Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well Sheri, I didnt clean much----I finished my wash & I descaled my coffeemaker--but what I thought was allergies is apparently a cold----so I didnt do much---

well I fixed a very nice meal for Rodney (meatloaf, mashed potatoes & gravy & cooked carrots.) & a coffeecake for desert. he was in heaven....The good news is I made so much that he will have a repeat tomorow night. ME, I think I will be eating soup.

Going to bed early, to hopefully get rid of this cold.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Originally Posted by Tina
Busy day today. But I need to take advantage of any cool days we have. I think we are breaking coolness records for these dates.

I saw this and just had to agree. I think for weather around here, these are some really cool days and nights...it was 55 degree's here last night and the days have been really nice for the last few and the next few. I just don't want summer to end too quickly though, I don't like the winter very much. It always last way too long for me.

I've been reading your chats here and it all seems very easy. Hope you guys don't mind if I chirp in every once in a while? Not that a whole lot goes on with me to discuss and certainly nothing very exciting, but it is fun reading about what other people are doing in their day to day lives.

Well, it is after 10PM and I bet most of you are turning in just like me, if not already in!

Good night!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Mary,, Just missed ya. Of course you can jump in any time. We change subjects a lot here so that's fine too.
Good Night every one,, snooz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Morning flwr

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning, Coffee in hand here....wavy
MJ---I guess I missed that---So reading what Diane put, I guess your name is Mary Jane ???

Glad that you found The Coffee House. Of course we are happy to have you here, and yes, we change topics here often---we all just say what we want to, well no profanity. Sometimes we just speak, & sometimes we answer the other members posts and sometimes we do both.-- Reading back just keeps us up on everyone. WE have all found some very good friends here.

Have you seen the shout box to the right of the page ? We post in it as well.
And then there is a game room, just for fun. It is a subforum in Banter Hall, whose threads go to 100 as well, before we begin new ones. Those posts you will not find listed in the active topics area. At one time they were there but it clogged up the list too much & made it hard to find what we were looking for. So now it is not there.

Earlier I had you confused with another new member that I welcomed. Rplanter is also from Missouri. Gee, It is nice meeting people that are sorta in my area.

I have been up awhile. and yes this is a cold---but the good news is, I am not running a fever. Yep, I too love this type of weather, but my DH sakid that he thought it meant an early winter. I sure hope not. Raining here today, which is good. One less day of watering for me that way. thumbup

First I am taking the Blazer to the mechanics & then he will take me to ceramics.--Ya gotta love Tuesday !!! party

I wish everyone a good one !!!

________

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Good morning everyone coffee

It's nice and cool here this morning too. It sort of feels like fall. I don't want winter to come for a looooooooong time though! rspb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
G'morning, Shirley. I don't want winter to come for a long time either--in fact it would suit me to have this weather all up until spring & then start over... bow

66*F here right now...

________

Good morning to all of you! I have to say there are a few of you posting in the Coffee House. Hopefully I will get you all straight eventually, who, where and what your lives are like...it is fun to meet new friends, as where I am at, not a lot of people to just converse with.

And as Juniegirl said, coffee in hand, well me too. It is raining and 70 here, all windows are open. I love the windows open.

Phones ringing, so gotta go to work!

Oh, and I will try to get on top of your names too, but forgive me if I call someone the wrong name.

Oh and MJ is first and last...Mary Aline is actually my name, but I just use Mary. You can call me whatever comes easiest for you...HAVE A GREAT DAY TO ALL!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. And welcome to the coffee house, Mary.
I am Tina. 62 year old widow. Mother of 5, the first 3 I had in my 20's and the last 2 in my 40's. My oldest turns 41 today and my youngest is 19. I was born and raised in southern California but moved around as an adult. Then back home to finish up my life outside my hometown again. I routinely kill houseplants but can grow well outdoors most of what I want as long as the critters don't snack too much.
I had to ask people's names forever before I got it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good afternoon all...we are sure getting a soaking this week. Makes it easier to pull weeds though.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Good morning. Welcome, Mary. I just got a call for a job interview this afternoon. If its more pay and benefits I'll take it. I'll still keep this job for extra funds.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Thank you Tina...I am 56, but think I'm 26 sometimes and probably act 16 the other times...which is a time consuming job for my husband to try and keep me in check! I have 2 sons, 35 and 33 and that brings me to a great guilt trip I am on this week. Sunday was my youngest birthday and I forgot to call him...did not realize it was the 28th, until he texted me. I still feel horrible.
I love houseplants and flowers for the outside too. I have a deck and that is my "garden". I love solar lights as Diane and I have discussed before, for me they are magical at night. I also really enjoy fishing. Some of the best of times is fishing with my grandkids, they all love it too. I have 5 grandkids.
Born and raised Houston, TX...moved around in TX for the most of my life and even lived in Albq, NM for awhile. Went to Arkansas to be with my husband (that is a story in itself) after we got together and we eventually moved to Missouri.

