Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
The swiss steak sounds good....and the future meals already done is great---
I do not think I would like that jalapeno soup... why

James---ya gotta love (not) insurance companies.....
it just slays me hoe THEY get to decide what meds a person should take--- nono

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
James---ya gotta love (not) insurance companies.....
it just slays me hoe THEY get to decide what meds a person should take--- nono
Yeah, verdict is that they will NOT cover the "safer" medication until I take the "other" medication and determine to have side effects... Nevermind that the side effect that I have issues with is a little one called DEATH...

:rollseyes:

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
I'm actually surprised when my insurance DOES cover something these days. They used to cover my Restasis, which I use 6 times a day...now they won't cover it. I can't afford the $200+ a month for it. Seems like they don't cover much of anything anymore.

A doctor ordered a cat scan for me (my guts) on March 8th...I just assumed it would be covered. The insurance company called today to "let me know that they have approved my cat scan"! touched

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
at least you guys have insurance, I don't boohoo But IF I did I wouldn't be complaining about anything,cuz every little bit helps.
I just had my RX's filled and it cost me 320 dollars, out of pocket for a 30 day supply for ONE med, not to mention 130$ for nitro patches for 30 days as well as the other 5 meds I take daily, that fortunately are on the 4 dollar list. I spend close to 500 a month just for meds, I would do anything to have health insurance right now, ONly the 3 boys have it and I can barley afford for them to have it.With my pre existing heart problems health insurance for me will be as much as my rent, so do I pay rent and keep a roof over my head, or be homeless on the strength of having health insurance, touched

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Cindy, at least you were told before you had the scan that it was covered---I routinely got letters saying whatever it was, was going to be covered months after I had had said item.

My DH's work changed the health insurance, and now I pay $10.00 MORE for each co-pay at my DRs., for just a beginning--and the deductable is $500.00 more a year that it was--& it was $2500. for each of us, and that is in-network. We pay the same for it all--(me thinks the companies portion is way less though)...and there was a small raise in Rod's wages--but then we get that and then some more taken from his check for taxes & such( DH is bringing home $60.00 less a pay check, than say a year ago---and things cost more & more all the time---

DH will turn 62 in October of this year. The 2 people that got to the same age where my DH works heard for the first time at the monthly meeting a few months before their 62nd B-day that they were "retiring".--well, we can't afford for Rod to retire until we are both on Medicare.......so if he loses his j ob, I have no idea what we will do....and no, no one will hire a 60 yr old lady, I have tried--for years...
The car is 13 years old & the truck is 6 years old, and I do not see being able to get new ones ever---I could go on for days.... egad
but I will spare you all.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry, Carol. Life's expenses are really tough right now.
I looked and and studied and looked around and decided to invest in food. Food items I bought last year are about 20% more this year on average. That is a bigger return than I get on my IRA. And food has never, ever gone down. I am certainly enjoying it all. I love to cook and plan meals. I like the idea of being ready if something happens.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
at least you guys have insurance, I don't boohoo But IF I did I wouldn't be complaining about anything,cuz every little bit helps.

sorry..... blush
...I will not complain anymore.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot

sorry..... blush
...I will not complain anymore.

yea ok I will not either--but you know, what it boils down to, I guess is that we all of us have our problems, it is just that we each have different problems. teach why

I think I am finally tired enough to be able to go to sleep--nite nite wavy

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thankfully here all procedures and operations are covered...but I do know people who had to give up good jobs to go on Welfare so that medication would be covered. All their pay was going to cover meds and leaving them with no money to eat.

Snowing here still...but pretty sticky snow, the trees are covered.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sunny even if I were to quit my job I couldn't get on welfare,, they don't give adults welfare here,, only the children of adults.Unless you are on disability, or Social security, then adults don't get any help. I did apply for medical assistance thru a hospital, But I didn't meet the requirements to get RX prescriptions assistance, they said I make too much money,even tho my Rx's use 1/4 of my take home income. touched Only when I reach retirement age will I get any help at all, and I'm not even sure then if SS retirement will even be in existence any more nervous .

The boys have dentist appts' this morning,, FUN uhuhh lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Originally Posted by Gremelin
Originally Posted by suzydaze
shopping in Texas
[Linked Image]
That could either be really good or quite horrible... lol...

