Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The two spoonfuls of sugar are not going to do much harm, Carol. The real sugar comes from things processed with sugar. There is all sorts of sugar added to most things you eat from jars or cans and most packages. There is a bunch of sugar in all kinds of things it doesn't belong in. A can of chicken noodle soup has added sugar. A can of diced tomatoes has 14 grams in it which is 3 1/2 teaspoons. Nearly everything has added sugar and it's killing us off. It's terrible.
And that is not counting the other things jammed in there that are not so good for us. I am cooking more and more from scratch so I can stay on top of it some. There is enough natural sugar in foods.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I try to cook more from scratch too, but not enough apparently.

Well I ran my errands today. All went well, but I was NOT able to get the pot water drainer that goes in the bottom of a pot that does not have drain holes. I think I have figured out how to make my own now though.

There is supper to make then I need to finish cleaning the spare bedroom.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
My Dr recommended Stevia over Splenda; I don't really like the taste, or the aftertaste that just kind of sticks around... I get that Splenda has some adverse health effects, which sucks because it doesn't leave a nasty aftertaste.

Refined sugar in the US primarily comes from Sugar Beets; it's refined, bleached, and then sold as regular sugar at the store. I have to wonder if sugar in the raw (such as that from sugar cane) is any better health wise...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I get pure cane sugar. Raw honey is good too. It does not raise your blood sugar like white sugar.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Tina
I get pure cane sugar. Raw honey is good too. It does not raise your blood sugar like white sugar.

Did you see that in writing someplace about Honey NOT raising blood sugar ??
If so I would love to copy & print it to show my GP. He oversees my heart condition so I do not have to go see the cardiologist so often. Anyway HE said that I should stay away from sugar---"even honey" Golly, if I could use Honey, that would solve all of my problems.

I buy pure cane sugar also....and there is honey in the house

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Colby had a set back today but I think he's stable now. Still on the vent. This has got to stop.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My time stamp is fixed. Yippee!!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, Sheri. My prayers for Colby and the family are ongoing.
Sweet dreams everyone. I'm very tired.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Continued prayers for Colby & your whole family. heart

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning.

Continued prayers for Colby.

I have a doctor's appointment today so that will take up most of my afternoon with the driving.

Junie, honey doesn't raise your blood sugar as quickly as regular sugar does. A lot of people use it because it takes less honey to sweeten than white sugar. The problem is that you have to make sure you are buying 'Pure Honey' with no additives....but it still needs to be used in moderation. thumbup

I agree with Tina, processed foods are killing us between the sugar and chemicals.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
spring has UNsprung here. It's 32° this morning and is supposed to be chilly until next week. Not sure if it's a good thing, thinking it might mess up the bug, or if it's bad and is going to hurt all our beautiful buds.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. That's cold, Sheri. I hope it is a short cold snap and you go back to warm soon.
I am up and ready for the day. A little early but not a bad night. I was only up twice with the dog. So it is going to be a good day.
I hope everybody has a great one.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

Still praying for Colby..my candles are lit too.....

Our weather is beautiful at the moment.. sun melted all the snow .. my crocus are blooming and the tulips are blooming , a little bedraggled from the blizzard but they are trying to be pretty .

Have school today and rest of week with Nicoli... he is doing so well, and growing fast now... he seems to be over the worst of the CVS now... he just turned 11 so we are hoping puberty will make it go away.. does in some kids... he really wants to be able to go back to school and be a reg kid... Derek is doing well with his school now too.. finally got thru to the one teacher that he has to be taught differently and to let his para in the room...
quoting fed laws and mentioning a lawyer seemed to help somehow..

Well off to get ready to be the teach... got to get my breakfast and see what else I can get done to prep dinner.. baked fried chicken...

Have a good day all.
Nana

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good for you, Nana. Getting the boys all settled into their schooling. I am happy that it seems to be working out. I hope it continues.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good evening.

Nana so glad to hear such good news on the boys. I hope the trend continues.

I am down to the wire now, and need to get moving faster to finish my preparation for my soon to arrive company.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all. I have a headache I need to shake.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tina: I hope your headache leaves you and you get a good night's sleep.

Good night everyone, sweet dreams. wavy

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I am much better today. I knew it was a headache from the sun and would go away. I am good to go today.
It will be the usual today. School and stuff. I hope everyone has a good one.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning.

Glad the headache is gone, Tina.

Today it is down to the wire & I need to get back to getting ,y guest bedroom ready for my in-laws.

I too wish everyone a good day...It is raining here... rolz

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. We're to get rain Friday through the weekend. I want to have a variety of good things to eat in the house. Working on that.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Guest bed linen in the washer...bathrooms about done...all floors swept....
Now if I just did not have to go to the grocery and then the post office (who has a 2 hr lunch) and the nursing home to take his mom her fixed dentures, I just might be in a good place now.