Yes, alot said there, sometimes not sure when to shut up!

Originally Posted by chermoni
Welcome, Mary. I just got a call for a job interview this afternoon.

Thank you for the welcome and good luck on the job interview!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Cheryl, Good luck with the job interview.

Just back in from ceramics & Lunch.

Mary, I am a 61 yr old mother of 2 girls. 33 & 27...yep, same marriage same father--- lol
Carol Jean is my Christian name. No need to remember it, as it is at the bottom of my posts. shewinks

I have the screen name of JunieGirl, because my Aunt calls me Junie as I was born in June, & when I joined the Forum, Junie was taken so I chose JunieGirl. I was born & raised around the area that I live in. My hometown is 6 miles away.
I do have family scattered all over the USA though. MY father came from a family of 12.

I like plants & flowers, & birds. I kill some houseplants & manage to keep some alive. I do ceramics and sometimes quilt. The quilting is usually just small projects like Christmas Tree skirts, though.
Today is my oldest daughter's wedding anniversary.

Our rain has stopped but it is still cool, overcast & damp.

________

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi Mary and all,

I am Sherri...62, married, also knows as Nana here... cause I have 15 grands, ages from 23 down to 8 .. 10 of them boys, have 3 kids, d 45, son, 41 and daughter 35... been married twice.. this one is a keeper been together 36 yrs now... We live in Co but lived in Az before... I am soon to be a great grandmother.. oldest granddaughter is due in Sept.. on bedrest now to get as far along as they can get her.. she is having a girl and I am starting her floor blanket today... she is 32 weeks now....
I manage not to kill to many houseplants.. they do better when I ignore them most of time...LOL! don't garden much outside... kids and grands keep me busy.. hubby does outside flowers and yard... do have roses that are doing very well this year..

Well off to start laying out that blanket... see how far I can go getting it pinned together...
have a good afternoon all!
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good luck on that job, Cheryl. I know you have been stressing it all.
And, Nana. Good luck on your blanket projects.
It is this time of day that I am glad that I build in a nap in my schedule. Even if I don't sleep, the rest does my body good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina, that is an excellent idea--to build a nap into the days schedule. Mind if I "borrow" that idea ??? sounds like a good one to me...

________

If I've missed saying thank you to a welcome post, consider this THANK YOU AND I FEEL EXTREMELY WELCOME!
Cheryl - Hope that interview went well!
Carol - Thank you for your info...I will be trying to put info to post as I go, to get a better feel of where we all come from..
Nana - Well with 15 grandkids and a great one on the way, YOU DESERVE to be called Nana. I will just forget you were ever called Sherri!

Everyone have a nice eve. I am ending my day here at work, but I work out of my home, so don't have far to get home!

It has gotten muggy here, been raining and it stopped. It is now 82, but it is supposed to get down to 67 tonight. I wish it would hurry before I have to turn on my A/C. Don't like shutting my windows. Shuts me in.

I do go on, don't I??

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hello Mary,, Geeeez I missed you again boohoo I don't get off work and home til after 5:00pm. I received your cuttings of Devils back bone today, clap I posted a pic in your thread about them! thumbup they were a little warm but they will perk up quickly in water.

Cheryl Good thoughts coming your way with your job interview,, clap
Nana are you going to post a picture of the blanket when your done? I'd love to see it!
It started out nice this morning and got hotter and hotter,, sure got spoiled on a couple of days in the 80's last week.
We could still use some rain. boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by angelblossom
Hello Mary,, Geeeez I missed you again boohoo I don't get off work and home til after 5:00pm.

So glad you got the Devils Backbone...answered you in the original thread.

No worries about "catching or missing" me, as I work at home and am on my computer ALL DAY LONG. Did you hear that? Let me repeat, ALL DAY LONG!!!

Again, glad the Devils Backbone made it.

