Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow! very beauitful! i cant wait to get blooms!

[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Christy ~ it is really worth the wait to be able to see these!! grin

Here is C.Grimaldi 5 Blooms and I counted 7 more buds on it to open in a few days clap

[Linked Image]

Closer view from different side...

[Linked Image]

And Here is Unnamed Pink 6 of them are opening now and I counted 15 more Buds yet to open clap

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Those are such unusual and pretty flowers!!!
I love those long skinny 'tails' coming off the corners of all the petals!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I posted a picture of the opened Charles Grimaldi above Shirely's post yesterday~ For those of you growing for the first time like me here is a picture of it today! < Notice the difference in color I love it when that happens! Okay Okay I get anxiously excited when I first see they are opened and too impatient to wait another day for color change.. LOL

Anyway here it is today,,

[Linked Image]

also above is the unnamed Pink buds~~~~ Today here it is just opening!! Tomarrow it will look different also.. I will post another Picture!! This has been a long happy journey of learning about brugs and hopefully Njoynit will guide me thru the cuttings to over winter in the late fall..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
that pink is beautiful.

2k Posts
2k Posts
This is how much these have grown since spring.these come back from roots.
Unknown pink
[Linked Image]
Frosty pink(yep...its over 7 ft.averageing 2 ft growth a month) with jamicia yellow in its shadow.
[Linked Image]

seedling...whiskers x Butterfly.this is its 3rd year.

[Linked Image]

We were 102 yesterday.my mower got its act together by 2 pm.
Those look great Diane,the EE too.The heat got monikas blooms yesterday& imagine the other will fall off today too.But it has buds forming...as do several right now.I've got buds starting to open on frosty/unknown/seedling pink.and my tall russian red cannas are starting to bloom fineally.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
5k Posts
5k Posts
clapthose are sooooooo pretty diane n njoynit!!!
yep! diane we gotta learn to do cuttings! thumbup

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
Cuttings can be took in different lengths.I do most of mine as 6-8 inch cuts but have done longer cuts and have cut& rooted whole trunks(cutting trunk at ground level and rooting it up and getting it potted up in 2 qt pot)When doing a trunk cut leave at LEAST 6 nodes(node are where the leaves form..count 6 up from valley of the 'y') above this is where flowering happens.you can root your above 'y' cuts they useually bloom sooner than trunk pieces,but trunk pieces will form a better plant.most will root in water some are harder to root in water and supposedly if plant is diseased it will not root in water(I think that would be diseased not virised)They will root directly inserted in soil also.To aid in rooting you can also add air to their water useing an areater like with fish tanks(NO NO DON"T toot in your fish tank...you'll kill your fishes)the air gets more oxygen to water.Changeing the water daily aids in oxygen in water also.broke stem tips will root.I've rooted them in window in shot glasses.they take longer to form bloomng plants.woody cuts root easier than most green cuts.

My SIL 2 jamicia yellows are being slow about them buds as well.she did say one is still small but the other is about mine's size.My 2 are ..1s 4 ft ones not there yet.but the 4 ft ones 'y'd.Versicolor orange I think we counted 12 buds.4 are big the others just forming.I got some others starting to bud.Sept looks like it will be good.And my white dauntra will open in a few days.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Ohhhhhhhh NOOOOO! Njoynit help!!!!

This morning @ 4:30 it was 85 degrees ,I took this picture of some unnamed Pink Opening

I was sooooo proud!

