Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#172047 Jan 15th, 2008 at 06:46 AM
Jnet Offline OP
OP Offline
My beautiful palm tree has recently taken a turn for the worse. All the leaves started to yellow and droop. Many have died. I water once a week with some miracle grow and this has worked well since I got it over a year ago. The best I could figure is that it was due to a cold draft, lack of sunlight, and a lack of humidity. So I've made sure to turn on my cool mist humidifier every day and open the curtain early enough so the poor thing can get enough light. I also move it into my bedroom at night so that it doesn't catch a draft when my bf opens the window.
I had definitely started to see an improvement. But now one of the shoots seems to have rotted and fell over. I had to cut it off and have tried to replant it in the same pot next to the tree. It was all juicy and browning.
This plant had been growing beautifully and healthy until just a couple weeks ago. Now the poor thing is next to dead. The soil is still moist so I've skipped watering. I also have some tropical fertilizer to use for the next time I water it.
I love this plant and would be devastated if it died. Please help me save my poor, sweet palm.

Jnet #172049 Jan 15th, 2008 at 07:15 AM
Ours started to do that, and when my iguana moved into the house, we had an extra basking lamp/light. So we set it up and turned it on when we were in the house/around(it is a fire hazard if you are not there), and in no time Dude(what we named the tree) grew three new fronds! It was amazing. You can get a dome light probably at wal-mart, and the special UVB basking bulb at any good pet store.

It not only provides uvb, which plants need, it will also provide heat to defend against the cold snap!

Good luck!

Jnet Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. I'll definitely try that. I've been opening the curtains and it seems to have helped, but with the winter overcast I doubt it's getting as much UV as it could. Last year we had a lot of sunlight for most of the winter.

Does anyone know if the replanted frond will grow?

Jnet #174186 Jan 21st, 2008 at 11:30 AM
Jnet Offline OP
OP Offline
Now the other two fronds are rotting!!!! I really don't know what is wrong with this plant.

Jnet #174514 Jan 22nd, 2008 at 05:03 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
try holding off on some of the water some potting soil holds water very well make sure that it is draining properly... Try and check for root rot if it looks like it is rotting try repotting it only water it when the soil is dry take a pencil with the sharpened end and stick it in the soil if it comes out black and wet looking you dont need to water.. And water at the base of the plant u might have a mildew problem on the leaves if their turning yellow and getting spots but like Saphrin218 said put it under a light even a florecent one might work, don't try incadescnet.

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image