Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Nana's15 #358153 Jun 22nd, 2012 at 09:14 AM
yikes Wow, Nana, what a job. Got me to itching just thinking about it. Kind of you to help. What a big job washing everything.

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
afgreyparrot #358154 Jun 22nd, 2012 at 10:18 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is very hard work to get rid of those things. I went through it in the early 80's with my crew. I hope what you have done has paid off. I'm itching too, now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
afgreyparrot #358161 Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
lol scratching here also..

What a job Nana..went through that years ago here and at my aunts but it was with scabies that was running rampant through the school. They had to close the school for a bit.

Poured rain all day today but I managed to get 5 bottles of wild strawberry jam preserved. Time to start preparing for Winter.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
afgreyparrot #358162 Jun 22nd, 2012 at 01:48 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Way to go, Sunny. I have never canned anything. Freezer jam and refrigerator bread and butter pickles don't count.
I hope all rest well tonight. I am heading off to bed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
afgreyparrot #358165 Jun 22nd, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning.

Tina I preserve everything I can..alot cheaper and tastes better. Last year I had over 80 bottles of things for Winter.

Rain here again today...

Sunflowers #358169 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Good morning.

I preserve everything I can..alot cheaper and tastes better.

me too, I canned carrots, potatoes, pickes, jam: plum and apricot, bread n butter pickles, pickled beets, dilly beans, applesauce, apples for pie, salsa, zucchini relish, antelope, moose and lots of tomatoes. I thought I would have way too many tomatoes, but only have 2 quarts left! I also froze broccoli, cauliflower and green beans.

Just got back from Bountiful Baskets, and got 2 cases of blueberries....12 containters each. So I am going to freeze some of thoes. couldn't beat the price. Last time I got only one case of blackberries and I didn't have enough to freeze, we managed to eat all of them!!

Going to be hot here today, passed on the air conditioner yesterday, but not today! Just working today, too hot to do anything outside!

Have a great Saturday flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
afgreyparrot #358170 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:09 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I am caring for a neighbor's cats and dogs while they enjoy a break for the weekend. So was up early to go feed and let dogs all out and things.
That sounds awesome, Bobbi. I want to come to dinner for the winter.
I do understand preserving, Sunny. My grandmother grew and canned a lot of stuff. And bought and canned a lot of alternative things. My mother made attempts at different times over the years. And I have her giant pressure cooker/canner. But even my grandmother said that, after moving to California from Illinois, that canning was not as important to pleasant survival. There is an abundance here and we feed a lot of the nation during winter months. I love it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
afgreyparrot #358173 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 03:14 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
wow ! you guys made me tired just thinking about all that preserving and canning...

I am hoping we got rid of the bugs at dd's house... did all I could .. and they have spray left to keep spraying just in case.. I have had more showers in last 2 days cause I keep itching too! probably making me itch at this point...LOL!

I am taking it easy today... we may go to the park and take a walk around the lake but nothing else planned...
Have a good day all!
Nana

[Linked Image]
afgreyparrot #358175 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Blueberries are yummy...I need to go pick some this Fall, they grow wild here also.

Tina, I understand..why preserve if it is available all year round.

I'm still scratching Nana kissie

afgreyparrot #358176 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 04:47 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Preserving still makes a lot of sense. I am not experienced and just a little afraid of messing it up and poisoning someone. And here, my kitchen is tiny. I don't have much room or counter space, etc.
I went out and shopped, mostly for fun stuff. Getting ready for the new school year to begin on Aug 1 or thereabouts. Collecting supplies for Ted's class is one of my joys. Much of what I have gotten so far are mundane things like hand sanitizer and tissues. But as I find fun things at reasonable prices I grab them up. It is one of the fun parts of having a special ed kid. Kindergarten and kinder crafts forever.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Sunflowers #358178 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 07:03 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Sunflowers
Good morning.

Tina I preserve everything I can..alot cheaper and tastes better.

I am afraid to can things, I dont trusit it, or me nervous---I will make jelly--that seems to work ok for me--but otherwise i freeze things, like tomatoes & corn, etc. With the tomatoes, I blance them & remove teh skins--then i cut them up & fill a empty tomato can full--& move it to one of my freezer containers, label & freeze. When I lived out in the country, I would also freeze my homemade applesauce, fresh peaches, strawberries & my own blackberries. Sometimes I would even make fillings for fruit pies & freeze them, so all I had to do was work up a crust & add the filling---

also, I did then & I still do this: I mix up a lot of crumb topping, put it in a labled container & put it in the freezer---then I am ready to go. thumbup

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
afgreyparrot #358184 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 08:14 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I crumb up all my unused bread and have a bag in my freezer all of the time. Great for topping or adding to meatballs, meatloaf, etc.
I need to get started on dinner. Although it is easy stuff tonight. I have a lot on hand today.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #358199 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 12:44 PM
I love having something in the freezer or canned for dinner when I am too tired to mess with anything... we don't really have a decent place to go out and grab something to eat, except Subway! I too keep bread crumbs in my freezer, but I like that idea of crumb topping. I've thought about freezing more, but putting up produce comes before hunting season, and if we get say an elk and both of us get our antelope, both our freezers get full. (And then there was the year we had a moose, an elk and 2 antelope!!) Not complaining about the full freezers, just a reason I can rather than freeze things, :wink:

I laughed out loud when I read about picking wild blueberries, there is nothing edible that grows wild anywhere close to where I live! I had never really thought about that before. There isn't much of anything that grows wild! I have gone to the mountains (3 1/2 hr drive) and picked choke cherries. But often we don't even get those if late frost, not enough rain and all those other conditions for producing fruit!

yup, got hot today, and I am blessed to have central air.

