Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349986 Nov 21st, 2011 at 04:36 AM
Snowy Offline OP
OP Offline
I've owned the pictured Philodendron for 6 years. I'm not sure if this variety will flower? I also wonder how high they can grow, and how to train it. (It seems to be growing upwards, downwards and outwards, and the main stem has curled round and back down on itself which I don't mind, but would rather train it upwards) [img:center] Philodendron www.picasaweb.google.com/c.s.macnab/Philodendron[/img] ) I wonder how to make this stem train back upwards again. When pruning, which I haven't done yet, should I cut above or below the brown nodules on the stems?

I'd really like to encourage it to flower, does anyone have any ideas?

I'd also like it to grow more densely, and preferably upwards, not downwards and more uniformly overall.
I'd be very grateful for any advice!

Kindest Regards,

Clare

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Clare.
Here is some basic info on the care of your philo.
My first thought was that your plant needed more light. For a straighter stem it would need regular turning so it wouldn't have to reach for that light. Light will help create a fuller, more leafy plant.
As for trimming and fixing the curl in the stem, I am just not sure. Except you always want to cut just above a node. I hope someone comes along with further help.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Snowy Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Tina,

Thank you. Thanks very much for the advice. I will put it into practice. I've been keeping it in a low lit place, so will move it nearer to a window, and turn it every week or more. I think I might wait for advice on the curly stem, and then try to cut above a node and make the new stem a bit straighter. Your advice is very much appreciated, :)

Kind Regards,

Snowy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image