Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#164858 Dec 29th, 2007 at 01:21 PM
OP Offline
I have a pair of blue birds in a tree in my backyard. They are lovely to watch. I think they may have a nest in this tree.

What can I do to keep them their? Should I put out feed for them? What kind of feed do they like?

Just to think that this is the tree that the company where we bought our new house wanted us to tear down. I am so thankful I stood my ground and refused to do it.

Thanks, Carla

Carla
Zone 6a
CarlaH0318 #164911 Dec 29th, 2007 at 05:00 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I know they like mealworms....

Good for you on standing your ground with the tree.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #165028 Dec 29th, 2007 at 06:46 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by tamara
...Good for you on standing your ground with the tree.
thumbup i second that.

#165043 Dec 29th, 2007 at 07:08 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Eastern bluebirds like mealworm feeders I understand. They are cavity nesters so do NOT build their nests on the branches of a tree but build their nests in a hollow cavity like a hollow tree, hollow fence post, or a man-made nest box. To encourage them nesting, check your local wild bird store or wild bird section of a department store for a bluebird nesting box.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #165430 Dec 30th, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
bop clap bop

Hooray for carla.......
from one tree lover to another......

Send a blue bird photo,..

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #166578 Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:33 PM
CarlaH0318, go get a bag of raw unsalted peanuts in the shell. Get as close as you can without scaring them, and toss one toward them. Stand quietly and wait to see if one takes it. If they do, you're set, just offer peanuts to them regularly and they're your birds forever. If not, keep trying, and leave a couple of nuts out every morning where you think they'll see them.

The blue jays in my area figured it out really really fast, and now I can't get rid of them. It was really fun to watch my son sit still with a peanut on his knee until a blue jay finally got brave enough to land on his leg just long enough to grab it and fly off, but it gets a bit old to walk outside to go to work in a hurry and find myself surrounded by a dozen hungry blue jays and half a dozen begging squirrels. I don't feed them very often any more. Are your blue birds Blue Jays? There are photos of mine here so you can compare: http://butterflies.heuristron.net/others/bluejay.html
Hummm... I haven't looked at those in a while, and I have one more day of vacation and a newer camera. I think I'll be feeding the birds in the morning to see if I can get a better photo (I'll tell them to wish you a thank you lol), but those should be good enough to tell if we have the same kind of bird.

sososleepy #166592 Jan 1st, 2008 at 05:54 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tapfoot

Must be real close ......Great photos there .

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #166611 Jan 1st, 2008 at 06:44 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
sososleepy, i think they are different birds than the jays. jays are agressive little things sometimes.

#166619 Jan 1st, 2008 at 06:53 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #166659 Jan 1st, 2008 at 07:32 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Here's the difference!

Blue JAY
[Linked Image]

Eats nuts. Likes Oak Trees, Pines, Woods,and Forests

bluebird!
[Linked Image]

Eats insects. Occasionally seeds or berries in Winter. Nests in cavities in trees, fence posts, or in man-made nest boxes. Likes open grassy fields with lines and/or small patches of trees. Shuns Forests and woods. If you wanna find bluebirds, think Golf Courses and horse pastures.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #166666 Jan 1st, 2008 at 07:34 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
nono

i WANNA think spring thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sososleepy #171041 Jan 12th, 2008 at 05:27 PM
Blue Jays also like dried cat food!!

CelticJan #171443 Jan 13th, 2008 at 05:39 PM
Hi everyone,

About attracting Eastern bluebirds. I put up a nestingbox 6 feet up and facing the open yard. I did manage to attract a pair of treeswallows that raised their young.
[Linked Image]

It was so much fun to watch but I would still like to try and get some bluebirds. I have a feeder about 20 yards away that attracts cardinals, morning doves, bluejays, chickadees, titmouses, ect... have never seen a bluebird. I live in a small town with alot of woods around it.

Any suggestions on how to attract them?

Kathy
Half the interest of a garden is the constant exercise of the imagination.
SunshineSeeker #171449 Jan 13th, 2008 at 06:09 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sunshineseeker,

Swell photo there ....I am from western Penna......
Ole Thorn will probably answer that question......He is the bird pro on here.
I am just starting on birds.

Wow love to see a photo of the red cardinals..........My pride and joys.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #171476 Jan 13th, 2008 at 06:46 PM
Hi Dodge,

Sorry, I currently don't have any pictures of the cardinals. This treeswallow mom was VERY cooperative with my picture taking. I currently only have a little point and shoot. I was only 6-8 ft away from her. When I try to get close enough to take pictures of the others they take off. To fix the problem I just ordered a Rebel Xti and lens. I'm hoping I'll get some nice pictures with it. If it works out in the yard I'll order a larger lens to use when I'm out and about. When I do get some of them I'll post them to you. Until then here's one of a butterfly....I think I saw you on another thread about them. Take care.
bow
[Linked Image]

Kathy
SunshineSeeker #171483 Jan 13th, 2008 at 06:54 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Thats real nice .........I have to look up the rebelxt1 ..
I cant get close to birds either. You had an excellent shot of that one.. Butterfly too..........

My newest is the canon

my older one is the Fujifilm......I love the camera for closeup but I got the Canon for zooming........Well maybe you can show us new tricks on photos and birds.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #171506 Jan 13th, 2008 at 07:14 PM
I'll be an absolute newbie with the camera. I read a bunch of reviews and picked the one the I thought would suit me the best. It has all the "dummie' buttons but I would also like to learn how to actually do the settings myself manually and try different effects. The nice thing about digital is you see the pictures right away and can just erase them if their bad and keep trying.

Kathy
SunshineSeeker #171546 Jan 13th, 2008 at 07:56 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
You got that correct....
Upload them , admire them and keep only what you choose.
It is so fun showing the stuff online in a matter of minutes......Our flowers and everything under the sun.

Yes you can change the colors of photos and much more.. ISO so it doesnt shake too much .

Lots to learn.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #171666 Jan 13th, 2008 at 10:54 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
bluebirds like nest boxes in fence rows at the edge of grassy fields. They need to be about 5 feet above the ground and at leat 300 feet from any other nest boxes and human dwellings. Think horse pastures or golf courses and you will have an idea of the PERFECT habitat that bluebirds prefer. There are several large fields within a mile of my house that are ideal bluebird habitat and ARE full of bluebirds, thanks to the 40 bluebird nest boxes I built and put up about ten years ago. I had a bluebird in my yard yesterday. there are a couple of pairs that live and nest about 200 yards from my house. They probably WON'T nest in your yard but sometimes do. I have had them nest ibn the yard of one house I lived in, but it was a very large grassy yard and the box was fairly isolated. I've never had Tree Swallows nest in my boxes but I see quite a few near my house so they are around. The important thing to remember is that you need to have THREE things to attract any and all birds in your area to your yard. These are, food, water, and shelter. If you have these three things in the proper types and amounts, the birds WILL come.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #174716 Jan 23rd, 2008 at 09:28 AM
I haven't seen Carla post again... Carla, do you have the beautiful blue bird that Thornius posted? Wow, I wish I had those!

Thanks Dodge, yes, as Jiffymouse said, my bluejays got very demanding once they figured out that I provide the peanuts, and they are not at all shy about hopping up right next to me and making all sorts of noises to let me know they want some. I've mostly stopped feeding them because they're such a pain to get past when I'm in a hurry to leave, but I still like them.

sososleepy #174818 Jan 23rd, 2008 at 01:41 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image