Rate Thread
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hello,

do any of you all know of any good places where i can find good quality but affordable fabric? (getting things together for when i get my sewing machine, yay me)

- scott

(the question asking kid that never stops), lol

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I wish I did. The town I used to live in has a fabric store that is fantastic. I would get fabric there for $5 yard that would have probably been close to $20 a yard anywhere else. I went looking for fabric where I live now and was terribly disappointed. It would cost me a fortune to make anything now.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
oh, sorry man thats cheap i would like to have a place like that near here the places i went today the small fabric boutiques i thought were outrageous.

toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
even though i know nothing bout buying fabric still i kinda thought it couldnt be that expensive but like i said i know nothing

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I get most of my fabrics at Wal-mart~you'd be surprised at what they have.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
There are not many places left anymore. the wal-marts here are phazing the material out but there are a few that still carry some. The 1 or 2 actaul fabric stores are about 45 minutes away from me and not easy for me to get to.

And like you say expensive--why would I pay more for the cloth than I would for the whole piece of clothes?? Silly

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
That's strange about Wal-mart, I remember someone mentioning that before. Here the Wal-mart has just as nice of a selection as the fancy places. You can even buy taffeda and lace for fancy dresses there.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I just looked at Hancock Fabrics website. They have ok prices. Their website is a mess to get through.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
ok ill check that out thanks

Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
The only place we have anywhere around me is JoAnn fabrics. I haven't bought much material and I had gone for the sale stuff but even without being on sale the most expensive fabric I bought was 5.99 a yard. I'm brand new to sewing and haven't really looked at much fabric yet but thanks for warning me that some of it can be expensive.

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
We have a Joann's here. I was looking for fabric for our bedroom drapes. I needed 10 yards and the only thing I could find in there was almost $20 a yard. If you need smaller amounts of fabric you can find good deals, though. They usually have a ton of clearance fabrics and a lot of them are very nice. You are just limited to how much of them is available. I found a couple on the clearance rack that were $4 a yard but there was only 4 or 5 yards left on the bolt. I love making drapes. I think they are crazy expensive to buy. I hate spending $200 a window to buy drapes when I can make them $100.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
wow where on earth did u buy your drapes. they should be shot for that much their chrging, jcpenny you need to look out because alot of time they will have discounts and clearence sales with them 50% off whihc is a good deal we done our entire house for about 300-400$ i think whihc is a really good deal considering how many windows we have and their nice and heavy fabric too

Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I usually do get the drapes I buy at J C Penney's. You're right, they do have fantastic sales. The drapes I had at the last house would have been almost $400. I got them at Penney's on sale and just paid a little over $100 for them. What usually gets me into big bucks on the drapes is layering. I like to put sheers behind the heavy front drapes and layer with a scarf. Scarves are sickingly expensive. The only way I buy them is at Penney's when they have one of their 50% off or buy one get one for a penney sales.

I will give you a little advice about sewing. When you start, get some really cheap material just to practice with. Then, start out making some more simple things like throw pillows. I had never sewn before then I got the sewing machine for my birthday. I love it now. I've made tons of pillows and drapes. But I wouldn't even attempt clothes. They seem like they would be very difficult. Just start small and work up to the bigger stuff so you don't get frustrated.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Walmart has a great selection of fabrics......I go there often.

We also have a fabric store, which is not too swift.. I forgot the name,..

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
The Walmart here doesn't have much of a selection. I think it's just a few that carry a lot of fabric any more. They do have some nice stuff if you can find one that still carries it. The only difference between Walmart and fabric stores is usually the width of the fabric.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There is one W-mart around here that still carries fabric. The others dropped their fabric and craft section altogether. Our Joanne's closed. Another favorite of mine closed a year or so ago. I am having a hard time finding fabric around here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
well yea imm going to start of practicing on on fabric and cheap stuff thats for certain! well my walmart the closest one which is like 5 minutes from my house i thin maybe 8 doesnt have a lot of fabric but there are 2 more walmarts in this area that i havent been to so i will have to go look at them this weekend, we do have a micheals but i didnt see any fabric there...

