Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15226 Apr 5th, 2007 at 02:40 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket while working in the yard..........
BEE STINGS !

A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to get stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden.

My arm swelled up so off to the doctor I went. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse so off to my regular doctor I went. Infected arm needed an antibiotic. What was interesting is what the Dr. told me. The next time you get stung put a penny on the sting for 15 minutes. I thought, wow next time (if there ever is one) I will try it.

Well that night Shelley's niece got stung by two bees. When she came over to swim I looked at the sting and it had already started to swell. So off I went to get my money. Taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a sting. Wow were we surprised. Her niece, we decided, just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Well guess what happened again on Saturday night. I was helping Shelley deadhead her flowers and guess what? You are right I got stung again two times by a hornet on my left hand. Was I ticked. I thought, here I go again having to go to the doctor for yet another antibiotic.

Well I promptly went into the house, again got my money out, and taped two pennies to my stings and then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the pain out of the sting immediately. I still wasn't sure what was going to happen.

In the meantime the hornets were attacking Shelley and she got stung on the thumb. Again the penny. The next morning I could only see the spot where he had stung me. No redness, no swelling. Went over to see Shelley and hers was the same. Couldn't even tell where she got stung. Then Shelley got stung again on Monday night on her back---cutting the grass. This penny thing is going to make us money at school. Again it worked.

Just wanted to share the marvelous information in case any of you are experiencing the same problem at home. We need to have a stock of pennies on hand at school and at home.

The Dr. said somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the sting. I would have never believed it, but it definitely does work!

So remember this little bit of wisdom and pass it on to your friends, children, grandchildren, etc.

A friend sent this to me and I thought I would share it with all of you. This is my first time at the new site. Hope I posted this in the right place. Just trying to find my way around. WOW Hugs, Sue

[Linked Image]

What goes around comes around, so be nice! lol
Squirrel #15251 Apr 5th, 2007 at 03:06 PM
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Hope that person either finds a way to control all of those bees and hornets or needs to invest in a bee keepers' suit for her and anyone who visits!!!

Interesting about the penny.

[Linked Image]
hisgal2 #15254 Apr 5th, 2007 at 03:17 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Cool info. Thanks for sharing it.
And welcome!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #15287 Apr 5th, 2007 at 03:57 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Thanks for the info! I am allergic to buzzy-things that sting, so I can't wait to try it. I haven't been stung in years though. Although, this year, I've got a lot of flowers going into my garden, to help increase pollination via bees. So, I just may be needing a penny! Thanks,
Sarah

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #15605 Apr 6th, 2007 at 07:24 AM
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Pretty cool about the penny! You must have a LOT of bees in that area!

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
#15902 Apr 6th, 2007 at 12:19 PM
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
I have never heard of the penny either..
But will remember it..

My neighbor came over one day when my first was
about 3 and got stung, she said to put some
AMONIA on it.. I had an old bottle of PARSON'S AMONIA
and took a cotton ball and put it on.
Took the stinging out and the itch...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
weezie13 #15930 Apr 6th, 2007 at 01:22 PM
mrw Offline
Got the same email a few days ago. Hope I don' t need to try it but will keep a penny handy, just in case!

wildwoman
mrw #17090 Apr 8th, 2007 at 03:12 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
You know I've been thinking about this penny thing. If it's the copper that is supposed to help, I don't think the US uses that much copper in the making of pennies anymore???? Maybe it's just enough. I'm going to keep one handy. LOL Sue

[Linked Image]

What goes around comes around, so be nice! lol
Squirrel #17199 Apr 8th, 2007 at 07:33 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
sue, us penny's after sometime in the 70's (i don't remember when) are zinc filled with copper shells.

#28768 Apr 22nd, 2007 at 07:40 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thanks for letting us know it really works!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image