Rate Thread
#13576 Apr 3rd, 2007 at 04:44 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
As most of you probably already know, we're moving in late april. I was at the house yesterday and found that the yard wasn't as nice as i though when I first went to look at it. For one, evergreen trees have taken over one side of the chainlink fence facing the train tracks, and will probably shade most of the yard. second, most of the yard is FILLED with creeping charlie! and there are no garden beds, all turf! It's going to be a long task making beds... :( the also left two big containers with the remains of last year's plants in it, I can't remember off hand what the tags said, but I'm 90% sure they're not perennial (no green sprouts poking out), there is a bed at the side of the house but it's in shade, however, I saw some bulbs poking out (probably some tulips), found the remains of a dried morning glory with seed pods still there (I helped sprinkle the seeds in the same spot below the trellis against the wall), some sedums were poking out too, some grass like clumps (whihc smelled garlicky when I crushed it) and what appears to be a small clump of columbine. Hopefully, I can get the hosta that I got last year moved there. oh boy!

anyways, enough of my complaining, does anyone know how to remove creeping charlie without using borax, or any pesticides? would it help if I removed the turf along with like the first inch or so of soil and just throw top soil over it and start planting? I want to direct sow most of the things so I at least have some colour...I might buy some plugs, depending how $$ I am when we're done moving

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
#13816 Apr 4th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
If it's an invasive plant, I'd go with digging it out. I have goutweed and it's a handful I tell you, I am steady pulling it out by the handfuls.

Kenny, try not to be discouraged but think of it as a brand new adventure. Show us some pics if you can. Can you also pm me your address, I'd like to help you get a start with some seeds if you'd like.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #13913 Apr 4th, 2007 at 06:47 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
And you still have the seeds here from the seed exchange. So there is plenty to look forward to.

I'm thinking the lazagna raised bed method might be best. You could start it now and have a nice flower bed for the summer right?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #14490 Apr 4th, 2007 at 04:11 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Tammy, could you elaborate on the lasagne bed? THanks but no thanks Tamara, I've already got more seeds than I can handle :o but thanks so much for the though anyways! Triss, I'm afraid I don't have that much time! I'm going to be going into university in two years (I'm in grade ten rite now) I guess pots would work too! I maybe scatter some seeds over it to try to have the weed smothered out! Maybe some more grass seeds or stuff like cosmos, or MINT! I love mint, and can let it take over the yard!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image