I need to figure out the smilley things...I would do all kinds of smilleys!

:o)

Originally Posted by JunieGirl
& I descaled my coffeemaker-

Carol, how did you descale your coffee pot?

I am on a well that deposit lime in EVERYTHING...so the we now have a percolator because all the Mr. Coffee's only lasted 4 months and would get so clogged with lime I would have to go buy another.

So, how did you descale your coffee pot?

Please??

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
mj, if you hit the "Reply" button you have the option for the smilies. neener

Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Or the "Switch to Full Reply Screen" button in the "Quick Reply" box.

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by mj1957

Carol, how did you descale your coffee pot?

Please??

Well, there are many ways to accomplish that, (they sell descaler in the stores)

But here is what I did.

1) put 4 cups of vinegar in your coffeepot & then 4 cups of water. I actually used a bit more vinegar.
2) Put it in the reservoir of your coffeemaker.
3) let sit in it for say 30 minutes.
4) put a coffee filter in your coffee compartment.
5) Run about 1/2 of the vinegar/water mixture thru the
pot then turn the pot off & let it set for at least 1 hour.
6) Now, turn the coffepot back on & let the rest of the mixture run thru the pot. You can repeat the process if you wish. Some instructions say to some do not.
7) Now, run 2 or 3 full pots of clean water thru the pot to rid it of residue vinegar.

The coffeepot should be clean.

PS: If you kept your Mr. Coffee there should be instructions in the pamplet that came with the coffeemaker that explains how to descale it. And for future reference, you could buy bottled water and keep it for just your coffeemaker. I have family that has done that for years. You just have to make sure you use water that you like the taste of.

he instructions I found online said to only descale about every 60 to 80 pots of coffee

PPS: If you wish to descale your perculator, I would just buy some lime-away (not the spray bottle one) & put about 1/2 to 1 cup in the perculator pot, fill it up with water, invert the empty works of the pot into the filled pot & let it all sit for say an hour or so.

Then wash off & rinse well

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The benefits of using the vinegar in your coffee maker is that, although your house smells of vinegar for awhile, when the smell leaves it takes other odors along with it. You end up with a fresher smelling house. A bowl of vinegar and water in your microwave and oven also helps with cleaning those things and their contributions to household odor buildup.
I use an awful lot of vinegar around here for a lot of cleaning.
I have had a headache this evening. I am not sure why. But I will be well tomorrow. I really want to be.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Does that work in Bunn coffeemakers? Where there is water heated all the time?
I guess it should...and I probably need to do it. I buy vinegar several gallons at a time...I use it for everything, even on my hair.

Sorry you got a headache, Tina. I used to get them all the time, but rarely get one anymore (knock on wood).

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Jul 30th, 2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: edited 3 times...lol

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
I do the vinegar in my coffee maker at least once a month, use it to clean my fruits and veggies too... use it for fabric softner too.. mixed with dawn dishsoap for cleaning my bathtub and doors,, use it in a spray bottle for counters and floors.. clean drains with it and baking soda.. use it to wipe down my fridge... and microwave.. boiled in a glass measuring cup then wipe it out- will even get out the smell of burned popcorn... someone did that at hubbys work and he took some and did it in the micro and amazed people... use it to wash out my dishwasher and washing machine too.. works really well. I even boil some in my teakettle once in a while to clean it out... then use it for the drains.. or cleaning something....
Diane I will post a pic of the blanket.. got it pinned together...will sew tomorrow if I don't stay at Carries...

Well off to get to bed soon... I am tired for some reason... who knows may even go to sleep early for a change...

Nite all
Nana

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
Does that work in Bunn coffeemakers? Where there is water heated all the time?
I guess it should...and I probably need to do it. I buy vinegar several gallons at a time...I use it for everything, even on my hair.

Sorry you got a headache, Tina. I used to get them all the time, but rarely get one anymore (knock on wood).

I HATE THIS OLD COMPUTER !!!!!! I just lost a full page of a post.

Now, Cindy I do not know if it would be allowed on your Bunn or not---do you still have the instruction manuel. It should give cleaning direction in it.