Did I mention I feel clammy & my throat is sore ? I am hoping it is allergies, 'cause I have no time to be sick.

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Colby was extubated this morning. Hope he can maintain on his own.

It's really cold here. Hope it kills all the bugs :)

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is good news about Colby. I also hope he can maintain on his own. My prayers continue.
I hope you are not getting sick, Carol. I think when your in-laws visit, they should stay in a hotel. It is too much after all you do for his mother already.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Unfortunately he has an infection from where his arterial line was. Now we know the reason he kept having a temperature.

On another note people are strange. The very first morning the doctor told us that people would come out of the woodwork contacting us to get information - some out of concern, some just noisy, some with morbid curiosity, and that has been the truth. Shelley has had a bunch of strangers try to friend her on FB. Why would you want to friend a stranger? And the other day 2 men that Tracy knew from school and they live in the same town but probably haven't seen each other to speak in 30 years showed up at the hospital. I think their intentions were nice because they didn't ask to see Colby, just met with Tracy in the waiting room and said they were praying for them. But I have a friend from 8th grade, saw her last time when Shelley was 2 or 3, who has been bombarding me for information. We are FB friends but never even chat but she has messaged and messaged and messaged and messaged. I messaged her back once and said thank you for your prayers but evidently that's not enough. Every time I post a picture she comments "what is happening with Colby" or "what's new with Colby". I've just been deleting her comments. If there's an update to be made on FB that's Shelley's job. I have been keeping my friends updated but not on FB. Another friend, who I haven't seen in a while, but I do consider her a friend, has been sort of adamant about wanting information "he's improved some" doesn't suit her. She told me, when she saw Shelley's post saying that she wouldn't be making any new FB posts, that I need to start an update page myself on some site called Caring Bridge or Caring Update or something like that but I ignored her and haven't updated her since. I have learned a few things through this situation.

1. Don't send flowers or balloons to a person in intensive care because you can't keep them there.

2. Don't show up unannounced with your children, because 1. It's no place for children 2. The patient may not want your children to see them in this state.

3. If the patient is a child, don't think just because your child is a classmate that he needs to come to the ICU and "report back to school friends." Shelley's had parents with students from the school, who aren't hanging out friends with Colby, show up who want to come see him. She has not let them come back.

4. Don't call or text and ask for pictures to update your FB page. Most people don't want their hospital pictures plastered all over FB.

5. Unless you're a close friend, and I mean very close, a call or text a week is sufficient to show you care. Calling or texting 3 or 4 times a day asking for information is annoying, time consuming, and makes the family not want to talk to you at all.

Do:

1. If you want to send something immediately, send the family cards to Starbucks or a shop or restaurant nearby the hospital. (Lots of people have done this and it's been great for Shelley and Tracy. One of them can run out, if no one else is there to do it for them, grab coffee or a salad for one or both of them and it's a change from hospital food and they can eat alone)They left in the middle of the night and if they had not had family and friends close by they would have needed to buy toothpaste, hair spray, deodorant and stuff like that. This hospital gives the mom and dad 1 meal ticket a day so if the family doesn't have a lot of extra cash they are going to need immediate help with food and the like and not being able to keep food in the room they need to be able to buy it in the cafeteria or go out and get it.

2. Send a card to the home address if they have other children at home. Aubry has had a good time going to the mailbox, counting the cards, then taking them to the hospital for Colby. Shelley has taped them all over the room.

3. If a family member has a FB page, instead of calling or texting, post each day that you're praying or thinking of the family and remind them that you are there if one of the children needs to be picked up, the grass needs to be mowed, whatever. Don't just post "call me if I can help" be specific as to what you can or are willing to do.

4. Call or text 1 time a week with the same info in #3 if you REALLY can help out.

I think the majority of people want to help but I also think there are some people who are just strange.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good advice. There have been times I have wished I lived closer to people so I could lend a hand. But mostly I stick to praying and wishing and....

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all. I am going to take this tired body to bed.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yep mostly just praying & thinking of you all for me too.

Sheri: for the family and people who you really want to know, there is a way to add a "secret or closed group" to facebook then the person who makes it is the only one that can invite ANYONE into the group. Then only the people in the group can see the posts that are made.
MY family has used this type of facebook groups many, many times. it saves the person going thru something a LOT of stress & time. AND remember, only people invited to the group can see what is posted...there is no "friends of friends" seeing posts thing going on with this.

________

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
12:20 am

Going to sleep now..nite-nite!

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Good morning. I am up early but that is ok. I have a lot to do with this day.
I hope everyone has a good one.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning.

