Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#114239 Aug 19th, 2007 at 05:53 PM
OP Offline
I have a purple pitcher plant with a beautiful flower, I was told the flower will produce seeds. How do I know when it's ready, and what do I do with it when it is? Thanks in advance!

onecoolmama #114311 Aug 19th, 2007 at 07:11 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Oh WOW can you post a picture?? I didn't even know pitcher plants gave off flowers only pictures UNless what you have is not the norm of what I call a picture plant! Some of them so give off flowers I have a thread going in this same forum have a look see and see if it's in the same family. What is the specific name of your plant??

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #114339 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:00 PM
OP Offline
I have a some pics, but I dont know how to post 'em. The drag'n'drop method doesn't work and it's the only method I know :) I also don't know the specific name, I bought it at a hole in the wall store, and they didn't even know it was a pitcher lpant. Any directions on how to post a pic would be appreciated too!!

onecoolmama #114346 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:06 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Opps I made a mistake My threads are in the carnivorous threads You can see my pictures there and see if they are the same,,

ALso Get a Photobucket.com account( ALL FREE) load your pictures( click on Browse on photobucket) from your puter on to it and then click to copy and Past 'Imagine" line from there to here Very easy!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #114354 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:10 PM
OP Offline
Oh thank you I'm pretty new to this and am having a bit of trouble finding my way around, sometimes I get lost in here, but i'ts a happy kinda lost! Let me check out your thread and I'll get back to ya. also I'll check out photobucket.com.

onecoolmama #114362 Aug 19th, 2007 at 08:17 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Heyyyy no problem CoolMama,, Glad to help in anyway I can,, I need to hit the hay in a few, so If I'm not here someone will further guide you!!
I'll check after work tomarrow and see what's up with your Pitcher incomparison to mine thumbup.There are sooo many different families of them Hilands and Lowlands and many therein!! shock

I'll check bk with Ya tomarrow for sure! wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #114420 Aug 19th, 2007 at 09:44 PM
OP Offline
Yep, I gotta get some kip too, I'll check this out tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your help and I'll look ya up soon!

onecoolmama #115270 Aug 20th, 2007 at 07:48 PM
OP Offline
Hey angelblossom, I got my photobucket account and got my pics loaded onto it, but it won't let me copy and paste, I can't find the imagine (or image, in case that was a typo) line, I guess I'm still stuck. I did check out your pics and they dont look anythin like what I have. I'll be on here for a little while and I'll check back tomorrow and see if you know what I'm doin' wrong in photobucket.

onecoolmama #115297 Aug 20th, 2007 at 08:06 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
when you view the album, (instead of one pic at a time) there are usually 3 lines under the photos. the one you want to click on is the one that says image or img tags.

#115745 Aug 21st, 2007 at 02:11 PM
OP Offline

Last edited by Jiffymouse; Aug 21st, 2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: i turned the photos to links 'cause they were too large. 640x480 is the max. thanks for understanding.
onecoolmama #115748 Aug 21st, 2007 at 02:17 PM
OP Offline
Hey, hey, it worked! That answers my computer questions, lol, now, if anyone has any answers to my plant question, I'll be set!! Thanks guys!

onecoolmama #115852 Aug 21st, 2007 at 07:24 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
you can resize your pics in photobucket. choose the 640x480 option, it's great thumbup

and that is a cool plant, makes me want one!

#116166 Aug 22nd, 2007 at 07:10 AM
OP Offline
Sorry about the huge pics, I'll resize 'em from now on. Any ideas about the flower or seeds?

onecoolmama #116466 Aug 22nd, 2007 at 04:52 PM
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Onecoolmoma that looks a lot like my purple Saricenia or purple pitcher plant. Look at this pic of mine does it look like the one you have blooming?