Tina: I do so hope that you are NOT getting a summer cold. I have one & they are not to be envied.... uhuhh

I am going to bed soon---so sweet dreams to everyone.
catch you all on the flip side. shewinks

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
With your heavy well water, you need to use a lot of vinegar, Mary. Washer and dishwasher (if you have one). Tubs, sinks and such. It really will help with every place that is exposed to water. It is also easier on a septic system than any of the chemicals. I am also on a well. I use apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse. I have since I was a child. I go through gallons. At least a gallon a month.
A caution about using lime-away. My mother was visiting my cousin and was pleased to find the teapot full of hot water. She fixed herself a cup of hot instant coffee and took a sip. Good thing it was such a small (too hot) sip because she burned her mouth pretty badly.
My headache is a bit better and it will be gone by morning. I don't get them often, thank Goodness.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all. Heading for my pillows soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good morning, I used to use vinegar to clean my coffeepot as well. and water and vinegar for the microwave, vinegar works wonders!

Hump day.. all down hill from here thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning.

I have a well also, and depend on vinegar to clean the deposits also. It's a constant battle.

The sun is shining finally, today will be a day of cleaning windows here.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Good morning everyone. It is a beautiful day here (yesterday was also). Nice and cool, but later on rain is coming.

Mary.... we haven't met yet..... my name is Shirley and it is Shirley4 on here because I have four sons. My first one when I was 27 and the others in my 30's.
They are scattered all over except for the one who lives here in Rocky Mount VA. I have 9 grandchildren.
I love plants, but now have no place to have them.
I live alone......and love it Dodge!...she's always asking me when I'm going to find a
man lol

I am a reader and a quilter. Just got all the fabric cut out for a quilt for my son for Christmas. He walks a lot, like me, and he will call and say he's been on his walkabout, well I just found this pattern called " Walkabout" so of course I thought of him and that is what I'm making.

The people on here I have gotten to meet is Diane, Cindy and Bill (who use to be the Host).

It is so great outside I think I will get off of here and get out there, go for my own walkabout.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I had my days straight but the dates mixed up. I have to reboot my brain. But as I don't have anything pressing, it will be good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
G'morning !! My cold is worse here but as I can afford to sit & do nothing it will all be good.
I have lemon tea this morning...I thought that sounded good!!

________

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Afternoon all,

Well didn't go to sleep early but did sleep in till 9 ... way late for me... it cool and cloudy so must have been darker than normal so sleep I did... I am on call for boys but Carrie gets off earlier today so probably won't have to go over unless they call... so will sew for a while...
dust the downstairs too.. really need to do that more often guess...

I have to think of something for dinner tonit.. had salmon last night with Spanish rice.. so may make tuna burgers , just sounds good ... and easy..

Well off to get sewing... have a good day all!

Nana

[Linked Image]
Carol - I sooo dislike summer colds most. Hope you are feeling better!
Hi Shirley - Thank you for the peek into Shirley...I love quilts and have one that someone gave me and her mother or grandmother had made. I couldn't believe she just gave it to me. Quilts are like a part of a person, (I think) and when you give one away, you give away a part of yourself. So it was like she gave me a part of her grandmother. I would have to really like a person to do that. It was very nice of her. Right now, my kids and grandkids are all in NW Arkansas, but sounds like that may change here soon. I wished we could all live in one town again like we used to. I miss them all. Hope your walkabout was refreshing.
To all...thanks for all the vinegar tips. I am going to get some and start using in different cleaning applications as you all have advised. I do use it to "set"my color when I get my hair colored. Yes, I do have some gray. Actually my hair is white now, got my first gray hair at 15, by 18 it looked frosted...as a matter of fact, people would ask who frosted my hair. It used to be popular back then. By my mid twenties I was mostly gray. My mother was premature gray too. So now, if I would let my color grow out, I would be completely white haired, just like my little ole granny was.

My, I do go on, don't I? snooz Certainly don't mean to bore you guys!

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
MJ Thanks---While I still have my cold, I am feeling better---so that is a good thing.

about your hair, not to worry---a lot of us are in your boat---As of now, I mainly only have 1 "streak" on the right side of my hair.---I do want a good heavy frosting though, I love that look.

I hope the vinegar serves you well.

About "going on so" we all do---so it is not to worry. besides, I dont think you were "going on"--you were just talking like we all do. and it is not boring.

________

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
My goodness it's so hot I can't even get the car to cool down by the time I get home, actually the temp goes up a couple of degrees,, touched

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Diane, I have to say I do feel for you...I lived in Texas most of my life and I do know how HOT it gets! I think that is why I love the summer so much, just gets me closer to home, but of course, there is no summer anywhere I've been like the hot summer days of Texas...oh I certainly miss Texas.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image