Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10076 Mar 31st, 2007 at 05:33 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Oh, about four or five years ago, I planted a Louisiana Iris in the front side of my house. It is finally established, this year alone, I have counted eight individiual stalks, some in bloom, others soon to be! flwr I remembered reading that it would take at least five years for blooms.

After cutting a few of the shoots or stalks for lack of a better word, I discovered each stalk has staggering blooms, totaling four blooms each per stalk. I had never really saw that until today. Have others noticed that?

This La. Iris is named "Freddy Boy".

Take a look

[Linked Image]

Here's a close up of the flower.

[Linked Image]

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
pretty! i've never seen those before.

#10195 Mar 31st, 2007 at 07:11 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Very pretty.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #10200 Mar 31st, 2007 at 07:16 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Never hear of it Stephanie,, It's beautiful!!!!! So Now it will bloom everyyear? And mulitply??? Boy that wait was worth it tho!! :thum: flwr flwr

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
500 Posts
500 Posts
That is a really pretty color. I like it alot. I have Black Gamecock Louisiana Iris it is blue and it blooms like that. I grow mine in the pond. It multiplies really fast.

[Linked Image]

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #10366 Apr 1st, 2007 at 03:16 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
what a beautiful color Cinta!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
MLN Offline
I had some yellow Louisiana iris at our other house. Mine also was growing down by our lake and multiplied very fast. And they did have the habit of putting on multiple flowers on each stem. I've never seen that particular color--I just love it! It really was worth the wait. I'll have to be looking for that one to add to my own garden!

[Linked Image]
Nature Lover
MLN #10473 Apr 1st, 2007 at 06:50 AM
I have never heard of Louisana iris. How does it differ from other Iris and where do you get one?

Serenity

Believe In Miracles!
500 Posts
500 Posts
Thank you angelblossom I love the blue but I am now going to have to search for that pretty pink one. LOL

I brought mine at a watergarden store because they grow in bog conditions really good. They do multiply quick.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
#12009 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 01:26 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
yes they DO multiply quick i have a overgrown bed full.I keep trading& sending and they multiply faster than I mail.I like the color of 'freddy boy'I had a rust colored one that was pretty too.The one in corner is close to it,but was not as dark.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=Louisiana+iris&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz2&b=41

Here's one of mine in bloom.
flowers/April12007iris.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

My yellows bloom later& in 2003 it was such a mild

winter....they bloomed for Valentine's day.but the flowers we're smaller.

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/more_than_links/rich_louisiana_iris.html

Serinity.I'll gladly keep thinning mine and send you some.just pay for flat rate shipping.The one shown pictured has a 2nd bloom for later this week.I've not had 5 blooms on one before but have had 3.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Njoynit
Thanks for the kind offer. I would love to have one and would be glad to pay for shipping. I will atempt a private message to get the details. I think I might have the perfect spot for the iris.

Believe In Miracles!
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi Jiffy,
Thanks! I thought it a little unusual too and loved the color when I originally saw it for sale.

jonni13,
Thanks!

Diane,
Thanks, yes, it will bloom every year. Last year I had a few blooms but nowhere near what's showing this year! flwr

cinta,
Thanks! Interesting. Glad to hear you have Irises blooming that way, with four blooms on a stem. So cool!

MLN,
Hmms, same kind of blooms on your yellow! Good to know. Hope you find "Freddy Boy" down your way. Let me know.

Serenity, I'm not sure about the difference in Louisiana irises and irises. I purchased this one at a local nursery.

Triss
Thanks

Thanks Penny

njoynit, hi,
Thanks! That rust one you had sounded very different. You said, had, what happened to it?

I'm so enjoying Freddy Boy this season. Vased them as they bloom in a 50s or 60's vintage martini mixer glass.

I have a question. I read just this past weekend La. irises have seed pods and they should be taken off. Hadn't seen any on mine. Where should I be looking?

Would make for a great seed swap here at the Gardener's Forum huh? flwr flwr

2k Posts
2k Posts
The phone company ran a new phone line....right through stella daylilly and a few iris.The BES survived the install.

yes some will set pods.You can pull them off.I don't keep them on my purples.I let my yellows set some when 1st moved so could grow more...have enough yellows now so won't be doing that either.BUT If you want to try growing one........let it turn brown on plant and then pick off and let dry some more.you can plant it outdoors in october 3/4 inches & leave it be.in the spring the foliage will sprout up but it's not going to bloom its a baby,just relocate it to where you want it to grow& it will lose foliage for the summer and come spring will sprout& bloom.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi njonit,
Sorry about the phone company's choice of wire location. nono

Where is the pod located on the stem and what does it look like? :/

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Can anyone tell me where the seed pods are located on the Louisiana Iris? I have spent stalks but I'll keep them until I hear of seed location. Anyone? :/ flwr

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image