Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello,

I am new here, I live in florida in zone 9 and I have a area in my backyard that we recently cleared out we live in a n area with a bunch of wild trees and bushes and we have really poor sandy soil and there is some kind of wild bush that would be to hard to take out and takes most of the nurtients from the soil.

I want to build an arbor and put a vineing plant that produces flowers in the area, but I have no clue of any kind of flowering vine that can stand poor soil. would a clematis or morning glory grow????

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

-Arlene

First I must work hard then play.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hello Arlene and welcome to the GardenHelper wavy

Can you admend the soil with a compost/ humus mix? The clematis like to have their feet cool , I have a low growing salvia in front of mine to shade their roots, Is the area Full sun morning or afternoon ?? Morning glories will work also But It's probably better to add a good compost enriched soil to the more sandy areas to insure vigorous growth,, :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
morning glory will grow. where in florida are you? my answer to the rest of the question is compost, compost, compost. sandy florida soil can be ammended to be usable. been there and done that lol

OP Offline
We are in placid lakes florida right next to lake placid, I have trend amending the soil but those bushes take all the nutrients and everything from it i have tried putting lime down and what not but i will try compost again, thanks for your help though, appreciate it!

-Arlene

OP Offline
angelblossom, it is in a shady area right now a big pine tree is growing in the middle but we are going to cut it down so then it wll have partial sun because the bushes in the back will block some of it....

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, with the pine tree there, you won't be able to grow anything. but search this site for "lasagna composting" or lasagna method. that will work for you. but it takes a while.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The pine tree is probably what is taking up all the nutrients. They are very hard to garden under or near.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
ok thank you all again im having someone come over on sunday to cut down the tree abut we are not pulling up the roots do you think that that will make any difference or do we need to pull up the roots, its a pretty fair saized tree

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it will immediately get better. if you don't want to pay a stump grinder, just have them cut the stump either high enough for you to use as a platform or flush with the ground so you don't trip on it. pulling up a pine tree root isn't as easy as it sounds because in addition to the surface spread roots, they have a tap root that is usually at least 2/3 the length of the height of the tree.

OP Offline
oh, wow i did not know that, thank you. I will just make them make it flush with the ground.

thank you, Jiffy!

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:ding:

I am thinking maybe Browneyed daisy vines...........I used them up here last summer and heat didnt effect them.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
forget the plant fix the soil. Of course sand is awful, but either add some garden dirt (expensive, or at least not cheap) or just add straw. It will break down and really help you out.

Enjoy the sunshine!

Sue

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,887
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image