Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345361 Jun 19th, 2011 at 09:53 AM
OP Offline
Well i told my wife id nurse a house plant my son gave her last mothers day back to life. Well to do that i need to know what it is so i can do some research. Any help? Thanks!!!
[img]http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee462/mechanical28/?action=view&current=06191847.jpg
[img]http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee462/mechanical28/?action=view&current=06191845.jpg

Last edited by mechanical; Jun 19th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's a Phalaenopsis or moth orchid. It is perhaps the best orchid for growing in the home, and is also a favorite with greenhouse growers. I have a hand out from the orchid society with the basic information on growing them but it is pretty long. If you can't find the same information on the net let me know and I'll type it up.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #345395 Jun 20th, 2011 at 05:41 AM
OP Offline
Awesome.. Thanks hooper. Im all about some research but if you have some tips i'd appreciate it. Its about a year old so im contimplating repotting. Looks like i have some dead/rotten roots. Seems i can get some special bark and some all purpose nutrients. I did a little generic research about orchids last night. My wife said to water with ice cube? Never heard of this. My plants would freak with cold water on the roots.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
don't do the ice thing.

LIGHT: They grow easily in a bright window, with little or no direct sun. An east window is ideal in the home; shaded south or west windows are acceptable.

TEMPERATURE: Night temperatures need to be above 60F and day time temperatures should be between 75 and 85F. If it gets hotter than that make sure the humidity tray stays full of water and that there is air movement. A small fan can be used for this purpose. Night temperatures should go to 55F for several weeks in the autumn to encourage flower spikes.

WATER: Never use ice cubes, you will shock your orchid. Phalaenopsis have no major water storage organs so they must never completely dry out. Put your finger down into the bark to the first knucle and the bark should feel damp. The best way to water is to put it under the tap and run the water through for some minutes. This waters the plant and also helps keep the decomposing bark out of the pot. When I feed my orchids I put them in fertilized water up to the top of the bark for 20 minutes and then drain them. Make sure you water in the morning and that none of the water gets into the crown of the plant. If water does get in there take a paper towel and absorbe all the water so the plant does not get crown rot.

HUMIDITY: 50 to 80 percent humidity is best for these plants. Set the plants on a tray of gravel, partially filled with water, so that the pots never sit in water.

FERTILIZE: Feed your plant regularly especially if the weather is warm and the plant is growing. Twice a month applications of high-nitrogen fertilizer (30-10-10) is appropriate where bark-based media are used. Otherwise, a balanced fertilizer is best. When flowering is desired, a high-phosphorus fertilizer (10-30-20) can be applied to promote blooming. Some growers apply fertilizer at 1/4 strength with every watering; this is best for warm, humid conditions. When cooler, or under overcast conditions, fertilizer should be applied twice per month at weak strength.

Potting is best done in the spring, immediately after flowering. Phalaenopsis plants must be potted in a porous mix. Potting is usually done every one to three years. Mature plants can grow in the same container until the potting medium starts to decompose, usually in two years. Root rot occurs if plants are left in a soggy medium. seedlings usually grow fast enough to need reportting yearly, and should be repotted in a fine-grade medium. Mature plants are potted in a medium-grade mix. To repot, remove all the old medium from the roots, trim soft, rotted roots, and spread the remaining roots over a handful of medium in the bottom of the new pot. Fill the rest of the pot with medium. Working it among the roots, so the junction of the roots and the stem is at the top of the medium. They have special pots that have pedastools in the center of them to help with the air circulation that orchids need. I believe you can get them through the orchid society and probably lots of places on the net. To make your life easier get orchid pots. They are pots that have openings all along their sides usually in decorative motifs, this is to promote the air circulation that will help keep your orchids healthy.

I hope this information has helped you some.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image