Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#161602 Dec 16th, 2007 at 07:37 PM
Erinne Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to be flying "home" to Iowa from Portland, OR in a couple days. My mom's got some spectacular plants that I'm sure would grow well for cuttings. My questions are: Will airlines let you take cuttings, or does that violate some laws about state boundaries? How should I pack them if I can take them?

Thanks a bunch,

ERN

Peace and Soybeans,

ERN
Erinne #161622 Dec 16th, 2007 at 08:20 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Erinne, the only states I am sure of that do not allow plant transport are Arizona and California there may be others.

What I do is I take cuttings as close to my departure as possible. I wrap my cuttings in moist paper towels put them in a zip lock bag and put them in between my cloths in my checked luggage. I never put them in my carry-on.

Last edited by cinta; Dec 16th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Erinne #162362 Dec 19th, 2007 at 09:52 AM
I just brought a bunch of cuttings home in my carry on luggage two weeks ago. I live in Canada but I don't think the laws about carry ons are that much different.

I did the same as decribed above with wrapping the cuttings in moist paper towel and putting in a large ziploc bag. I even had 30 degrees below freezing C. temperatures to deal with and so I kept them in an ice chest on the way to the airport. They were still nice and healthy looking when I arrived home 2 days later. Before I put them in dirt I recut them to get rid of any part of the stem that was a little dried out.

good luck

karenenns #162447 Dec 19th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
karen, I do not know about the laws from US to Canada but I know we have some really crazy security people in the US.

Some like to flex their muscle even if there is nothing that says you cannot carry something they will still take it. I had one take my ink pen. It was a flashlight/ink pen. I just pack everything and only carry my computer and phone and files I am working on. Sometimes I forget a paperclip or two and they have stopped me for that. After 9/11 it has gotten so stupid. I cannot wait to retire and never get on a plane again.

It is so bad some people have started shipping their stuff ahead.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Erinne #162967 Dec 21st, 2007 at 06:19 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I do the same as Cinta,, I always put mine in the Checkin bags,, and use newspaper when I can to wrap them in,, as it will help insulate them and cushion stem cuttings ,, make sure they are the very last thing you put in the bag before you get out of the car,, that way they get +o2 as long as possible,, thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image