Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36487 May 2nd, 2007 at 04:40 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I've had my Dracaena fragrans for I would say close to 25 years indoors! Several years ago, it bloomed from one shoot. My leave are solid green, not the striped ones.

Wow, would you believe my Dracaena is in bloom again? This time, I have FOUR starts of blooms! flwr I've been doing extensive research on this. I found out it is a rare occurrence for a Dracaena to bloom. And, that in Japan, a Dracaena in bloom is called "Tree of Happiness". I'm so happy. I'm waiting for my rechargeables to do their thing so I can get some pics out here.

In the meantime, here is a website on the subject matter that may be of interest.

http://home2.highway.ne.jp/hinachan/shiawase_e.htm

Until later, I'm so happy, and excited! flwr

Has anyone gotten blooms on their Dracaena?

That's fantastic FloweringChild. I hope you post a picture for us!

Amanda / Zone 6
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hey Amany, you betcha!

I took some pics last night and again a few minutes ago.

Take a look

[Linked Image]

Another view

[Linked Image]

A closer view
[Linked Image]

closest view
[Linked Image]

I am so thrilled with my Dracaena in bloom. As I said, it is blooming on each stalk. I'm a little sad as I will not get to see the blooms in full swing boohoo as I am going out of town for a week. :wink: From what I read, when a Dracaena blooms inside, the blooms may last longer than 7 to 10 days and the blooms do a spectacular thing. I will find out when I return I suppose.

Are there others here who hav/had blooms on their Dracaena and would like to show and tell? flwr

#37054 May 3rd, 2007 at 02:59 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
wow! that's a shame that you're not going to be there for the full-swing blooming!!!! the flowers look so beautiful!!

i'll bet it'll bloom next year tho - so make sure you leave the same time-frame open so that you are sure to be home!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #37076 May 3rd, 2007 at 04:08 PM
I hope someone else will come along to show and tell.

They're really nice blooms, FloweringChild. I've never seen that happen in person, but I have read that the flowers smell good.

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany #37278 May 3rd, 2007 at 09:13 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
wow silly me--I did not even know a Dracaena even bloomed-you took some really nice pictures too!! flwr

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wow! That's awesome!!!

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Triss! Me too!

joclyn, thanks. I know. From what I read, Dracaenas bloom seldom.

Amany, yep, the fragrance is something else. This plant bloomed 2 or 3 years ago but only on one stalk, rather than what it is now doing, that is, blooming on all four stalks! flwr

JunieGirl,
Thanks! I too did not know Dracaenas bloom until I followed my nose to a distinct odor in the house several years back and located where the scent originated, on the Dracaena.

I will leave in the very early am to catch a plane. I will try to snap a few shots flwrright before I leave.

Are there others who have/had blooms on their Dracaena that would like to share with us?

Hope all enjoyed the pics!@

500 Posts
500 Posts
Double Wow that is a super nice plant u must , take very good care to have it so long That is super wow on it

500 Posts
500 Posts
hello i am taking pic of the plant u sent me so u can see how well it is doing

Sandy
sandy113 #44193 May 14th, 2007 at 01:27 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Oh I would love to see if sandy

500 Posts
500 Posts
i will be doing it soon okay

Sandy
1k Posts
1k Posts
Wow is right, now I'm pretty excited about the one I have. Who knows what it will be like later.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
bettyboop1948, Thanks! Well, my dracaena does not require much care and attention. I water every now and again, and I do mist it after I water. It just keeps holding on somehow! I think I may have fed it only once and as I stated earlier, this plant is between 23 and 25 years old!

Rosepetal,
Glad to have inspired some excitement your way! lol How old is your dracaena?

Okay ya'll, I'm back from my trip and wanted to give you an update on my dracaena. As I said earlier, I was gone for over a week and thought I would miss the show and smell.
When I got in Saturday late, there was no fragrance but show!

This evening I watered the plant and misted. About 15 minutes later, the plant began to fragrance! It smells similar to gardinia plants, a very nice aroma. My entire house is fragranced as I type this! I have taken pics and will get them out a little later! Stay tuned! flwr

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
My dracaena hadn't gave off aroma again until late this evening. I cut two yellow leaves from it then it began to fragrance. In fact, I'm smelling the aroma right now. I took pics an hour ago and wanted to share the show, it's showing! flwr flwr, and fragracing! :wink:

Take a look
[Linked Image]

Another

[Linked Image]

Full view

[Linked Image]

I am thrilled with it's performance. Hope everyone enjoyed.
If anyone has a dracaena they make want to share bloom stories, let us know! flwr flwr

This may go on for a while. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
that is so gorgeous! thank you for sharing. i'd never seen that before!

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Jiffy! I was pleasingly surprised myself. flwr I've had two leaves that turned yellow since the blooms. I'm hoping I will not loose my dracaena, I'll have to see.

I just can't get over how pretty those blooms are. I wonder if anyone ever gets blooms yearly.

Amanda / Zone 6
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Amany, that's a good question. I know I've had this plant for some 23 or so years and this is the second time blooming. The first time it bloomed, I had only one bloom rather than 4 on each shoot. It bloomed several years ago initially.

BTW - My dracaena has been fragrancing every evening for several hours than subsides. Weird, but cool. I love it. This plant has provided so much interest from me. I can't believe it either. The blooms look as if they are slowly drying out and dying. As I type, and it's 9:53 p.m. central time here, is giving off a beautiful aroma. Wish ya'll could smell it. grin flwr

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,920
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image