I ended up taking the grands home with me the other night after my appointment...I brought them back last night(after taking them to a doc appt yesterday as well). I was so busy that I never got a chance to pop in.

Sheri, nosy people are the reason why I deleted Facebook. People have no common sense it seems when it comes to family situations. My daughter found out her newborn baby's father had died in a car accident from a Facebook post...then strangers had the audacity to try friend her and message her for details. She deleted a lot of people in those few days.

On another note....it is snowing a bit out there again today.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
juniegirl that's a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Sunny that's horrible! I told Johnny something about Colby that he told his cousin who promptly posted it on her FB page. I saw it and called her and asked her to delete it. She apologized but I still can't imagine why she'd post someone else's personal information on her page. As it happens it was incorrect information because Johnny only half way listens to me but he never dreamed she'd post it.

I am thinking of unfriending that crazy person I knew in the 9th grade. I'm trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We've been FB friends for a few years and once in a while she'll like one of my posts or I'll like one of hers but we don't actually post to each other. Now she has started liking every post on my page. I've told her more than once he's improving but she wants particulars and her messages are beginning to get on my nerves.

Anyway, he has improved a LOT. He sat up in a wheelchair today. He's not talking yet but he will nod and mouthed that he was hungry. He can't eat until they do a swallowing test. I haven't heard anything about the latest blood culture.

Another child on the unit died.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, how sad that another child died. I hate that idea.
But I am glad that he's so responsive now. That's wonderful news.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all. I am heading to bed soon.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good morning.

I am so relieved to hear that Colby is sitting up...small steps but wonderful ones kissie Prayers are continuing.

We had a death in the family yesterday (my uncle's mother~he is an uncle by marriage), she was 95 and had Alzheimer's....she is at peace now. We take comfort in that.

It is raining today, a welcome sight....it is melting some of the snow. I will be running errands today and picking up GG for the weekend.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am sorry for your loss, Sunny. I am glad she is at peace now.
Good morning. I was up in the night a lot with my dog. I will be napping today. That is the only plan I have so far but I'm sure I'll collect more as the day goes along.
I hope everyone has a good day.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sunny, so sorry for your loss. Prayers for the family prayers

Sheri, that is good news about Colby. so hope that the trend continues.

About your FB story. It is my opinion that some people think it is all about them & what they know. Then if they do not share it, no one will know they know something others do not. It is a sad state of affairs.

About the private FB groups. Do not credit me. My daughters & their cousins were the ones who knew about such groups. but really they are so very useful.

Sorry you were up a lot with your dog. I well remember those days. I hope you do get your nap.

Today I am taking my mom to a Drs. appt. That is al I have on my agenda.

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Taking your mom to a doctor's appointment is a lot, Carol. I hope she is well.
I decided to clean out the fridge. I tell my daughter not to open a new one (insert anything here) without finishing the old one (or throwing it out). I tossed out hundreds (exaggeration) of things with one sip or serving in multiples. Surprise, there is a lot more room in the fridge for real food. There were four of her Ensures, for instance. As well as quart bottles of kefir and such. There were a couple of potatoes that got shoved out of sight that were my bad. But most of the clutter was hers.
I feel free!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My mother is fine--well, fine for a 83+ yr old person.
She is just going for a recheck sort of thing. She is still hurting from her fall & break in November and she does not want to hurt, & wants the Dr. to make it stop, ASAP. She is being checked after being taken off of one of her meds.
It will be a quick trip.

So glad you got your fridge cleaned out. It does feel good.
Perhaps for Christmas you could buy your DD a mini fridge for her room. She could clean out her own then...

________

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I've got a mini fridge. It is not going anywhere near her room. Things go in there never to be seen again. It's a disaster. Someday she will clean it up again. But it will never house a place to house food. She is unreliable at best. But she is so sweet and pleasant, it is hard to stay mad at her.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts

Afternnoon all,

I am worn out.. taught school all week. kept up with housework and bill paying... finally figured out my insurance spending acct , so now will get reimbursed.. helps pay other bills.. don't know why they just can't bill them directly... would make more sense..
We discovered my umbrella type clothesline was ruined by the blizzard we had , got so heavy it bent it all the way to the ground, so don't think I will be replacing it any time soon..took weeks to find a replacement one last time... no one seems to sell them anymore..

Sunny.. your family has my condolences... hard to lose a family member..

Sheri.. Colby still has our prayers... so glad he is responding to treatment... it's so hard to watch a child suffer.... and I don't understand the people on facebook being so inquisitive and nosy... hope they get the message soon...

Well off to start making the spaghetti sauce for dinner...that and a salad will be it...will take boys home soon.. Timothy is teaching himself to play guitar and brought one over today to show us.. he is doing well with it..

Have a good evening all..

Nana

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image