Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Tina #379867 Jan 16th, 2014 at 06:36 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sure that the soaking and vinegar is because the company is afraid that the floss is not made as colorfast as it was back in the good old days. I have white pillowcases that my grandmother embroidered the edges of well over 50 years ago. I toss them in with bleach when needed and they are still holding their colors.
It has been a long day and a good one. But I'm thinking a nap will happen soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #379868 Jan 16th, 2014 at 07:16 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Nana an Sheri get well quick.

Sheri I just got over a battle with the sinus stuff.. Gosh they nearly drove me to the funny farm all week.. I am supposing some sort of flu there.
Feel better today, But the weather is murder cold.

No snow but cold.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Tina #379870 Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina, I am sure you are right--but as you point out, back in the day I didnt have to worry about this. I embroidered some flowers with red floss on Pillow cases back in say 1977 and then had a lady in the nursing home & was working at crochet the ends of the cases. THEY never bled either...

Cheaper is NOT better---GRRRRRR--but I will at very least check the reds before I embroider with them.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina #379871 Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Evening all,,
I am on the mend but it will be slow- really swollen, but at least today I can ice it ... can kind of see out of my eye now , it is definitely not pretty.... look like I went a round or two with Rocky and did not win... am still tired out- really took it out of me- went back to sleep this morning and slept the morning away... really strange for me to sleep so much... but hubby is taking good care of me- carry's my laptop up and down the stairs for me and is making sure I eat and drink... he took tomorrow off too and my oldest will come see me then too and on Sat... not good to be alone when you can't see very well...
I agree Carol they are making a lot of stuff cheaper now- my dd does cross stitch all the time and has to soak her thread a lot of the time... when my hands still worked well I used to do crewel work .. never had to soak mine then and I have stuff my grandmother and great grandmother embroidered and it hasn't faded either... sad they have to go cheap now.... hope you can get it all soaked and sorted easily...

We are still getting the cold winds... but supposed to warm up this weekend to 60 so that will be good for us- as far as flu around here it is bad in a lot of places too- my dd says one of the twins is sick today... but so far the other one is fine... praying he doesn't get it too but she isn't counting on it... going thru their school and as it's all kids who are autistic it's hard to know when they are getting ill...

Well I am going to head to my bed again... seems to be my favorite place this week now...

Enjoy your evening all!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #379872 Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad you could peek in with an update, Sheri. Do take care of yourself.
It has been a long day. I am ready for bed and have to wait for Teddy to be ready. Maybe another hour or so.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #379873 Jan 16th, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Nana: glad to hear from you & glad that your family is taking such good care of you. Soon this will all be just a memory. thumbup

Tina: Sorry for the long day. As soon as you can go to sleep, I wish you Sweet Dreams

________

Tina #379876 Jan 16th, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I did get to bed about a half hour early last night. And woke about that much before my alarm.
Happy Friday to all. I will take Ted to school and shop for the long weekend needs. I hope everyone has a good day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Nana's15 #379880 Jan 16th, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Nana's15
Oh Sheri... hope you feel better soon.... that is a nasty bug you have....

I am doing okay... the procedure turned out a little more extensive than they first thought- took 2 tries to get it all.. and 2 incisions to close it- one under my eye and one down the side of my nose about 2 inches.. they had to pull up tissue to close what they removed- thing had roots to they removed a lot the second time... about 20 stitches to close it up... bandage covers my whole cheek and is a pain.. my eye is bruising- and so is my cheek - the part I can see- won't be going out in public , look like someone beat me.... my eye is half closed too so vision is impaired some too.. Joe took the day off today- cause I can't see to well, and can't bend.. so not doing much besides the comp and my ipad... good thing I cooked food ahead....LOL!

Have a good day all...

Nana

Nana, it would have been easier to just have a face lift. Good grief. I'm so glad they took the time and effort to get the roots. Do you have to stay sitting up with ice on your face?

Junie, did you have this terrible virus. I guess what I had is the norovirus but all I had was the pain part. I feel sorry for children who have to live through that. I'm over it but am still so sore with certain movements.

Bestofour #379884 Jan 17th, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina: Glad that you got to go to sleep a bit early...good for you. I woke up early, reset my alarm & went abck to bed. I woke up about 5 minutes before the alarm went off.

Sheri: I have no idea what I had--& no not what you had. I felt sorta bad---not bad enough to actually "say" I was sick--just not good. I was sneezing & coughing--BUT I ran no fever--This went on for like 3 weeks. My SIL went to the ER with his, & evidently that too is one of the new viruses that is going around. I think he had what you did though, & he was given some pain pills for his stomach problems. His lasted at least a week. he was in bed the first weekend.

Going shopping with my sister, it snowed here too.

