Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I know how you feel I want them to rippen so I can have them. I'm planning on having a friend and her children over for dinner and I want the tomatoes for the lasagna. And the fresh green salad. Yummy.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
I know how you feel I want them to rippen so I can have them. I'm planning on having a friend and her children over for dinner and I want the tomatoes for the lasagna. And the fresh green salad. Yummy.

Oh tammy I know, fresh produce makes your food so much better!!!--I so want the tomato myself--but i am going to be a good mother--LOL--and also next year i am going to container garden some spinach--I have a raised garden, so one would think i could get into my garden early enough to plant spinach--but by the time was able to get into it, i only got 1 meal---and I can still taste it!! yummy---Good luck with your lasagna.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
5k Posts
5k Posts
iaint got nothing ripin-ing in my vegie garden yet! cant wait!
i did get the hedge roots preshured washed yesterday, now i just gotta seal em and put em in the shade garden

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks. I plan to try romaine lettuce again this fall. Sooner or later I'm going to grow my own leafy greens. I just haven't quite figured it out yet lol. But I am determined.

Hey Sibyl, I'm confused. Why were you pressure washing your hedge roots and what were they doing out of the ground where you could wash them anyway? I'm really sure I'm not following your post correctly and I'm sorry. Sometimes I just have the most difficult time understanding the simplest thing.

I know what you mean about waiting for the garden to produce. I'm hoping I get peppers large enough to use this year.

I'm thrilled by the number of tomatoes I have on the vine and I'm really crossing my fingers that they will mature without any problems.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Weeded a bit yesterday between the rain, raining again today.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
5k Posts
5k Posts
lolsorry tammy, blush
last year my work place cut down all the hedges and dug out the root balls and planted new, so i took em home to place in my shade garden for decoration. im putin them upside down so the roots spand out up top. i want to grow a shade vine up em, and a low ground cover under em. grin

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That sounds cool. I hope you'll be able to get pictures once everything starts growing.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Nice to hear what you're all still doing. bop

I haven't done anything today yet, plan on tying some of my tomatoes up, they're growing like weeds.... egad naw.... like real tomatoes. Some are the size of golf balls already, can't wait. shots

Do you keep snapping off the snapers that are constantly growing on the tomatoes? Or is this just to be done on the bottom ones?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
My tomatoe plants are stunted from the cold.

What's a snaper?

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
mt toms need tied up too--too bad for me, no bending or stretching yet---!!!

I was wondering what a snapper was also--I also saw that in the tomato setion I believe--is she refering to the suckers??

and while I pretend to remove the suckers, I am never totally sure of which limbs are the suckers-- lol

________

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
nothing
yup
not a thing
Its been so cool the weeds arent even doing well. Not a single bloom on a tomato yet.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Suckers grow in between the main stem and the branch. Yup remove them all.

My grass is still wet, I need to weed my pathetic looking veggie garden today, debating whether to mow the grass or pick berries this afternoon.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Hey gals my mistake I was informed they're called "sappers" and they grow out right in the "arm pit" of the tomato leaf and main branch. Most important they grow FAST. I'm trying my best to keep them under control.

[Linked Image]

I don't have veggies but I weeded out under two evergreen shrubs that are in a raised bed (came with the property) and mulched underneath. There is a strip between my fence and the side of my garage about 5 feet by about 25 feet (I will only have to fence in one side to keep the naughty bunnies/doggies out). One of the prior owners had planted an invasive bamboo. egad

I have been working on killing and digging it out for the past two summers. I would like to make this area my vegetable garden. I am going to rototill this fall should I amend the soil at all? It is loam but I wonder if working in manure will help the health of the plants next year?

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I would definitely add manure.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
If you have access to old manure that would be even better. And working in a small amount of wood ash that has been sifted is also good if you have access. I can't believe the difference it made in my garden.

Today I had to go out to social services and that took all my umph lol. But I'll definitely get out there this evening at least to water. It was suppose to rain here but it didn't.

The landlord did add more grass clippings to my pile so I have a lot of turning to do. That I know I won't get done today.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well good--now I know how to get rid of the suckers properly.

All I did today is water the pots in the front of the house-----16 oz at a time--- egad

________

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yesterday I weeded and hoed the veggie garden, trimmed back a few shrubs. I see the frost nipped my wave petunia hanging basket and a hosta, oh well.

Today I need to mow the yard.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Wow, that's a whole lot of work. I'm sending mental waves of support your way.

I got out and watered. Then walked over to the neighbors. They are in the process of redoing their steps. Doing a really nice job too. They are cement steps.

It's nice out so I may separate those ornamental grasses I got and spread them out today. And finish turning the compost. I haven't quite decided yet.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
We put in a large cement step a year ago and the whole thing is falling apart. DH say's their must of been sodium mix in the cement gravel. Hoping it can be repaired.

I have to wait for the grass to dry so I can get out there and get started.

1k Posts
1k Posts
Am I reading this right tamara, has the rain stopped coming your way, oh I hope so.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Ya, it stopped for most of the day. It's raining out right now though lol Rain for tonight and the next 5 days, the weatherman says. Cr@p.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
so today we (DH & I) looked at my veggie garden--& found at least 5 cukes--they'll be ready in a day or 2. Then I shaped up my mock orange bush. Did not really care if I should of or not--it looked silly as it was.---

supposed to rain & storm today--well we got 3 drops this AM & then this afternoon late, we got alot of thunder and about 2 cups of drops---and now we are overcast---but i think it is all gone---

________

I remulched my hosta bed, I was in shock as I had split one plant into seven and the one I thought would die because I hacked most of the root off, is thriving and sending up flower shoots. I was in awe at its will to live. It will have a place in the garden as long as I am here. :)

[Linked Image]

Had family over for a picnic this afternoon. Mom came and weeded out a small bit of the side yard I haven't looked at since I moved in (two years), there are some pretty ferns and an astilbe plant and tons of quack grass, all the grass is gone and it's remulched. YAY!