[Linked Image]

They were Pretty good sized too and smelled sooo good grin

[Linked Image]

When I got off work @ 4;30 it was 105 degees and 112 heat index. My Brugs got all their energy zapped from them. tears Weather calls for over 100 degees for the next 10 days boohoo

[Linked Image]

Will they survive this weather????/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, they will, Diane. They will need lot's of water though. They are actually pretty tough. Mine even survived the hard freezes we had this past winter.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
2k Posts
2k Posts
yes.you have to water them though.Yesterday I let my hose run between frosty and jamicia yellow for about an hour.I also hooked my 2nd soaker hose up(I don't like it as much.its the flat type)My plants are mulched also.we we're 102 yesterday.We'll be hotter today.you don't want to talk heat index here.I put the gage UP after getting a heat index of 131 and 105 that was in front of hex bed full sun.I water durring the day too(while your at work...hmmm,you need a waterhose timer)Then I hit them again in the evening,which sometimes causes dinner to be about 8 cause I'll forget to start it.But...unknown pink does the best in the heat for me...so thats a plus for you.When SIL lived Plano.she had this one too close to bricks...but it survived(west side).

seedling pink this morning
[Linked Image]

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
It was really windy when I took this pic but I got a quick pic of my brug blooming. This one has a lot more buds. I'm not sure if this is unknown pink or frosty pink?!? why

flowers/100_0414.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Last edited by plantqueen; Aug 14th, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
2k Posts
2k Posts
Unknown pink has more smell.It will be one easy to know.sometimes its flowers are larger and sometimes all the flowers are not same size.Frosty pink is pretty reliable.Its blooms always look the same.It does have smell,you'll notice.but Unknowns is stronger.I would guess frosty but see mostly underside of leaves.That looks good though!!!!!!!!!
That sprout in ground comeing up?You will want to save that maybe for a trunk cut.it will grow longer and more stright(if can keep lighting good) so you can have a taller blooming plant for bringing in in winter.sometimes you can dig down in soil around the base and are able to snip/cut a piece with roots already.

It is hot today.I got a heat index reading of 120 earlier(I was watering)I wished was in Livingston....Guess that big ole lake over there keeps their area cooler.My basil is ugly.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit and Tina you guys ROCK!!!! kissie I went outside and watered the Heck out of them and at 7:30pm they started Lifting up By 10 pm, they were lifted even more,, this morning at 4:30 They were HAPPPPPPPPPY!!!!!!! clap and they smell sooo good!

Look!!!!! grin (I soooo paniced last night boohoo uhhhhhh Could you tell??) notme lol lol

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jessica YAY clap For your blooms!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
Diane.hope you watered them this morning.You'll be hotter than me today.I hope I get rain.May Erin give me rain.Yep those look so pretty clap...your edges will darken today.I can smell them from here(if stick my nose in my own yard...ha ha hAA neenee)My EE were laying down yesterday...which I would too if heat index was 112.
I'm off to fertilize! angelgot my Hank going...I'm just gonna ignore the sun....

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yes Ma'am Njoynit I was out side @ 4:30 watering Everymorning I do While I drink my coffee and let the puppy run around before I go to work.. ANd I water again about 7:30 in the evening the elephant ears are still standing tall so are the Brugs But Blooms above are hanging limp while others are starting to bloom.. We're haveing a cool front coming in this weekend. It's only supposed to be in the mid 90's and maybe rain (BUt they said south of here so it's not likely I'll see rain)

Christy How are your brugs doing???????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow your pics look great!

still growing nice n healthy:} duhhhh to me! i have no blooms cause i have no y yet! lol shoulda looked for the y before the blooms, how often should i water them? i dont water unless it hasnt rained in a week, should i water more often?

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
They like lots of water.I water mine so much....they grow 2 ft a month.

Diane.Erins arrival onshore knocked me to the 90s finally& we are cooler now cause have cloud cover& we got some rain last night.expecting more today .I say BRING IT!

We'll see what Dean dishes out next week.I'm watching(and storeing ice)

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by sibyl
wow your pics look great!

i dont water unless it hasnt rained in a week, should i water more often?

Christy Water , water water!! They love water and feed them Use fish emulsion, bloom booster, what ever you have , IF you have compost Turn some into the soil all of the above I did! When the pink beauty bloomed I didn't have a Y at all and it and the C Grimaldi are less than 2 1/2 foot tall.. Now I don't know if the cutting of the Pink Beauty I was sent was cut above the Y But I DO know It bloomed and I didn't have a Y formed yet <<<Njoynit can you answer why it bloomed and there wasn't a Y do you think it was because the cutting Ruth sent me was a cut above a Y??? why BUt the unnamed pink has serveral Y's and is almost 7 foot tall!

