Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14227 Apr 4th, 2007 at 09:23 AM
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Here is my red rose and ice burg in bloom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
500 Posts
500 Posts
ooh!!my iceberg has 6-7 buds on it then blooms constantly til like,what..November? shots

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Do you get any pests on your roses?

In Penna......Japanese beetles chew the heck on them.Holes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
500 Posts
500 Posts
yeah. not often I get aphids.and leaf cutter bees.....

also I get small holes in the leaves,but didnt know what was doin' the damage.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:mad:
We've fat japanese beetles......I am going to try to rake up a Hot pepper spray this year and see what happens??
No harm in trying......

What do you put on yours?/ I hate to get pricey spray.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
well,since the aphids arent too bad -knock on wood-
I usually just mash them when i see 'em.
But i also use a 3 in 1 systemic. it feeds, has insecticide and fungicide. I dont use it as often as i should though,so the black spot is still around.
But for powdery mildew,I use mouthwash,watered down about 1 part mouthwash(alcohol based) to 3 parts water,and spray 1-2 time daily til gone.:)

Sorry,but for Beetles,I dunno.but I'll try to find out what other people in town are using and letcha know.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Thanks,

Beetles are nutty here.

I have to try mouthwash stuff..SOunds good.

How about white fly?/ I have it inside now?
Use water spray or soap.. They stay.
mooo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
dunno. we get"gnats" inside where the windows sweat.same thing? I wonder.....

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
My 1st sure way to rid them beatles is ducks.My pekins ate real good on them.but I know everyone won't have a duck or 3 for pets...and do miss mine dearly...But SIL has got one.Katy is a week old now.I'll gladly put dogs in house this summer so she can eat any bugs I have issues with.

I use neem oil in the garden so alot of my stuff is controlled.I've read about folks useing surround(clay coating).But if you KNOW you have this problem.you can buy nematodes for the soil cause they overwinter in your soil& combining that with neem use.if you don't elimate them......they will be in smaller numbers.

If you get a Gardens alive catalog.use the $25 free product card.you will get what you need for free or just a few bucks .
http://www.gardensalive.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1175802976

I've also added marigolds to the garden this year.nematode thing too.

And while I'm back.............shots of my rambling rose engulfing fence...sending out lots of new canes& that red roses 2nd days bloom& a wider veiw shot of where that red rose grows....and has shot up a new cane as well.2nd yr in that spot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Ducks, ducks in my yard....Used to have them, they pooped the whole way across the yard every time they crossed.

Guess i rather have beetles.
How is Katy coming along?

Makes life different ....Now..If we didnt have snow we would all enjoy the sun.. Your rose was vivid red lookin to us at this time of the year.. YOur doing a great job .

Keep the photos coming.. Make them larger.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Katy will follow feet.she's still a lil unsteady.she's a much neater eater than my brood was(but has no competion either)I still think she should be named peanut.katy gonna be pissed if shes a HE...HA

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd rather step in duck poop than dog poop

I'm more happy with the red rose since its doing better.I've had it 4 years and it was NOT happy in 1st spot.last year it finally bloomed more than once,so I'm hoping it does better this year.It really did not care for full complete sun from sunup-sundown.it's on the border of 6 hours sun.Now that rambler is full complete sun.I get the thrills of trimming the monster this year.

you can click the picture to see better.....or click it to set as wall paper

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rose

Katy is a cutie......Maybe if I had just one .. the neighbors have 2 in our dams yearly?? The duck might follow them...........I used to have Peking ducks..Many years ago.

The red rose is a beauty. Did you ever try the tiny mini roses? I wasnt into roses till my sister gave me it.. Called Stripie I think......ANd it grows like crazy.....
Now I bought a blue one.
SOmeone in Colorado sent me an Orange one and it is gorgours.

Thats it.. No more.....i hate getting jug..........Thorns are not my bag......Along with the Palms with needles.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I tried some minis about 6 years ago.I killed them.they smelled good too....while they lived.Somewhere in my blue box...my rose file box.I have a list with 3 growers of the mini's.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
This mini was given to me by a sister..Dont know where she ordered.Probably sundays paper ads?///

Ha it is a real cutie.........We share our flowers.. Last year she bought me a blue clematis ..Mine lived , hers died.
When she lived in Ohio, she had arches full of them .. Beautiful too.

Do you take cuttings and root? Mine didnt work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I've been messing with rooting them for about 7 years now.My best yet has been this year.I used olderwood cuts& removed ALL leaves.I Didn't even use rooting hormone this time,but I did water it the 1st few times(or 1 gallons worth)with root starter my miracle grow. The rambler rooted where left vines of it over the winter on soil covered in spots.I've NEVER had luck with new growth of green cuts....but when trim my rambler....will try again.I'll have lots of cuts to destroy in the process.I seem to have about 30 pages of crap on rooting rose cuts in file box,but it's not helped me alot.My best luck has always been over the winter rooting.

I have a struggling jack clemtris(but looks promising this year)Nelly Moser is doing well& have took out of hanging basket.Elsa Spath I'm trying to remember where I planted her.I killed Niobe.And I can't seem to root one of those either.

This is what my aloha rose will look like.It's close to blooming 3 buds have color.

http://www.roguevalleyroses.com/product_info.php/products_id/4

It's a good rose.My ones in less sun have some blackspot,but it's not bad& is actually just the ones on one side of the arbor.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
[Linked Image]

Here is the Orange rose I received from a swap.. Colorado.
The picture doesnt do it justice.....It was a plant someone bought at the nursery and got 2 and didnt want this one.
However the beetles take over about the 2nd blooming.. I have to go hunt the Mini to show.
My neice does cuttings under the jar in winter and it works . Mine didnt.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Thats pretty.My aloha buds re showing more color.I wish they'd hurry up.....and my rambler.I think the new shoots are doing faster than the buds...lol

Mini rose vender
http://www.almostheavenroses.com/minicat.htm
Boy hanging baskets.This site has grown since I was last at.I may have to order some.Love that orange honey.
http://www.johnsminiatureroses.com/welcome.html

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rspb flwr bop

You R Spoiled.............. boohooI am green with envy.

roses in April......I am lucky if my tulips show up.

Very beautiful.........Joking of course!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I just got back from town.No Arizona rose.I'll have to hope for the next shipment.BUT I bought Dreamward(which I've had before)And oklahoma rose.It is very fragrant& is to DIE for.It was a toss up between Queen Elizabeth& OR won me over.

My roses bloom till almost December.Then a break till April In 2003 I had blooms on valentines day.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
breakfast

Things sound so rosey with you... wavy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Yeah.And it's not getting better.
I bought another today.and when I went to town I had NO PLANS on stopping at Walmart.But Brookshire's freezers and coolers we're on the blitz so we're removing the stuff....so I still needed milk/sour cream/ice cream/eggs..........So off to Walmart I went.MIL said I should've bought her one yesterday...so I did today& Our Lady Of Guadalupe entered as well.A nice smelling fragrant climber....my favorite style.METAL TAG!MIL is red.I space the name at moment.she also bought 3 when went to /dr's today red stripe a yellow& a solid red.I think they got a partial shipment in though..........they had a bunch of mini's for 3.98 in gallon pots.some new periennial's& red oleander that's not got pink blooms(I'd move my 2 non red pinks for 2 red............)

My aloha buds are starting to open.I bet they'll look GOOD tomorrow.
Back to watching my misting rain fall...........

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts

clap

Enjoy your posies, least ways you will do something you enjoy........It's good for your health and good exercise.

Let us know how they grow.

Wish I had texas sunshine..
;o)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image