Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167574 Jan 3rd, 2008 at 06:02 PM
OP Offline
we have a huge yard with a field attacjed at the back yard and all over the place are these tall weeds that v off at the end and on that v are little soft black . . . seeds? i guess
i hate going in my yard if i am dressed up nice cause then i am battleing theses things
it is starting to drive my hubby crazy cause he cant get rid of them and they are only in our yard area
once you hit the field its that tall dry wheat looking grass that people use in decor
if you have any suggestions we both would greatly appreciate it
thanx

Stand upon the promises of God!!
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Are these weeds in your lawn? In garden areas? Are they a 'grassy- type" plant? Or do they have a leaf like structure?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #167585 Jan 3rd, 2008 at 06:19 PM
OP Offline
its in my lawn and they are grassy but no leaves

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ah, that is tough. If you had broad-leaved weeds they are much easier to get out of a lawn. But grassy weeds out of grass is much harder. I'm thinking hand pulling is going to be the only option. But maybe your county extension can help. I don't recognize the weed you describe.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #167708 Jan 3rd, 2008 at 09:04 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
are you sure they are weeds? they sound like pensacola bahaya grass. if so, the black things are seeds, and the way to stop them is just to mow more often. it's a common grass grown in the south. where in alabama are you? if you are south of montgomery, i'd almost bet that's what it is. it might be spelled pensacola bahaia. i'm not sure.

#168060 Jan 4th, 2008 at 09:22 PM
OP Offline
yes i am south of montgomery

OP Offline
MY HUBS BOUGHT ME AN ORTHO PROBLEM SOLVER BOOK (ITS HEAVY N BIG)
N ACOORDING TO THAT THEM TOSSEL THINGYS ARE CRABGRASS
WE HAVE GOTTEN RID OF THEM IN THE FRONT, BACK, SIDE YARD BUT THEY TEND TO STILL GROW BY THE DOORSTEPS N CORNERS OF THE HOUSE.
BUT ACCORDING TO THAT BOOK THEY GROW WHERE GRASS IN NOT MAINTAINED N WELL KEPT
SO I GUESS THAT LETS EVERYONE KNOW::

*WE DID A LOWSY JOB ON OUR YARD LAST YEAR!!*
LOL

THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
There are many products on the market that will get prevent crabgrass from germinating if that is your problem. However I am not too sure that it is. the seeds for crabgrass are very small and not really noticeable. The other reason is that crabgrass usually grows flat to the ground until it goes to seed, then develops the taller seed spike. Even then it usually only gets to less then a foot to 14 inches tall. But I live in a northern climate so your crabgrass may be of a different variety then I am used to. If you could take a picture of the plant, and post it, it would be very helpful in helping you with your problem. If it is indeed crabgrass any crabgrass preventer for your lawn should work, but it needs to be put down before the plants emerge in the spring.

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image