#10283 Mar 31st, 2007 at 08:08 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Hi all...
I'm shipping a baby Jade that I got to someone on Monday. It is a small one and is healthy. I just wanted some second opinions on how I plan to ship it. I've included some pictures below. The pot it is in is a 1" clay pot....the plant is maybe 1 1/2" tall. I just watered it today, so it should be OK until my friend gets the plant. I plant on putting saran wrap around the pot and base of the Jade so that the soil doesn't end up falling out of the pot during shipping. The box it is going in is a small one and I'm going to put tissue paper under and around the entire plant. It is soo small and light, I don't really see it shifting during shipping with tissue paper in the box. Also, the Jade has what I call freckles on the leaves. They are white spots. I put a picture of them below....I'm thnking that the store just sprayed water over the babies and that any impurities in the water sat in the leaves' pores and turned white.....am I thinking correctly with this thought??? My Jade had them when I first got it and I cleaned the pores out with Q-tips and good water and the spots went away. Second opinions....anyone??

The Jade
[Linked Image]

The freckles
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
You are right about the water and for shipping your baby you can buy the card board tubes that people use for mailing posters and maps and such,cut to the size you need.Just an idea.

500 Posts
500 Posts
Sounds like you already know what to do with the plant. Would you be willing to change your font? I find what you are using now extremely hard to read. Just a thought...

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by margaret e. pell
Sounds like you already know what to do with the plant. Would you be willing to change your font? I find what you are using now extremely hard to read. Just a thought...

margaret is on the money on both thoughts. i sent weezie a jade a while back ( you know how far that was) and it made it fine. the only thing i did that i didn't see mentioned (i'm with margaret on the font too) is that i made a "bib" out of plastic wrap around the stem, then tied it around the bottom of the plant to keep the soil in the pot.

500 Posts
500 Posts
that is a pretty jade plant

Sandy
I know this is going to sound bad,but I don't know how to do that.Little help and I will change my type for you.Sorry about the lack of computer skills.All new to me.

hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Lizard, they were telling ME to change my font. I was trying to have a little fun. I figured Bill went through the trouble of giving us the cool fonts, we could at least use them. Anyways, don't worry yourself with it.

[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by hisgal2
Lizard, they were telling ME to change my font. I was trying to have a little fun. I figured Bill went through the trouble of giving us the cool fonts, we could at least use them. Anyways, don't worry yourself with it.
kissie jenn, i agree with the fun, i just couldn't read it tears (i copied into word to adjust it)

these eyes are old! like their owners...

500 Posts
500 Posts
Why ship the pot? I usually put the soil and plant in a sandwich bag and use a rubber band to hold the soil in the plastic. Saran wrap works good also. Then I push the plant into a toilet paper sleeve.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
500 Posts
500 Posts
I just mailed Sandy113 a start and i just put mine in a baggy
and put wet paper towel in mine and I gave her the rooting powder too mine made it to her ok.But i could read ur post just find and sounds like u have a good plan for sending urs

500 Posts
500 Posts
yes and she made it safely she is also healthy

Sandy
hisgal2 Offline OP
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OP Offline
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I was afraid to send it with a moist paper towel because of how easily a young jade could get rot. I also didn't want Sandy to have to repot the plant right away if she wasn't ready to. Anyways, soo glad she made it safely. :)

[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
i repoted her yesterday

Sandy
I mail out plants now and then. What I do when I send plants is put some sphagnum peat, or you could use part of a plastic bag, say from like Walmart over the soil and put a couple rubber bands over both sides of the plant down around under the bottom of the pot to keep the soil in.
Then I wrap the entire pot & plant with some bubble wrap,(you could also use crumbled newspaper (lots) with pot cupped in sandwich baggy with rubber band (around the middle of the pot)
I'll put in an inch or so of the packing peanuts in the bottom of the box, then set the wrapped plant in the middle and add more peanuts which should cover and keep it
tight and upright (as much as possible)
Make sure you cover the plant all the way up so when you close the box the peanuts are just under the box flaps. Sometimes I'll add a sheet of newspaper over the top of the peanuts before closing for good measure.

You don't know how many times I have gotten a plant in the mail and the poor thing would be out of the pot and soil is everywhere.

Susan

Last edited by DowntoEarth; Apr 14th, 2007 at 10:16 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image