[Linked Image]

If so I have a great deal to look forward to that is fantastic.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
onecoolmama #116525 Aug 22nd, 2007 at 07:38 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

WOW that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! shock I've never seen a bloom like that!! clap clap So I'm not sure what it is exactly tho , WOW Oh WOW I love it!!!!!!!! ,

I'm sooo glad you got the pitcures on !! I will look up a site I had with blooms on pitcher plants and see if we can't find your plant!! thumbup

Okay CoolMama Here is a site with the blooms Maybe if you look thru it you can ID you Pitcher!

http://www.honda-e.com/IPW_5_PhotoIndex/Ph1_index_PitcherPlants.htm

If not then we'll just keep looking untill we ID it and learn to harvest seeds, The site above may have that info in it, ! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jimmy V #116541 Aug 22nd, 2007 at 08:08 PM
OP Offline
Hey Jimmy that sure does look like what I have. Mine was already pretty established and had the flower when I bought it. It only had three pitchers and all the ones that have grown since then have started out looking like yours do.
[Linked Image]

onecoolmama #116555 Aug 22nd, 2007 at 08:35 PM
OP Offline
Well thank you Angelblossom. I really appreciate that link, its in my favorites now and I hope we can figure it out, too. When I bought the pitcher and got it home I found a tiny, tiny sundew plant in there too, and its doing pretty good as well. I'm gonna hit the hay, but I'll check back in tomorrow. Later guys!

onecoolmama #117714 Aug 24th, 2007 at 01:00 PM
OP Offline
I love that link you turned me on to, I saw some pitchers that look like mine and a few blooms similar to mine, but not from the same plant! I'm still stumped!?

onecoolmama #117762 Aug 24th, 2007 at 02:10 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm Wellllllll I'll do more searching in my favs list and see what I can find or link to you okay! But I would think that once the flower is spent ~ Then let it brown and dry to retreave the seeds... as with most seed producing flowers??

Okay I quickly found a link that tells you how to harvest the seeds.. and I think I may have found your plant I'm not sure tho because I don't know if your flower is fully open or not..

For the seeds>>>>>>>>> http://www.the-venus-flytrap.com/reproduction.html

Maybe your plant??>>>>>>>> click on the Sarracenia Flava if that's not it there are many more you can click on. BUt the flower on here looks most like you from what I could tell Can you get a close up of the pitcher and the flower?? IF none on this link is yours?? http://www.pitcherplant.com/sarracen.html

Ohhhhh Coolmama Has the outer petals of the flower darken to burgandy?? IF so IT could be the purple pitcher plant it blooms yellow then the outer petals turn purple/burgandy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_pitcher_plant

click on this and scroll down it shows where the seeds are in the flower!
http://www.botany.org/carnivorous_plants/Sarracenia_purpurea.php

And where the seeds are that looks like the flower in the picture you posted,, BUT I can't see your pitcher itself clearly enough to know if it's the same! BUt check this out ! http://www.botany.org/carnivorous_plants/Sarracenia_flava.php

Well CoolMama I hope this has helped!! why LOL I guess I gave you enough to look at huh?? notme lol most of those sites have a lot of info!!!!!!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #117888 Aug 24th, 2007 at 05:01 PM
OP Offline
Holy Cow, Angelblossom, I could get lost for hours on those links!! Sooo coool! On the Wikipedia link the Sarracenia purpurea purpurea fits the bill exactly! When I first got it the flower was light greenish yellow and its turning redish brown now. I was afraid it was languishing, but its just doing its flower thing. Those links were very informative, I've already found some other answers just by browsing around! Thank you soo much for walking me right into the answer I needed, some I just wanted, and a few I didn't even know I was lookin' for!

onecoolmama #118053 Aug 24th, 2007 at 10:54 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Your sooo very welcome CoolMama!!!!!

By the way My name is [Linked Image], you can call me by which ever you're comfortable with! thumbup

Yep that was a lot of reading , But By others passing those links to me ( some of them) I was able to learn much on My pitcher plant as well,, like Jiffy, a hostess on here says ........ Pay it forward!! grin ;) Glad You found answers you didn't know you had questions for ! notme lol lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image