Take care all,

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
afgreyparrot #358200 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 01:13 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have a deep freeze on my patio. Soon to be switched to an upright. I hate digging through the depths. And two refrigerators in the house with freezers.
I don't hunt. I don't like guns. Not that I am against guns or the right to bear. But I don't like balloons popping anywhere near me for the same reasons. It is the sudden noise I find disturbing. So my meat is purchased unless a hunting friend shares.
Do you dress out your own kills, Bobbi?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #358202 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tina

Do you dress out your own kills, Bobbi?

No, I can't go that far. When we get them home I help to skin, but my DH dresses them out in the field. We cut and wrap our own meat also. We have a chest freezer, an upright freezer and 2 fridges! And sometimes all are full and I've had to get very organized to fit everything in. When we have a bumper year we often share with my family, but we have to have somewhere to put all the meat till we can get together. Only one of my sisters lives close, the rest live in CO.

My DH is the one with the passion for hunting and shooting. I am a good shot, but seldom go out shooting just for the sake of shooting like my DH and some of his friends. I hunt for the meat!

We are going to have another hot one today. Guess I may have to get my shade cloth out for the green house, it got to 116 in there yesterday, even with the fans.

Have a Wonderful Sunday flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
afgreyparrot #358209 Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:59 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Most of the hunters that I have known send their kills to be butchered and then come out with steaks, sausages and ground venison, etc. So that is what I was asking. But that is also about the only way they can fly it home from the northern states to SoCal.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
afgreyparrot #358227 Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Kills here are dropped off at butchers. I detest wild meat with a passion, mind you I don't like beef either. I'm a chicken kind of girl lol

Still raining here..

afgreyparrot #358228 Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:28 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. This is my son's last week of summer school. We will have a month off before he begins the next school year on August first or something. I am trying to plan that month off.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #358229 Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Good Morning....Going to be hot again today, it got to 103 yesterday boohoo supposed to get that high today.

Hope you get to feeling better, Cindy and your regular doctor gets back soon.

Do you have a baby yet, Sunflowers?

Was going to work yesterday, but got to cleaning the house and then I decided since is was Sunday, I could take the rest of the day off! Enjoyed doing almost nothing, but I need to get hard at it today!

Have a Great Monday all flwr

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
fabrictodyefor #358232 Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good morning !! Yea, we drop our venison off at the buther's also. I am not a fan of Deer meat either---well, unless one cooks it in tomatoes/ juice. Or with lots of garlic. So, to that end we now get ours all turned in to Burger. It is something I can eat too since it is so low fat.
I used to add pork to it for fat, but we don't now a days. I just use garlic salt or garlic instead of regular salt to season & it tastes like strong beef to me.

The cardiac dietician called it a bonus meat. clap One deer lasts us 2 years, so this year is time for Rod to go out again.

I have a lot of errands to run today, but first, after my coffee, I have to go and stain the ramp that my DH made yesterday for our dog to use to go outside with. then after we attach a rug to it, he will have a much easier time of it to go outside to potty. bad news is it is off of our deck, and now I will be opening my sliding doors a lot---dont think that will go well..

is there a new life at the "sunflower residence I wonder???

Cindy I hope you are feelign a bit better today--- kissie

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
afgreyparrot #358245 Jun 25th, 2012 at 12:59 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I bunch of really long days all in a row for me. But things are at a point I feel I can sit back for a bit.
It is supposed to get warmer this coming week. I think summer may be around the corner for SoCal.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
JunieGirl #358247 Jun 25th, 2012 at 01:09 PM
We had a thunderstorm watch out this afternoon, the computer said it was "iminent" (not sure I spelled that right). Said 60-70 mph winds and maybe up to golf ball size hail. So I shut everything down, unplugged everything, including my long-arm, but luckily the storms were just west of us, no towns involved, but ranches may have been affected.

Deer meat is my least favorite, that is why I won't hunt deer! I do like the antelope, though, but elk is my favorite. The moose my DH got a couple of years ago was very good. It was just a young cow, so that made it better than an old grizzled bull! Moose is a little "sweeter" than the rest of the game we have had. I do miss beef sometimes, but the game has so much less fat, less than a chicken breast and since my DH is going to go hunting come what may we may as well reap the benefits, espically with the price of beef!

Quiet today in the coffee house guess everyone is playing in the dirt,,,,too hot here to be outside. uhuhh

Well didn't sleep well last night so think I'll hit the sack early and see what happens, good nite all snooz

Bobbie

[Linked Image]
afgreyparrot #358248 Jun 25th, 2012 at 01:49 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts
closing...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,900
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image