so you'll need to consider space for them. I think it may be a little late for you to plant broccoli. They need a little cold. The same for onions.

So why not start with tomatoes and potatoes and beans. Try bush beans. They don't use as much room as the kind that grow on a trellis.

Hi If I were in your shoes I would definately contact your local "extension service". They will help you with soil test,what to and how to plant,and everything you need to know to have a successful 1st garden. You should be able to find them in your phone book under local or county goverment. Best of all, its FREE! It wont be easy but it will be worth it! Good Luck!!

OP Offline
Thank you. We are going to try to get enough newpaper to cover it today and then mulch and manure over it. Do you think cardboard would work just as well or is it too thick? Not sure we can track down enough newspaper.

We've got the beds measured out and hopefully will get some plants in the ground soon!

All the tips have been helpful. Wow, this is a much bigger expense than I had planned on. Hopefully it will be worth it over time, especially if we can get the compost going and get everything to grow.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Cardboard is wonderful!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Good luck.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image