#131123 Sep 18th, 2007 at 05:56 PM
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nooo nooo

Went to Lowe's with HD yesteday and found Orchids on sale.......I purchased Phalaenopsis yellow/ pha. pink/ for 5 dollars
and a
Dendrobium for $3.

So I spent $8.00 yesterday, and I am glad I did.....They are done blooming, but I know they will do it again......Cause I have one white one.. Now I have 4 Orchids to add to my bunch.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
good buy thumbup orchids don't like me.

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

Thanks Jiffy.......
I just nurse them back to health..........I think tkhooper taught me.. Sent me the orchid soil..........

Now I am having fun. blush

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've got one that if size is the correct indicator should flower next year. That is if I can get the light right. I'm excited by the prospect. I never thought I'd be able to keep them alive either.

Congrats on your purchase. That's a really great deal on orchids.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding: :ding:

Thanks tkhooper;

You got me started and I am impressed with the results.....Mine bloomed 2 or 3 times already.....Now I will see how long the others take.. The one is only a baby.

Better yet my HD likes them too. The bloom last a couple months .. I read online how to care for them and read the directions on the plant..Guess it worked.

Thanks again for the confidence.. And your red zinnia's are great .. I am waiting for the the orange and yellow seeds for you

barb
thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Could anyone share the wealth of knowledge on how to keep them alive? I have my first and all the blooms have fell off. I read online that once that happens, to cut it back to the node of the last bloom. I did that, but don't know what to expect...? I feel like I am waiting around for something!!

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
i have no problems yet with mine..Did you put them in orchid soil ?
Charcoal wood mix?
Each type I read the growing conditions and do it . Some require water all the time.....No sun
others want sun an no water.
I have several types ......so far they are all well.
What is the name of you yours?

maybe I can help.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
alot depends on your orchid as dodge mentioned. Tropical Orchids are notorius for being hard to care for while Alpine Orchids are much easier.

The most important thing to know is that the roots of an orchid must be able to breath so if you can afford it get an orchid pot.

The orchid "soil" is also of extreme importance as Dodge mentioned. It allows the roots to breath and also allows the water to drain out.

Most orchids in the wild live below a living canopy and are happy in dappled light but as Dodge mentioned there are exceptions.

Getting an orchid to bloom requires the right amount of light. It could be if your flowers just dropped off recently that it is just the end of the bloom cycle and you'll have blooms again next year.

If you can get one of those bark-y sticks, you can sometimes find at the garden centers, are nice posts for supporting the orchid as it grows and flowers.

Good Luck with your Orchid.

Dodge, great buy at the HD. Wish I weren't moving I'd be prowling around my HD looking for orchid bargains. Maybe when yours has babies you can keep me in mind.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
I haven't invested into any special pots......???
My newest orchid is growing out of a tiny split log.

Called Dendrobium.........from Lowes.. $1.00 plant
It says only put water on once in a while.

It isn't dead yet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I read that orchids don't actually grow in soil, but moss and something else (?) instead. I haven't bought any special mixture to grow it in, it is growing within the original composition i bought it with.

I did see an orchid pot...but I couldn't afford it at the time!! I didn't realize they require good drainage and breathable conditions...the pot i currently have it in doesn't have any holes for it to breath.

I am thinking that maybe my plant is just at the end of its bloom cycle. So, until next season...thanks for the advice as always!!

dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
jillbs

Dont worry much of the pot.. Mine are in the regular reddish clay pots.. One is in a plastic pot first and clay on the outside.
I purchased a regular rectangular glazed pot with holes in the bottom and have it setting in a plastic catcher in the bottom for water...
Even a margarine tub would work for that.

In the store they sell regular Orchid mix........Tk hooper sent me part of her bag..(Bless her ) I just used the last of it ..I think $7.00 a bag.
It is charcoal like and wood chips mix to put he orchid in .. I have repotted mine and they bloomed 2 times in one year..
One is in the south window
One in the east window
One in the west window....

They all had different specifications.

What is the name of yours?