I've been waiting on a call back from my doctors office since Wednesday about my new RX; evidently it's not covered by my insurance and I'm supposed to have been on it since Monday lol...
Pretty good actually I have an adopted daughter who lives in Sawmill Az. every once in a while she will stop by and make me some Jalapeno soup and her mother always sent me home made Jalapeno jelly good enough to kill for.

as for Ins. I got a raise in my SS retirement but then they raised the cost of medicare to more then $10.00 more then my SS raise only thing is I don't pay office calls to my main dr but the others I have to go to cost $20.00 every time they do their check on my heart and legs costs me $1000.00 for each test that is after medicare pays what little they pay.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good afternoon. I got up and started right in on some of my outdoor stuff today. Before ever turning on my computer. Then I ran into town to do some banking. I am seriously considering a nap about now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
We have the guys coming out to start laying our solar panels on Monday; this weekend seems to be the weekend of cleaning out the garage so they can get started... It'll be over the next few weeks too, so I have to get everything straitened around for the solar guys, the guy from the city, zoning, etc... "fun" :/... lol

Plus Monday afternoon I have a dietitian from the hospital coming over to discuss diabetes and all that fun stuff... Evidently drinking a v8 for breakfast, one for lunch, and having a decent sized dinner isn't "healthy" as a continued diet... Even though I lost ~140lbs with it...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
back from the dentist,, shoe shopping and going out to eat,, It's been a good day outing with the boys,, grin

Congrats on your weight loss James,, unfortunately some of the foods can't be eaten as a diabetic,, you'd be surprised what foods turn to sugar once digested.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
you'd be surprised what foods turn to sugar once digested.

yes I know---I do not have diabetes, but my cholesterol meds have given me the perchance to have a higher than usual sugar levels, so I am well aware of said foods----some days I think I should just eat non-starchy veggies touched

________

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I have a pretty simple diet since I started loosing weight.. A V8 at about 8am, another at about 10am, a snack at about noon, a snack at about 2, and a decent sized dinner at about 5... Evidently it's unhealthy as V8 has so many carbs... And heaven forbid that I want to have a sandwich; "Daves Killer Bread" has a lot of carbs and several sugars per slice... They're joking if they expect me to give up sandwiches and pizza; i don't ask for much on cheat days, comeon...

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I hear you----if I cut out carbs, it would be a sad day in my household...

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I live on carbs. I crave pasta. Well, I also crave veggies.
It turned into a busy-ish day and my afternoon nap never occurred. I will be heading to bed early.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Morning, ........ Sunday Breakfast ,, sausage, Eggs, biscuits and gravy,hashbrowns,ruby red sweet grapefruit sections, pineapple/orange juice . Hot choc/coffee/, Up and at 'M ~~~~~~Time to eat,,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
you get to eat grapefruit ?? no fair !! Please eat some for me, OK ????...Or were you just offering up some food for us here in the CH ???

Bad enough for me that I am going to eat lunchmeat today---& I was told to never ever eat lunchmeat---and never even so much as a hot dog, not even a turkey dog--- nono

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
yes I can eat grapefruit why not?????

and yep this is CH breakfast,, but I also made it this morning at home,, LOL

I eat deli meat all the time,, can't do the turkey burgers or turkey dogs,or turkey bacon,, Nope Not gonna happen.. Nasty eeeyyuk!

Last edited by angelblossom; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Thinking about Dodge,, Hope she is feeling better,, kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Good morning!

Thought I'd chime in here about the foods you all are talking about.

Firstly - James - congratulations on your weight loss - that is fantastic!

Diane - many of us are not supposed to eat grapefruit or drink the juice because aside from having a lot of sugar in it, it's been found to increase the effects (dosages) of some medications, which can be serious, depending on what particular meds one is taking. Of course there are people/drs who are on each side of that thought, so I say proceed with caution. I was told not to consume it, but I do enjoy a fresh grapefruit every now and then, and also really like the red grapefruit/tangerine juice that my grocery store has private label.

