Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Tina #359770 Aug 26th, 2012 at 05:03 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
John used to buy, out of his own pocket, boxes of the colors he wanted of the folder types he wanted. He charged the kids a nickel and it went into a slush fund. That helped fund pizza parties and such. He could only do that as the FFA advisor, not as a regular teacher. Legal issues.
I am about done cleaning house. At least for a while. My kids are all coming to the house today so my oldest daughter can give my youngest daughter her birthday gift. When they all leave, I will pop Teddy into his bath.
My weekdays are scrunched with taking Ted to and from school and doing any shopping or any business needed. In the evenings, most of the time, I am a zombie with low energy levels. So weekends are my best time for cleaning my world up.
I am also enjoying what is accomplished.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
JunieGirl #359774 Aug 26th, 2012 at 06:39 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
sorry about the headache, Diane---I think the color has to do with color co-ordinating for each class. if she wants certain colors an easy way would be for her to order them & then each child could buy one from her---This might even be cheaper as she could buy in bulk...

I wish you luck...I am so happy my girls are raised...it must cost a fortune to send kids to school in today's world, and I am talking public school when I say . zoink

It would be a lot easier for teachers to buy in Bulk and us parents buy from the teacher,,
Here is just Julians list for 1st grade, I have to take him to school the first day cuz he can't carry it all shock

3 white 1" binders with transparent sleeves
4 gloss brad free pocket only folders blue and yellow
30 clear plastic sleeve protectors
2 storybook tablets
3 handwriting tablets
3 100 ct composition books
6 70 ct spiral notebooks
24 #2 pencils
6 pink erasers
4 boxs crayons 24 ct
2 boxes colored pencils
1box washable colored markers
4 bottles of glue
10 glue sticks
100 pk of manilla paper
100 pk red construction paper
2 heavy duty pencil bags
1 pair 5" sharp point scissors
1 tub clorax wipes
3 bottles hand sanitizer
4 boxes of klennex
2 rolls of paper towels
1 large bottle soft soap
and these will need to be replenished through out the year

Breyton's list is even longer being in 7 grade taking AP science and AP English,,
Last year all school supplies were donated to the boys because they were still CPS involved,, Now that CPS is out of the picture it's all on me now,,
shock shock shock

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina #359775 Aug 26th, 2012 at 09:34 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Schools should just charge a yearly fee and take care of their crazy specialty lists themselves.

When we went to school the list was as simple as scribblers, pencils, crayons, erasers and glue thumbup

Hot here but at least there is a breeze..hoping everyone is having a nice weekend.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Tina #359776 Aug 26th, 2012 at 09:45 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I nor my kids had a list. At least not until middle school where we had to provide our own paper and writing implement. There may have been a book we needed to purchase if it wasn't available in the libraries. But it was always something minimally priced. Maybe California schools are not so bad as I thought.
I do purchase lots of things for Ted's classroom now because I know how crunched the budgets are. And it is fun for me. I want to make sure he has plenty of fun things to do in his basic (kindergarten) class. This week I purchased feathers and felt for a project I am helping put together for them for October. I do have a lot of fun with this.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359777 Aug 26th, 2012 at 09:48 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It is warm here, 84*, and to get warmer this week. Did you get all your haying done today, Sunny?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359779 Aug 26th, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Diane: That list looks like an "all year" list--esp the paper----so perhaps you are done for the year????

here, it did get up to 91 today , but with a breeze. and then it cooled off & began to do a soft rain---and that will be welcomed. we could use a slow soaking rain...

I am tired, but I will stay up for awhile yet--it is too early for dante to go out one last time for the night--and I will want to sleep in the morning----

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina #359780 Aug 26th, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
It is nearly time for me to go to bed. Or rather time that I feel I can put Teddy to bed so I can go. It has been a good weekend. I am looking forward to the next long weekend already. After that the kid is in school 5 days a week until Thanksgiving. That is a long stretch for him and for the teachers.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359781 Aug 26th, 2012 at 08:13 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I hope that this is just an early morning walk thru. I have slept for 6 hours---but I would like it to be 8...We shall see. why

Gee, I do not like the long weeks of school--I never did, and I really appreciate school holidays.
Tina, may the time fly by fast for both you and Ted.

I just went and checked---all together, we got an inch & 3/10 of rain yesterday evening & over night----This should help the beans. On top of the other rain we have gotten, maybe we will all be able to afford food next year after all. We can hope. Plus I think they "were" forcasting more rain for today.. why

Well, me and my luke-warm coffee bid you Adieu. wavy

P.S. I meant to mention last night---I agree with Sunny... when I went to school, our lists were not so long or as detailed.
As for my kids---I think they had to bring 3 boxes of Kleenex so that the school could put them out all thru the year, but not so much of the other stuff---why would anyone need to have 4 boxes of 24 colors on hand, not to mention 10 glue sticks at once--(unless the haves get to share with the have-nots ?)
MY girls also did not have to buy all of their paper or other supplies. much of what they used was included in the registration fee they were charged, and was supplied to them as they needed it thru the year by the school.
But then my girls went to a parochial school. why Perhaps that is the difference ??
Still I say I would not want to be sending children to school in today's world----I think the cost would be very burdensome.....I know I heard that some schools were considering "making" their families buy the children (grade school this was) I-pads for school---Can you see someone with many children, like Diane, being forced to do that???--Does anyone even care what kind of $$ families actually bring in anymore?
I was outraged enough when my DD's had to buy expensive calculators for h/s math classes---I cannot imagine buying an i-pad for a grade schooler.. nono

________

Tina #359782 Aug 26th, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I agree Carol..the school system has gone crazy with their demands. It's so nice of you to help out Tina, I bet Teddy's teacher loves you.