________

Tina #379888 Jan 17th, 2014 at 06:37 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am hoping and praying that the various illnesses stay away from my house. And I hope you are all truly over them too.
I spent some time trying to help my ailing computer along this morning. I hope it took.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #379889 Jan 17th, 2014 at 08:38 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
So far so good here....for now.

Today I recieved the "farmall" backing for my Grandson-to-be's Quilt. The lady sent me extra---which I did not expect but I had asked her what the dimentions of the piece I was buying were as I had a blanket that I was going to use this on as a backing. Bless this lady.

I had a very nice day with my sister today--we did some shopping for her daughter. I bought some embroidery floss to match up colors with....I will be able to start on my quilt any day now--YAY !!!!!

________

JunieGirl #379890 Jan 17th, 2014 at 09:36 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Well that was a nice thing to happen.
I didn't know you quilted.. Show us what your up to.
I do some on a machine but don't ring door bells an brag about it..

You were a Farmall fan? That's what I have.

Last edited by dodge; Jan 17th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JunieGirl #379891 Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
So far so good here....for now.

I had a very nice day with my sister today--we did some shopping for her daughter. I bought some embroidery floss to match up colors with....I will be able to start on my quilt any day now--YAY !!!!!

Yay! Pics please?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #379892 Jan 17th, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Yes pics please Carol... since I am sidelined at the moment I am spending lots of time doing not much of anything ... would love to see the quilt top you got...

I still have my bruises growing on my face- it is now a nice shade of yellow and red... not quite as swollen so that is a big improvement .. I can now see out of my eye most of the time now.. just need to ice it a couple times a day when it puffs up to much and gets uncomfortable...

Well I am heading back to my bed- still tired... but at least I didn't sleep all day today... will sleep good tonight I hope...

Have a good evening all.... I put the coffee on to come on early tomorrow-- will join you all as I can ...

Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina #379895 Jan 17th, 2014 at 01:27 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I have a question for all you crafty people.

I have some old windows. They have 6 small panes. My grandson has drawn me some pictures. They're really good. I framed a few but would like to somehow put the others on these 6 small panes. So I would like to end up with the window hanging on the wall but instead of seeing 6 glass panes you'd be looking at 6 different pictures. Any ideas?

Bestofour #379896 Jan 17th, 2014 at 01:33 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well an easy way would be to cut the photos to fit the size of the glass windows--place them in from the back so that they look as if they are in frames with glass. Then cut cardboard to the size of the windows to back the pictures & tape the cardboard in place---then it whould look just as you want it to from the front.

was I clear ??

________

Tina #379897 Jan 17th, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
If the pictures are too large or too small to fill the panes, you could scan them and shift the sizes to match. Then put the resized pics in the panes and file the originals. That way, if the glass breaks or gets wet somehow, It won't ruin the original pictures.
And this is a great idea!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #379898 Jan 17th, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all. I have had a pretty good Friday. I spent quite a bit of it trying to fix my desktop. I think it is good to go for a while.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
dodge #379899 Jan 17th, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Well that was a nice thing to happen.
I didn't know you quilted.. Show us what your up to.
I do some on a machine but don't ring door bells an brag about it..

You were a Farmall fan? That's what I have.

I DO quilt some barb--but this is a prequilted crib cover. it is stamped & one embroiders the scene that is stamped on the front. What I have begun doing is buying fleece to sew onto the back so the baby cannot get its fingers caught in the threads, because I am not so careful an embroider & I sometimes go all the way thru the blanket.
I first did this with the quilt that I made for Emily & Luke---I embroidered wild animals on the front & found a piece of fleece the same design. So this is a Old McDonald farm scene so I got the "farmall" piece of fleece for the back. I am not a farmall fan exactly, but my SIL is.
So instead of making the tractor green like a John Deere, I will make it red like an International.

and please do not think I was bragging I was just commenting on what I was up to these days

________

Tina #379901 Jan 17th, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Junie, I didn't think you were bragging but if I could do that I'd be bragging all over the place.

Thank you ladies for the window ideas. I'd like to use the original pictures (I think he'd like it more)so maybe I can find colored card board and sort of mat them and tape them from the side of the window I use as the back. I'll post pictures.

Bestofour #379902 Jan 17th, 2014 at 02:09 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
it would cost a bit more but if you wanted to protect the pictures, you could put them in sheet protectors and then cut them to fit--OR you could first "wrap" the picture in plastic wrap.