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Joannes is still alive an well in our area.
Maybe you can order it online.. There are dozens of fabric places on here..

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
is this their website : http://www.joann.com/joann/ ?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
yes.................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
I wish there was a cheap mailing choice. I have so much fabric I could send you. When I sewed I would buy fabric when it was on sale. Then I did not want to sew anymore and I have all this fabric.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
aww well thank you thats such a nice gesture, ill be fine i love to shop anyways so it will be fun finding things! , dodge i will probably be ordering my machine tomorrow i found it on overstock its really nice 59 stiches with alot of extras, 84$ and the shipping is only 2.97$ then if i get it before i go to my grandmas i can take it with me i think she used to sew idk... but i think it will be a good bonding thing for us to do when we get all of our gardening done. shes been needing my help she has some type of cactus that grows really tall and is mutiplieing everywhere so imma gonna take some off of her hands ill take a pic of them because i have no clue what they r called... and imma raid her garden for a few other plants that have mutipled sooo yeppp just call me Yard raider, lol. fun....

And i know cinta postage is getting really high i bet in a couple years people wont even be writing letters anymore i love to write by hand and send letters to my family all over but ive cut way back... and arent they talking bout rasing the postage up some more....??

toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
oh and btw cinta i love your roses i took a peek at your phtos they look so gorgeous!

500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by toposh
oh and btw cinta i love your roses i took a peek at your phtos they look so gorgeous!

Thank you. I love plants. I think I want to grow every plant on the planet at least once.

I think people have already stopped writting letters. I pay all my bills online after I mailed my bill a couple of years ago and got it back all ripped up by the post office and a late charge on my electric bill. The PO did not even give me a stamp just a plastic envelope explaining that it had gotten torn up in their stamp machine. Sorry...buy a stamp and try again. why

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts

lol i didnt get the memo people always leave meout, lol. Yea im sure most er one has lol. but a few years abck i bought a whole lota stationary really great price and i still havnt used it all up but im getting it down. i know the post offices are terrible! madd my great grandma sent us our silver baby spoons shed came across them she sent them to us in the mail in a box package the post office riped it open and took the spoons and they wrote us a letter saying something like we thought that it had something bad in the box or somthing like that in a letter and we never got them....

then my great grandma was sending my sister birthday money it was like 50$ she never recieved it either the post lost it or someone took it. so now when she sends money she wraps it in foil idk what that does but i think its funny why

and good for you i wouldnt have the will power to plant everyplant i only stick to a few choices and their mostly perenials i love perenials

toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
and wow i bet you were mad i wouldve taken that plastic envelope and said well screw you and shove it, sorry for my lingo

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
What types do you have ?
Show me photos of it.
Perhaps I can pay postage ?

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by toposh
aww well thank you thats such a nice gesture, ill be fine i love to shop anyways so it will be fun finding things! , dodge i will probably be ordering my machine tomorrow i found it on overstock its really nice 59 stiches with alot of extras, 84$ and the shipping is only 2.97$ then if i get it before i go to my grandmas i can take it with me i think she used to sew idk... but i think it will be a good bonding thing for us to do when we get all of our gardening done. shes been needing my help she has some type of cactus that grows really tall and is mutiplieing everywhere so imma gonna take some off of her hands ill take a pic of them because i have no clue what they r called... and imma raid her garden for a few other plants that have mutipled sooo yeppp just call me Yard raider, lol. fun....

And i know cinta postage is getting really high i bet in a couple years people wont even be writing letters anymore i love to write by hand and send letters to my family all over but ive cut way back... and arent they talking bout rasing the postage up some more....??

I am pro garden raider myself......
I always offered a Hospital for throw away plants, and have reaped many rewards.
Fowers are fun and I am proud of you there.......Keep up the good work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,910
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image