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey Barb,

Did you see Alan's Orchid pot? I have a serious case of the I wants when it comes to that pot. I think it is gorgeous.

Mine are in miniature tin buckets. They are tall and thin and heavy enough that the plants and their stakes won't topple the plant. I've been tempted to poke holes in it several times but I haven't done it yet. I'm afraid that because the side are tapered I'd end up with water all over everything when I watered lol.

I'm glad to hear that your orchids are doing well without special pots it gives me hope.

I really think we probably started growing orchids around the same time. I started out with babies so next year will be their first year when they might bloom. I've got my fingers crossed everyway possible that they do bloom.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hi TK,

No I didn't see Alan's Orchid pot.Where is it ?
I was reading somewhere online last nite, the reason one must put that Orchid mix, you sent me, is because it allows the water to run away from the roots.
The roots will rot if kept in water alone.

Now I know why my first batch from Malaysia died.. I kept them in water for months .. lol lol lol How dumb.

Well I started with the one same time as you , but it was a tall one $8. I paid today they are about $24 . And now I own 6 .........2 from Malaysia.. free.
IN YOUR POTTING SOIL. They are growing.
3 i picked up at the fall sale in Lowes this fall.. One baby and the one in a wood stump and another..So that is 6.. The ones at the sale was $1 to 3 dollars.
One is a baby.

The big one has bloomed the 2nd time for me.. Must of been in bloom for several months ...............I give it weak miracle gro about once a month.
I chose small pots cause i have window sills in the kitchen and like them on there.
b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Ok here are my orchids.

Largest on the group on the window sill is my first one it bloomed 2 times.
THe sides are newbies.
THe 2 by themselves are Malaysia ones

3rd one by itself is in the block of wood only.

Notice the clay pots as well as shiny glazed one..
I read the clay pot lets the roots breath , is what a Orchid needs. rolz rolz rolz rolz

Hope I said it correct.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/ORICHIDS%20OCT%20%202007/DSCF6298.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/ORICHIDS%20OCT%20%202007/DSCF6297.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/ORICHIDS%20OCT%20%202007/DSCF6300.jpg
Whoops I did it wrong...............here it is..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by dodge; Oct 22nd, 2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: 2 times wrong

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
yep you have one of the golden shower ones from our friend Nor too. It's the short one. The other variety from her I got both the one with white blooms and the one with purple. I am so looking forward to them blooming.

That is if I can get them through the move. That's going to be my next huge project. I'm digging up plants and putting them in pots so that I can transport them to the new location in January. If I waited I wouldn't even be able to dig them up. This way I know where they are and can still get at them. I've even got friends saving milk cartons so that I have "pots" large enough to take the plants with extensive root systems.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rose

I understand.....I call her nml and dont know which part is her name. lol

What I do in the winter to bring plant in for keeping.. I am putting lots of different types in the same pot.. Wont kill them .. Say like 7 in the same pot.
Margarine tubs , milk cartoons....
Happy moving.........

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thanks Barb,

I've got to go through all my containers and see which ones are going with me and which ones aren't. I already packed up all the yogurt containers because they are so great for starting seeds.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
clap

Welcome to the Yogurt Rebellion...........I have those all over for my seeds and plants and give aways.
I put plants into them when shipping tender ones. After I put the wet paper around the roots, I put foil around it put it all in a baggie and tie with something ..Put that into the yogurt cup and fold in half and it fits great even into the bubblers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That sounds like a great way to ship live plants.

I guess one of the things I need to do next is get ideas for moving plants in winter. I am so not looking forward to doing that. I'm sure it won't be easy.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
idea

How about ice chests for the smaller plants??????
Garbage cans for the taller ones???????

And put crumbled up newspaper between the pots to prevent tipping?

Last edited by dodge; Oct 23rd, 2007 at 06:19 AM. Reason: misprint

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I never thought about that. And I think I have just the thing to stabilize them. thanks Barb.

[Linked Image]
dodge Offline OP
Hot Rod
20k Posts
OP Offline
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
That sounds like a good idea. I never thought about that. And I think I have just the thing to stabilize them. thanks Barb.
clap

My pleasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image