Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170514 Jan 11th, 2008 at 02:36 PM
OP Offline
I have had my peace lily for about 5-6 years. It is still beautiful and looks nice and healthy, but it no longer blooms. Any advice on how to get it to start blooming again? It used to bloom 3-4 flowers every time I turned around. Help!!!

colieq75 #170535 Jan 11th, 2008 at 04:00 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
IT may need more light, though it is a good shade houseplant

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #170831 Jan 12th, 2008 at 03:25 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Introduction
The peace lily is grown for its bold, shiny green foliage in stemless crowns. Although the leaves are the main attraction, they are complemented by white flower stalks. Unlike many houseplants, peace lilies do not require a winter rest and need consistent care throughout the year.

Instructions
Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Steps
[b]1Step
One[/b] Keep away from direct sunlight. Direct sun burns the leaves of the peace lily. Filtering the sun with a transparent curtain is acceptable, but the peace lily will grow best in the medium to low light of a north or west window.

[b]2Step Two[/b] Watch for browning leaves. Leaves will brown if the peace lily is not getting enough humidity. Humidify the plant by misting the leaves with soft water and keeping the plant on a tray of pebbles. Misting also washes away red spider mites, which commonly infest peace lilies.

3Step Three Let the plant dry in between waterings. The plant will wilt if it needs water. When this happens, water as soon as possible and the plant will not be harmed. Note how long after a watering the leaves wilt, and water one day before wilting starts.

[b]4Step Four[/b] Repot the peace lily every spring into the next size pot until the plant is in an 8- to 10-inch pot. The roots of a lily will fill their pot in 1 year, but do not usually require a pot larger than 10 inches.

5Step Five Look for tiny spider webs on the plant, which is a sign of red spider mites. Remove the leaves they are growing on and treat the plant with pesticide or a solution of mildly soapy water.

6Step Six Use caution with chemical fertilizer. Peace lilies will benefit from a fertilizer mix of 20-20-20, but too much, especially when applied to dry soil, will damage the roots. Fertilize the peace lily only in the spring and summer with a half or three-quarter dose. Also, always fertilize when the soil is moist.

Tips & Warnings
Give a peace lily in bloom as a sympathy gift; the white flower symbolizes sympathy.
Use organic fertilizer instead of chemical fertilizer on a peace lily. Organic fertilizer is less damaging to the roots.

I hope this information helps you with your lily--perhpas it needs repotting???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #171471 Jan 13th, 2008 at 06:38 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Once upon a time I had a peace lily.........
It did the same caper.. Bloomed a few years and quit.
It bit the dust.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image