Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38083 May 5th, 2007 at 09:38 AM
OP Offline
I am helping my MIL this year with her yard. She had surgery this week and I offered to help with her flower bed, pots and window boxes. However she also wants me to help design and plant her landscape project of perennials and who knows what as well. So she lives on a lake. It is zone 4 and she has somewhat clay soil I think. She has huge amounts of hosta, primrose and lily of valley and the like. She has a lot of shade and also wind from the lake. So she cannot grow astilbe or things like that. I made a list of perennials hardy here for shade but I thought I would get opinions on some things to get or avoid so I don't recommend something that won't live. The ones I starred on the list are:
bergenia, brunnera, campanula, doronicum, filipendula, geranium, heuchera, lysimachia, myosotis, rudbeckia goldsturm, tricyrtis, trollis ledebourii, waldsteinia

Any suggestions or especially warnings?

Tamara from Minnesota #38354 May 5th, 2007 at 08:43 PM
Locate a native plant list. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has extensive information. Ask for information on Lakescaping. A color spiral book is available: ISBN 0-9647451-2-7 Subtitle of the book is: If you own lakeshore property you need ths book. Covers buffer zones for wind, native plantings and wildflowers. MDNR phone # 1-888-646-6367 (MN toll-free). To order book 1-800-657-3757. Or contact your regional office. Your library may have a copy or can inter-loan from the state library system. Could not find an e-address for you but do recall something about Fish Lake in Maple Grove Minn. Try searching with that info.

herbalyn #38674 May 6th, 2007 at 06:09 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for that information! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image