Rate Thread
#2609 Mar 25th, 2007 at 07:15 AM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
ok, this is like my Nth time doing this, but I've never had any luck so far, hopefully I will with the help of some experts! Is it possible to take cuttings now? I want to have these rooted well before the end of April so I can take them to our new house if at all possible. I've never had luck takin cuttings of anything so any advice at all woul dbe appreciated. I'v eread through also 5 pages of links from google an dhave tried just about everything they suggested...how do you guys do it? (I could very well just buy some bybrid tea for $8 each but I'm not sure when we're going to costco again, and considering only $5 a week and 'other' expenses to pay for, I really don't have the extra $$$$$ for them)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #2777 Mar 25th, 2007 at 11:32 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't know kenny, but i wish you luck!

#2909 Mar 25th, 2007 at 02:52 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
most rose bushes are grafted to root stock. so, taking cuttings may give you a rose bush - it may not survive over the years tho.

might have to go to the old site and do a search for info...i know there have been numerous mentions about taking cuttings from roses.

iirc, you'll need to treat the cut end with rooting hormone and put it in soil.

you could also 'air-layer' to start roots going...if you're moving soon, tho, that wouldn't be feasible for you.

how's the weather where you are? it might be to early to take any cuttings yet.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #2951 Mar 25th, 2007 at 03:38 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
weather's starting to show signs of spring, i even see some of my sedum and daff's poking their heads up, but no peonies yet. I would like to assume that the weather continues to warm up!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #3737 Mar 26th, 2007 at 06:33 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Most of my success has been over the winter.and the best year has been THIS winter.I stuck a few in ground in beds where wanted them& 3 have made it.I have about 5 cuttings that have made it back by scrap pile that sat in a hanging basket...cause simply the soil wasn't being used at time(morning glory finished) my long wild pink once blooming rose....I stuck a few canes under the soil and have dug up the starter plants.MIL's is planted& SIL may have killed hers as it hung on my fence for 2 days and then she left it in her truck (she's asked me if it will live....she has it in water.its leaves have dried) Try 1 year old wood.it will take at LEAST 8 weeks.I think if your weather is still cool and your roses are still dormant....it might work. I didn't use rooting hormone this year. I rooted my red rose for my sister& step dad about 6 years ago.His has not bloomed but I hear its in shade.Sis's is doing great.she said in its 3rd year it took off& tripled in size.
My luck may be due to my humidity year round.I ignored them completly too.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image