________

Tina #379910 Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I slept in. I think today I will fix some broken water systems.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
JunieGirl #379911 Jan 18th, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I would like to see your work .How do you attach the backing to the embro. piece ?
No your not bragging, I asked the question.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #379913 Jan 18th, 2014 at 03:51 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well first here is a picture of the quilt, of course this is a finished photo, like what you would see on the front of a package..I will do my tractor in red of course.
[Linked Image]

and then here is a photo of the piece of fleece that I bought. The lady sent me more than a yard, and did not charge me. I had tried to purchase 1-1/2 yards so I would not run short but she had said that they only sell it in 1 yard scenes.
[Linked Image]

Barb here is what I do. When I am done embroidering the quilt, I will lay the quilt & the fleece together with the wrong sides touching so as to hide my loose threads, which is the main purpose of the fleece. Then I will cut down the fleece to fit with a few inches extra around the border of the quilt. I will then tuck the edges in so they are smooth & sew them to the quilt following the binding of the quilt so as to hid the machine stitches, making sure I have caught the folded over edges of the fleece to the inside of the blanket. THEN I will tack the fleece to the front of the quilt in places that will not be noticed on the front, to attach the 2 pieces into one. Works like a charm & makes for a thick & warm quilt.

When I am done I will be sure to post a picture of both sides down in Hobbies & Crafts.

________

JunieGirl #379914 Jan 18th, 2014 at 04:24 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
You are a clever one Carol..
More questions.. Now do you emborder all the picture ? Barn tractors an all the writing, before you add the back? Is the ends of the top photo already done when you get it ?
I now want to see how you do the ends putting the 2 together as one.

Sure is a cutie........
You do lots of nice stuff..
Thanks for putting up with me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #379915 Jan 18th, 2014 at 06:57 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes I do finish it first. The pre-quilted blanket comes with a stamped top. The design is such that when you finish the embroidery work you will have the scene you see in the picture. They also send along the thread needed. In the past they enclosed color coded directions. this year they are black & white. I am hoping the online site has directions that are more clear.
The pre-stamped quilt has a white binding on it to finish it off. I will sew over the threads in the binding when attaching the fleece to the quilt.

so, when the top is all embroidered (it will look like the picture) I will put the 2 pieces together.

Do you mean you want photos of the fleece prepared to sew to the embroidered quilt?

It is not a bother to explain to you, Dodge. I am honored to do so.

________

Tina #379917 Jan 18th, 2014 at 07:23 AM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
That is going to be a sweet heirloom for your new grandbaby, Carol. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
I really have not done much today. But am tired nonetheless. I may just nap while scans are running on my computer. Still trying to revive it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
JunieGirl #379919 Jan 18th, 2014 at 08:54 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
yes I do finish it first. The pre-quilted blanket comes with a stamped top. The design is such that when you finish the embroidery work you will have the scene you see in the picture. They also send along the thread needed. In the past they enclosed color coded directions. this year they are black & white. I am hoping the online site has directions that are more clear.
The pre-stamped quilt has a white binding on it to finish it off. I will sew over the threads in the binding when attaching the fleece to the quilt.

so, when the top is all embroidered (it will look like the picture) I will put the 2 pieces together.

Do you mean you want photos of the fleece prepared to sew to the embroidered quilt?

It is not a bother to explain to you, Dodge. I am honored to do so.

When you start to sew the fleece to the binding. Show how you start that, and show a few inches of how it looks as you go..
Do you do the binding etc by hand also?
Do you tack it before you do the binding ends?

Thanks
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #379924 Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:24 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Junie, that is going to be so pretty. Tell me again why the tractor will be red? I think I read about that somewhere but I can't find it just now. I wish you were here so we could do one at the same time with you leading the way. I can do stuff if someone shows me how. I have trouble reading instructions, crafty stuff wise, and then completing a project.

I too would like to see pictures.

dodge #379931 Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge

When you start to sew the fleece to the binding. Show how you start that, and show a few inches of how it looks as you go..
Do you do the binding etc by hand also?
Do you tack it before you do the binding ends?
Thanks
b

Barb & Sheri--I tell you what---WHEN I get that far--I will start a new Thread down in Hobbies & Crafts & try my best to do a step by step "show & tell" of what I do, OK ?? I will even PM you both a picture of the front of the package so you know what it looks like in the store.
But right now I have yet to begin the embroidery.
Did I mention I have to have this done by March 8th ?? That is when Valarie's cousins & sister are throwing her a shower.

BUT for now, Barb about the binding--the only binding is the binding that comes already on the pre-quilted & pre-stamped quilt.

________

Tina #379934 Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
Why is the tractor red?

Bestofour #379935 Jan 18th, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
oops sorry I forgot to answer you on that blush sorry.

A green tractor imply "John Deere" brand.

My SIL (the babies father) who comes from a farming family that he helps with their planting & such & hopes to farm full time one day with, prefers International Harvester Farmall Tractors and they are RED. So, I found Farmall fleece and will embroider the Tractor red.

________

Tina #379937 Jan 18th, 2014 at 02:41 PM
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all. I am up late for me.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
JunieGirl #379939 Jan 18th, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Yipee..........carols a doer..good we need your work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #379945 Jan 19th, 2014 at 04:48 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Closing this one---I really need to pay better attention I see.. blush

________

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,915
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image