Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#20385 Apr 12th, 2007 at 04:12 AM
teria Offline OP
OP Offline
HI

WE RECENTLY MOVED TO A NEW HOME IN CHICAGO AND AM PLANNING MY 1ST GARDEN.

I HAVE DONE SOME GARDENING BEFORE IN APARTMENTS BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME FOR ME TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY LAY OUT AND PLAN MT GARDEN.

ANY TIPS WOULD BE WELCOME.

RIGHT NOW I'M INTERESTED IN SOIL AUGMENTATION AND SELECTING GOOD BASE PLANTINGS..I LOVE FLOWERING SHRUBS/BUSHES AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE OF YOU IN COLDER CLIMATES

I'M ALSO BOUND AND DETERMINED TO ENJOY TOMATOES THIS YEAR

THANKS IN ADVANCE

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Moving this to Gardener's Chat..
You'll find it in the last column in the Banter Hall!!!

There's lot's of good reading here.
and in the ARCHIVES, so, have a good read
until someone comes thru and helps you along
with your new garden!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by teria
RIGHT NOW I'M INTERESTED IN SOIL AUGMENTATION AND SELECTING GOOD BASE PLANTINGS..

I'M ALSO BOUND AND DETERMINED TO ENJOY TOMATOES THIS YEAR

COMPOST, COMPOST, COMPOST..
I can never say enough about compost..
If you can eventually make your own..
*Now that you're in your own home, that's possible*
if not, there's loads you can usually purchase at your
local nurseries... and some times in bags even at local nurseries or venue's that sell gardening items...

There's loads of Composting ideas in the Organic Gardening section..

And there's a section just for Tomatoes in the Vegetable section.. so, head on over to either of these parts..
*there's a BIG amount of gardener's that grow and are very passionate about their tomatoes here...so, don't hesitate to ask*

If you need help, navigating or such, give a holler..
always glad to help....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hi teria, and welcome.

Do you have any pics of your yard, it also helps if we know your exact zone, yard size and sun or shade locations. The main thing we can all agree on here is to take it slow and a little at a time.

Waiting to hear more.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Greetings Teria -

I posted a few tomato tips for you in the tomato subforum located within the Food Garden Forum Header.

teria Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for getting back to me with the useful links. I'm a very irregular computer user. I'm all dug up and augmented with some gypsum and mushroom compost and humus...now if the weather will just cooperate,,,I'm just sure we're gonna freeze again.

Thanks again and happy digging

Happy Days,
Teria
teria Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for getting back to me. O.K. I'm one of those computer illiterate people who has no clue as to how to even begin getting a photo up here....pathetic I know. On the up side I speak 5 languages. I'm in zone 5...Chicago and I've got great sun for a city gal. South facing house with a nice deep backyard. I've dug out the vegetable garden about 5'by 5' and augmented the soil with gypsum, mushroom compost and humus. I located it in the back of the backyard along a side fence ( I figured I could do cukes up the fence). I've got seeds for lettuce spinach and beets for direct sowing and started seeds for tomatoes, cukes and basil. That's about as far as I got. I love flowering shrubs and want to put some in the front. Again, I have a fence along the side (ugly chain link) and was thinking of a climbing rose. I also love lilacs, hydrangeas and forsythia. My question is hardiness...so I'm looking for good varieties. Thanks again for the welcom

Happy Days,
Teria
teria Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the tip on the tomato forum! I'm gonna go check it out.

Happy Days,
Teria
5k Posts
5k Posts
you can grow morning glories, sweet peas, cup and saucer vines, or any other vine you might like up your chain fence. o honeysuckles would look nice too! i wish i had a chain link fence going around my yard to grow all kinds of vines on, lol i would go crazy planting climing roses!
i also have forsythias! every year i cut pices off and stick em in the ground along the bottom of the yard for a living fence, they realy grow fast!

Last edited by sibyl; May 1st, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: oops

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
rose of sharons and butterfly bushes, are good for zones 4-9

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'm in zone 4. I have lilacs, hydrangeas and forsythias. Spireas, ninebarks also grow well. The only problem I have with roses are the Hybrid teas. The cold kills them over the winter. Floribundas and Rugosas are the toughest.

Christy, rose of sharon and butterfly bushes die here as well.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
5k Posts
5k Posts
Originally Posted by teria
Thanks for getting back to me. O.K. I'm one of those computer illiterate people who has no clue as to how to even begin getting a photo up here....pathetic I know. On the up side I speak 5 languages. I'm in zone 5...Chicago and I've got great sun for a city gal. South facing house with a nice deep backyard. I've dug out the vegetable garden about 5'by 5' and augmented the soil with gypsum, mushroom compost and humus. I located it in the back of the backyard along a side fence ( I figured I could do cukes up the fence). I've got seeds for lettuce spinach and beets for direct sowing and started seeds for tomatoes, cukes and basil. That's about as far as I got. I love flowering shrubs and want to put some in the front. Again, I have a fence along the side (ugly chain link) and was thinking of a climbing rose. I also love lilacs, hydrangeas and forsythia. My question is hardiness...so I'm looking for good varieties. Thanks again for the welcom

loli remember when i first started using the computer, i use to google the garden helper.com just to find my way back here!..for pics youll need to load them on a photo hosting site to bring them here, lots of us use photobucket.com its free!

tamara i know what ya mean! im zone 6 so if i buy a plant thats good for zone 5 and up im good, but if its zone 6 and up i have to watch it cause they wont always handle my winters rolz tea roses make great container plants! wonder if you could grow them in huge pots and tore them in your barn or garage for winter? you could toss some hay or blankets around then to help keep the freezin cold off?

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,924
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image