As for deli meats and processed foods such as hot dogs, turkey dogs, and sausages, they contain nitrates, but also TONS of salt, which as you know, are not good for those of us with high blood pressure, or those who have had heart issues. I haven't had any of those foods in a very long time, and a few weeks ago we got deli meats for a quick dinner. I could barely eat it because of the salty taste. Good thing I don't like it anymore - makes it easier to avoid.

By the way... V8 iS LOADED with salt! Even the light ones.

Anywho... I won 4 free tickets to a comedy club in our large mall for tonight, so I am going with my friend and her mother. The comedian is Orny Adams - never heard of him, but he's worked with Jerry Seinfeld, David Letterman, and writes for Jay Leno and Gary Shandling among others. Should be a fun evening out. The catch is that we each have to order 2 items - food or drinks, but last time I was there they had a very nice salad. Fun times!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Lynne wavy grin Good info you had there,
Have fun at the Comedy show,, We have free tickets here too and you have to order two items.You'll have a good time, comedy shows are always fun, grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks for all the info, Lynne---and yep you are spot on,... thanks for saying it so eloquently--Diane, it was a statin I was referring to, I would think you would be on one. ???.....
....I LOVE red grapefruit.....and I truely miss having it. tears

I had 1/2 a hogie sandwich with deli meats on it today for lunch----I thought that was plenty of a bad thing...

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
carol are you talking about pravastatin ? My doctor has never mentioned not eating grapefruit ever... I wonder why he hadn't?? I eat grapefruit almost daily too zoink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yep that is one--and yes---there should be a sticker on your bottle---that or did you get a printout with your meds ever??- next time you are at the pharmacy I would ask the pharmasist about it--& There is a time frame--like several hours before & after taking it to avoid grapefruit--but mine told me it is best to avoid it all together---
\
BUT you will be glad to know that statins can cause your blood sugar levels to raise, but pravastatin is one that usually does not--lucky you...
I was on it in the beginning, but as the pravastatin was not doing it's job on my body I had to be switched to Lipitor, but I take the generic, as my ins. company said so...GRRRRRRR BUT still no grapefruit for carol.

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I section the grapefruit and take it for my lunch so that is at least 7 hours before I take it(I take it around 8 pm) I'm going to have to go look at the papers I got with my RX, I just had filled.

Nothing in my paper about it, so I looked it up,, this is all I could find about Pravastatin and Grapefruit

Grapefruit and Pravachol do not appear to significantly interact with one another. Therefore, people taking Pravachol do not need to avoid grapefruit products (such as grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and grapefruit supplements). However, some of the other statins (such as Zocor) are affected by grapefruit products. It is thought that grapefruit interferes with an enzyme the body uses to break down these medications. This interaction can increase the chances of developing a serious muscle problem or other complications.

The combination of pravastatin and grape fruit may cause damages of the muscles (fibromyalgia), however this is more common for Lipitor and Zocor.
I will ask my doc next week,,, thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
biscuits and gravy are my favorite breakfast item...

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Love me some Bisc'N Gravy too grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I like biscuits and home made gravy too. I rarely eat it because of the nutrition value but home made gravy is so good.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am not fond of biscuits and gravy. I love biscuits slathered in butter though. I wish my oven baked more evenly so I could really enjoy them. It may be a good thing it doesn't.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Good morning coffee I was babysitting my grandchildren all weekend so it is good to be back in my little cubbyhole.

The sun was nice yesterday but with a COLD wind and the news says another winter storm is moving in....half the time they're not right.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi all....

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. Keep safe in your winter weather, Shirley. You too, Sunny. We are to get cold and maybe another thin layer of snow late this week.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good morning...Sunny & Shirley, keep safe--and Shirley,. I sure hope that they are wrong--I want spring to be here for us all..Having winter is jsut wrong. :wink:

________

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
hi peeps...be packing some winter stuff up this week to take home. Should be really warm here from now til end of the school year. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I like biscuits and home made gravy too. I rarely eat it because of the nutrition value but home made gravy is so good.

me too yummy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Morning. I don't think I remember what biscuits taste like but I do know I used to like biscuits and gravy as long as the gravy didn't have chunks of sausage in it. Still not feeling right, still waiting to see my doc.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
whew....happy st patty day here I come lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image