Christy feed your Brug once a week and water everyother day at least!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
thumbupthanks diane n njoynit! ill make sure i water every other day, i have those slow release pill things worked in the soil around em, i feed em more though

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
If it was sent from Ruth.I would say it was an above 'y' cut.I know she trims hers back to the last 6 nodes for wintering. I send both and most times have it marked unless its something I've took from a pot and removed soil.
Did you not see my unknown pink is 7 ft tall too?And frosty is 9 ft tall.I think I can still gain 4 ft on these plants if DEAN don't INVADE.In 2003 Unknown pink was over 10 ft tall and was covered with a 14 ft ladder and 2 comforters so I could finish a flush...In December.It finished Dec 9th.I've had a certificate gave to me before as being a 'insanely mad gardner' in 2001.

Brugs do love water.I bet mine wiggle their roots when I forget about hose...sometimes they get 2 hours of water.I had some last year get a 6 hour flow............

I gotta go mulch some leaves with the blower.I've counted over 190 containers I have to possibly batten down for a hurricane invasion.I'm filling butter bowls to freeze as ice blocks too.(I learned alot durring Rita)

Diane.I need a hurricane drink suggestion..it will possibly land on my birthday too.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by njoynit
If it was sent from Ruth.I would say it was an above 'y' cut.I know she trims hers back to the last 6 nodes for wintering. I send both and most times have it marked unless its something I've took from a pot and removed soil.
Did you not see my unknown pink is 7 ft tall too?And frosty is 9 ft tall.I think I can still gain 4 ft on these plants if DEAN don't INVADE.In 2003 Unknown pink was over 10 ft tall and was covered with a 14 ft ladder and 2 comf

Diane.I need a hurricane drink suggestion..it will possibly land on my birthday too.

Njoynit Yes Ruth sent me the pink beauty, cotton candy, snowcone, pale yellow and C Grinmaldi and adora..... Ohhhhh Yes I remember about the ladder and blanket! Now I understand why the ones you sent have grown sooo tall! grin

Ohhhh man You have a lot to do to prepare for H Dean! shock boohoo Be safe!!!! kissie

Okay Here is a Classic N'awlning Hurricane reciepe
Drink this with a straw, it will start out calm and finish with a storm notme shots
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup ice
2 fluid ounces light rum
2 fluid ounces passion fruit flavored syrup
1 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
1 ounce lime juice
1 fluid ounce 151 proof rum
DIRECTIONS
In a shaker, combine ice, light rum, passion fruit syrup, lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage and lime juice. Shake well and pour mixture into a Hurricane or other large specialty glass. Float the 151 proof rum on top of the drink.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I don't have passion flavored syrup.I have captian morgans rum.I planned on buying lime juice(you can use lemon or lime juice with salt to cook fish...no heat no flame zip.)I'll call the co line monday.sometime before the storm I'm takeing the chainsaw to be sharpened& buying a spare chain.

I'm still watching the monster in the gulf.

5k Posts
5k Posts
shock boohooi didnt even know there was a huracane commin your way njoynit! i hope youll be safe!

[Linked Image]
Wow, those flowers look amazing (all of the pic.s)!!!
It is much colder where I am, so I will have to enjoy them vicariously through your beautifull gardens!!!
I've never seen anything like those before!

2k Posts
2k Posts
Emerald
I know Canadians who drag them into pots into their garage and then back out in spring& replant them out.I just don't see how ya'll up there can do that& get great growth and loads of blooms.They do sell them in places up there.keep your eye out for them.You have some up there not avilable in the states.

For now....it looks like Dean will stay more south.Which is fine with me...but ya never know.I think I'll have to be within 200 miles for rain though.

5k Posts
5k Posts
kissieglad its staying south of ya! im still keepin ya in my thoughts n prayers till its gone though!
we been getting lots of rain my brugs are happy! think im gonna dig mine up for winter too, its cold in fall, freezin in winter n chilly in spring, summers the only good month for us up here.

