Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14453 Apr 4th, 2007 at 02:08 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Hi guys! My daughter keeps trying to eat these, and I'm afraid to let her in the back yard because I don't know what they are. They grow on a tree- they look like small, smooth, purple-black berries. If you squish them, the berry-skin comes off, and you're left with a little green nut shell. Fairly smooth, not too hard. The entire berry is smaller than one shelled peanut. I have pix of the berries, the nuts, the leaves, and the tree. The leaves are serrated (? have little pointies?), smooth on front and back, and just slightly lighter green on back. We're in California, and the tree requires no special care- not even watering. I'll post the pix in a couple of posts, because I don't think you're supposed to overload one post with them. I'd appreciate any help.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pde8a32172483f0217d9f3d40bb46a652/ea0ed8b7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p67a8c96fcca621616087d23d84dbce19/ea0ed8b5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p8a4283e19976884c355320f64b208b4d/ea0ed8af.jpg

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts

1k Posts
1k Posts
Try your local poison control center.
If the berries are poisonous, you'd have to cut it down so the child can enjoy the yard.

Last edited by DeborahL; Apr 4th, 2007 at 02:32 PM.
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
No, poison control can't help unless I can identify the plant.

5k Posts
5k Posts
I have no idea what those are, geegeeburr. Maybe your local extention agent could identify? I bet you could just shoot them an email with the pics attached.

Also, maybe it is a sapote? I know that all of the pics here don't match, but a few looked quite similiar. Google Sapote Images

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Give it some time, maybe Papito or RugbyHukr or M. D. Vaden of Oregon , or Arctostaphylos or The Plant Doc...

Will come thru and give a holler..
They're all pretty good at identifing those...

*****If they don't come thru in a bit, someone remind me
and I will give them all a shout...******

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am in Cal too. It looks a little like photinia leaves but most of the time those are large shrubs. Or viburnum has the same type berries (shrubs again). I have elderberry trees with edible berries but the leaves are slightly different shaped. Try googling those.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do the birds in the area eat the berries?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i thought they looked like olives, but i know that cant be right.

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions! I looked at the Sapote, and it does look similar, but the leaves are different, I think. I'll have to look up images of the other suggestions.

What is an extension agent?

Papito sent me a couple of suggestions, which looked similar, but again, I think not exact. Maybe someone else will pop in with ideas.

I am not sure it the birds eat them. My guess would be probably yes, because of the occasionally purple bird poop, but there are a lot of fruit trees in this area. Will check in again later. Thanks!

:)Geegee

Most counties in CA have an extension service that is a branch of your state Agricultural University. The service is managed by the extension agent. If you are familiar with Master Gardeners, they are the volunteer arm of the extension office. Type in your county name and state in the google search to get your local office.

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Los Angeles Cooperative Extension:
LA Cooperative Extension

LA Master Gardener Info

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
1k Posts
1k Posts
looks like a holly leaf cherry that has crossbred with another cherry.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

This plant looks like a wild choke cherry tree. I am not sure if they are poisoness or not. Hope this helps some.

Carla
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
Hi all! I've been googling all these possibilities, and here's more info, just in case anyone might have other guesses.

Okay, it's not photinia or vibernum (sp?). Also, it is definitely a tree, not a shrub. It does look very similar to an elderberry, but it doesn't have big clumps of berries-- they seem to be singletons.
It looks very much like a hackberry (Papito's suggestion), but I haven't found an exact match yet. Not Chinese, Japanese, or common American.
And to you cherry suggestors, again, it look similar. When I first started looking, I thought it was a Catalina Cherry, but I think the fruit on my tree is smaller. So I'm stumped again.

Further info on the tree:
It is a tall, skinny tree- not very "bushy".
It doesn't have large, noticeable flowers. It has tiny, unobtrusive ones.
And the actual berries/fruits are about the same size as a raisin.

1k Posts
1k Posts

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
That's it, RugbyHukr! Thank you! The stuff I read said it was poisonous, so now we're going to have to think baout taking it down.

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Rugby to the RESCUE AGAIN!!! flwr clap thumbup
He's got a great eye!!!
Thanks Rugby!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image