Tina, we got what was cut baled and taken in. I am still far from done. If I would have known that today was a dry day again, we would have cut more but they were calling for rain on Monday that has since disappeared. It reached 101* zoink

Supposed to be in the 90's today..and I have yard work to tackle. We'll be seeing snow flurries in 6 weeks, so strange how weather changes.

JunieGirl #359783 Aug 26th, 2012 at 10:23 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

I think they "were" forcasting more rain for today.. why

Well, me and my luke-warm coffee bid you Adieu. wavy

P.S. I meant to mention last night---I agree with Sunny... when I went to school, our lists were not so long or as detailed.
As for my kids---I think they had to bring 3 boxes of Kleenex so that the school could put them out all thru the year, but not so much of the other stuff---why would anyone need to have 4 boxes of 24 colors on hand, not to mention 10 glue sticks at once--(unless the haves get to share with the have-nots ?)
MY girls also did not have to buy all of their paper or other supplies. much of what they used was included in the registration fee they were charged, and was supplied to them as they needed it thru the year by the school.
But then my girls went to a parochial school. why Perhaps that is the difference ??
Still I say I would not want to be sending children to school in today's world----I think the cost would be very burdensome.....I know I heard that some schools were considering "making" their families buy the children (grade school this was) I-pads for school---Can you see someone with many children, like Diane, being forced to do that???--Does anyone even care what kind of $$ families actually bring in anymore?
I was outraged enough when my DD's had to buy expensive calculators for h/s math classes---I cannot imagine buying an i-pad for a grade schooler.. nono

we are getting more rain as well could be because of the hurricane coming?
WE don't have registration fees here in Tx, Enrollment is free as why parents have to supply everything,,I do believe as you said all the extra boxes of crayons and stuff like that is for the "have Nots" that can't afford to supply their student with everything on the list.They do have ipads at the school but not enough for every student, I wouldn't be surprised if that became a new item on "the List" rolz
One more hour and we leave to take Julian to school with a heavy box full of supplies,, the TV station FOX 4 is at his school this morning,interviewing parents,, maybe we will be on the news egad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina #359784 Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I bought Teddy an iPad a few weeks ago. He loves that thing. He is really a bit of a whiz navigating on it. But it was not a school requirement. Just something I knew he would love to have and could use to help him communicate.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359785 Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning all,

I agree with the school lists... with the grands lists it's just crazy- our teachers want name brands of the pencils and crayons.. and about twice as many cleaning wipes, tissue boxes, paper towels, zip lock bags.. name brands on those too... well sorry- if store brands are good enough for our homes they are good enough for school... and yes they have to share the crayons and pencils with whole class.. on the Fri before school started they have the kids go with all their stuff and dump it all in bins in the class room... paper too which I think each one had to have 3 pkgs. each.. not to mention the flash drive Timothy had to have to do the homework that is only online... one reason we got them a comp to use at our house... I think even with all the coupons and sales on stuff it cost Carrie about 150 to get the boys stuff for school this yr and in Jan there will be another list of stuff they need... that is besides school clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc.. and the fancy calculator Joseph had to have in high school... that was 100.. and the first one was stolen.. hope he has it still for Timothy ... bet he doesn't though...

The special school my two autistic grands go to got grants for the kids to get ipads too, since one of them is not verbal and the other is it has worked wonders with the communication dept... the non verbal one had a very fancy gadget they gave him that allowed him to communicate , but he kept figuring out the password to it and reprogramming it to speak in Chinese or French so they gave up on that one... the therapist that taught him how to use it couldn't even figure out how to so that but he sure did... may not talk but but he is sure smarter than some of his teachers in figuring things out..LOL!

We warmed up to the 90's again this week, evening are still cooler but daytimes get pretty warm... think it will be our last heat though.. we could have snow fly soon too... sure doesn't feel like it right now but sure could happen.. but if this yr is like last it won't be till Oct, tv weather said this is our 92 day of plus 90* heat in Colorado... and there is not global warming... ?
Well off to get my breakfast... got to clean out my office today... it's a mess again- everyting ends up in there ..LOL!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Nana's15 #359786 Aug 27th, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Nana's15
Morning all,

I agree with the school lists... with the grands lists it's just crazy- our teachers want name brands of the pencils and crayons.. and about twice as many cleaning wipes, tissue boxes, paper towels, zip lock bags.. name brands on those too... well sorry- if store brands are good enough for our homes they are good enough for school... and yes they have to share the crayons and pencils with whole class.. on the Fri before school started they have the kids go with all their stuff and dump it all in bins in the class room... paper too which I think each one had to have 3 pkgs. each.. not to mention the flash drive Timothy had to have to do the homework that is only online... one reason we got them a comp to use at our house... I think even with all the coupons and sales on stuff it cost Carrie about 150 to get the boys stuff for school this yr and in Jan there will be another list of stuff they need... that is besides school clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc.. and the fancy calculator Joseph had to have in high school... that was 100.. and the first one was stolen.. hope he has it still for Timothy ... bet he doesn't though...