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I'll gladly welcome ya to come down and sweat with me!

5k Posts
5k Posts
loli would prouble die of over heating wile your wearing a sweater lol

clapi gotta bloom on my purple datura!!!!!! those are from what you sent in from the seedswap last time! clap i noticed it when i walked down to check on my brugs!!!you can realy tell the brugs loved all the rain! i put a 3rd hose on my hoses so it will reach the brugs, then we get a bunch of rain lol o-well im prepared for a non rain day thumbup

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
These are my pitiful little brugs. It's been so hot and dry. I think it's a miracle that they're alive. Do you think they'll keep growing even at this slow pace?

[Linked Image]

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I'm sure they will Sheri , Just water , water , water, and feed them lots!!!
I water mine in the late evening and again in the morning . so far so good, although I did panic when it was 105 for a couple of days and I came home from work and they looked like wilted lettuce, and Gave them a good deep drink of water and they perked back up again, !

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
we got a little bit of rain tonight. Things are looking up.

2k Posts
2k Posts
also...mulch will help them keep their water longer.

I need to go mow while its 76 before 96.I sweated so bad yesterday while mowing.I was going to keep mowing while it rained....then it rained harder...so went and took shower& rain was done...I should have just stood in doorway huh.This mowing is NOT my ideal way of spending my Birthday.

I should have blooms on every brug in hex bed with pond in Sept.They all have got 'y's and all are forming buds.Bolero x GQ 'y'd 2 days ago.Jean Pasco after growing for 2 years has fineally 'y'd. Dr suess whos grown outside the fence for 3 years...I think he liked haveing some cannas removed...cause he's growing better& he's 'y'd.

WATER WATER FERTILIZER WATER WATER FERTILIZER.

I fertilized day before& ripped the spider zinnias out around Betty Marshall(seeds will re grow...I left some)

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
shock It's your birthday? It's not on the calendar! Happy Birthday!!!!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Njoynit I hope your Birthday Was a good one!!!!! You have been wished many Happy Birthday's In Banter hall! notme Glad the Hurricane passed you by,, kissie

Jessica How are your brugs doing / And Christy How about yours??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I love all the photos. I only have the white one. Is the pink one really called unnamed pink? never heard of it either. i saw alot of nice ones.i love yellow. where do i find all those colors???

I love my garden
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Mine are doing good Diane!! I should take more pics before they just keep on blooming!

2k Posts
2k Posts
my unknown pink had a name...but in the move 7 yrs ago it lost its tag.Then are some that are sold just by color only,but are named ones availeable.

In fall I'll have cuttings.So your from Indiana huh...I use to live Indpls.

Indiana is ok. I live in the city and wish I lived in the country. Neighbors are 8 feet away. Hence the large rose of sharon bushes. lol, I have hunderds of plants TO SHARE ALSO...

I love my garden
2k Posts
2k Posts
Thats why we moved...I've actually got a cup of sugar from my neighbors bedroom window to my kitchen...we never left our houses.I could mow my whole yard...front& back in 11 minutes...now I'm working on shortening the 4 hr mow I have now....when I'm not busy tearing the mower up.(I've also turned my TV up to block the other neighbors TV...My windows we're shut) I like living in the woods.it just takes a minuim of 30 minutes to reach civilazation& you might wait awhile if break down on road unless have cell.

My MIL is now going to leave Indpls the 9th.I'm trying to get her to go thrift store this weekend to the sales and get me some COLTS sweat pants and short sleave shirts.(It sucks watching a game in sweat shirts in TX durring football season...I have finally got 3 t shirts*won last game 34-9 against lions* )

My buds are still growing...I found out why versicolor orange keeps getting its buds chewed off...monarch cats.They keep going for the big ones...they let them grow some...wish they'd die of poisoning.Looks like dr suess will be next one blooming.seedling pink is blooming smaller flowers maybe cause was so darn hot while they formed...likely the 100s the whole time.they are just NOT budding fast enough for me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image