We ran to one of the local nurserys and I had her pick out some plants for her birthday as it's coming up in the next couple of weeks. She needed some kind of payback for her sweat in the yard. ;)

It was a wonderful day, low 80's a bit humid, but there was a nice breeze.

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yesterday I got the acre and a half cut, weeded and trimmed. Looks pretty good when there are no weeds on the lawn. lol

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
tamara fantastic job. Kudos!

Hey Junegirl, same thing here. They forcast 3 days of rain and there wasn't any to speak of so I've been hand watering. Normally after I do that it rains but even that isn't bringing it on. It's very overcast and windy today so maybe today is the day it will rain. Even though I've watered it would be nice if it did give us a good soaking rain.

There are a bunch of green tomatoes on the vine and I think they might benefit by one more good rain.

Hi Heart I know what you mean. My hostas have put up with a lot since I bought them but they just keep comming up.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I purchased and split a hosta a few days ago and it is doing good as well.

We are getting alot of rain as well, but the ground isn't taking much of it in. Yesterday I crumbled up the ground in alot of my beds.

OMG Tamara, you are a machine!

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
No Iheart, just the Energizer bunny. lol I am a high energy person.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well tammy;
late in the evening it began to thunder & it did rain--about 1 inch or so---but then----at midnight or so it began to rain again---and I think we got as much the second time. so luckily I am good. (now DH will not be using the pressure sprayer to water my things- lol) Also- I put out a bucket to catch some of the rain water to use on my potted plants on my covered porch--and some rainwater is better than none thumbup
Luckily both the rains were good soaking ones-- I have a good number of green tomatoes, but the only ones ripening right now are on my one giant cherry plant. Better that then none I guess. With all this rain, perhpas it will not be long---I hope not.

Tamara: WOW i am impressed with your energy!!! Do you make house
calls??? lol

"Heart"; Lucky you---great about the Hostas. I would love to have a few more flower beds in my yard---now I have to convince the DH rolz

________

1k Posts
1k Posts
It was a hot one today, we hit the 100 mark and none of us were ready for it.

Plants should grow well now. My veggies are doing well, except for my cucs, they're coming up as if they'd rather not.

Oh well must take the good with the bad, for my peas are doing more then ever before.

[Linked Image]

Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Well, it rained again yesterday and last night and this morning and ............ you get the picture lol

Gonna find the veggie garden topic to show you my pitiful garden.

5k Posts
5k Posts
same here rain rain rain, least that saves me from watering myself :)

we got hard rain lastnight, washed my drivway down into the road, gonna have to dig it back up into the drivway :{

i did get some seedlings in the ground yesterday at first the rain was just like a mist, by the time i was halfway through it was a downpour.

[Linked Image]
Started last night to de-weed my flower bed. But the mosquitos just wouldn't leave me alone. So I finished this morning. It was so hot here yesterday I didn't do a thing. Today I did the final transplant of some poppies and leopard lily. I should've done it ages ago, but with work I didn't have the energy to do it, ok I got lazy. Not sure if they'll grow and gimme flowers but at least they are in the ground. Most of the other poppies that I did transplant a while ago have flower buds on them. I am so excited. Especially because I can't remember which ones I put where. Now I am headed out again to see where I can fit the rest of my flowers grown from seed. And to move some tomatoe containers around. I ate my first ripe red Brandywine yesterday, I don't know if you gals remember the ones I had inside growing in 5 gal containers. There are 2 more ripe ones and a few more ripening. The hail storm pretty much killed it, I took it outside on a cool day so it wouldn't suffer from too much sun I needed to move it out because I am selling my house and it was in the way. It was doing great for 2 days, then Hail the size of a large marble and a temp. drop hurt it bad. But now I am noticing new flower buds on them. Not sure if I will keep it going or try to root the stes that have the flowers forming.

Nuria
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I went out to check my tame strawberries, they are starting to turn red. Pouring rain out again at the moment.

Nuria, the weather sure has been strange hasn't it?

5k Posts
5k Posts
yep you shure have been getting some wierd weather,

i just did my walk around the yard, seen some stray black-eyed susans n dug em up n out em back in the flower bed, thats about it, the suns out but its still muddy, good time to weed

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I got half of the plants watered this morning. As you can tell I'm running very slow today. The sore throat and coughing are sapping my strength grrrh. I'm such a whimp.

Hopefully this evening I'll water again and everything will be fine. The white petunia is blooming.

The transplanted oregano and mums didn't make it.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hope you feel better soon Tammy.

I am hoping to convince DH to go for a drive later, right to the garden center in town lol

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and I feel like planting.

It's supposed to be in the mid-90s around here today. So I got up early and watered my flowers and smaller trees.
I dug up a hosta plant for a friend, potted it, and put it in the shade.

Played with my horsey this AM, it's going to be too hot this afternoon.

500 Posts
500 Posts
looking at 99 here today too, staying inside.

PattyM
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image