I am really appreciating California schools more and more. I think most kids need that special calculator in high school. My oldest did. It was not $100 back then but the $30 was a killer. And she did still have it for her little brother after.

The special school my two autistic grands go to got grants for the kids to get ipads too, since one of them is not verbal and the other is it has worked wonders with the communication dept... the non verbal one had a very fancy gadget they gave him that allowed him to communicate , but he kept figuring out the password to it and reprogramming it to speak in Chinese or French so they gave up on that one... the therapist that taught him how to use it couldn't even figure out how to so that but he sure did... may not talk but but he is sure smarter than some of his teachers in figuring things out..LOL!

This is what Teddy keeps doing. He has a Go Talk he uses at school. With his iPad he has taken hundreds of pictures of himself in all different formats. He hate cameras!
I hid things in files I did not want him messing with (the camera for one) and he found them. If he learns my password to order stuff online, I may be in trouble. I need to spend time with it and figure out some parental controls.

We warmed up to the 90's again this week, evening are still cooler but daytimes get pretty warm... think it will be our last heat though.. we could have snow fly soon too... sure doesn't feel like it right now but sure could happen.. but if this yr is like last it won't be till Oct, tv weather said this is our 92 day of plus 90* heat in Colorado... and there is not global warming... ?
Well off to get my breakfast... got to clean out my office today... it's a mess again- everyting ends up in there ..LOL!
Nana

It is to be upper 90's here this week as well. I am trying to get on top of my neglected housework. I am pleased with my progress.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359787 Aug 27th, 2012 at 05:23 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I am glad that the schools do have some ipads for teh children that can benefit from them, & I am glad that you could afford to get Teddy one, Tina---I am sure he is also benefiting from its uses..but to have a whole school demand that a family buy them for their children is crazy.

As I remember the registrstion fee was between $150 & $250 for each of my girls (in grade school)
With my oldest DD we paid well over $100. for the calculator that she had to have for school (certain brand, certain calculator)--and she graduateed H/S in 1998 !! But she either gave hers to her younger sister OR her sister went & bought her own--my little one was like that back then.

I do remember that when my youngest was i n 8th grade (she graduated in 2000) all teh children had to give power point presentations--and no one but us here had power point---(we only had it beause it was in the software package we got with our computer) At that time teh program was at least $200. Emily was letting the whole rooom copy from it---(I am sure we broke some kind of law lol) Now, I think that was wrong of teh school to require that... why
But the fees and lists are crazy these days, I know we would be hard pressed to comply.

________

Tina #359788 Aug 27th, 2012 at 06:57 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I raised my older kids without television. When they were sent home to watch a particular show, I sent a note in that it was not happening. I told the teachers to find an alternative project for my kids without affecting their grades.
I had a very busy morning. I went and finished up a lot of errands. I am going to nap and think about vacuuming when I get up.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359789 Aug 27th, 2012 at 07:16 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Just in to say hi...I had yardwork to do all day. Now it is thundering and pouring..and I don't mind one bit thumbup

Tina #359790 Aug 27th, 2012 at 09:40 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad you got a fine day to get work done, Sunny. I have still not vacuumed. I painted some tubes for Ted's class and I am fixing dinner now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359792 Aug 27th, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Well, one good thing I can say about when Rachel was in school....we didn't have all those lists of stuff to buy...we bought stuff when they needed it. New stuff (crayons, paper, pencils, etc) at the beginning of the year and then as needed. The thing that broke me up when she was in school was gymnastics lessons twice a week (not part of school...but because she wanted to be a cheerleader...so I took her to a group lesson once a week and then had a private lesson once a week...)....then when she was a cheerleader it cost a fortune for the outfits, shoes, pom poms, etc. But, I'm not complaining...she was a straight A student, in the Gifted and Talented program and had 4 college credits before she was in high school...then got a scholarship to good art/design college in Georgia when she graduated.

I have been laying low today...just took a shower and saw myself in the mirror when I got out and couldn't believe all the bruises on me from falling. When I fall I don't just do a half-@ss job at it...I go for a gold medal.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Tina #359793 Aug 27th, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Some gold is not worth that effort, Cindy. You do need to take care of yourself.
I have cooked dinner and eaten and now I am sleepy. Just marking time until I can talk Teddy into going to bed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #359794 Aug 27th, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I just took my pills and will be heading to bed soon, too....hopefully.
...if I can pull myself away from Pink Floyd.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
afgreyparrot #359795 Aug 27th, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
well I am finally going to bed--well soon anyway.
Tomorrow begins an early day, sad to say...
g'nite everyone wavy

________

Tina #359796 Aug 27th, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~closed~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,911
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image