Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#176017 Jan 27th, 2008 at 12:05 PM
Reinonu Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's another one that I inherited. I think it's some form of a bromeliad, but it is not clear which one. It also needs a bit of work to remove the brown bits.
It's about 3 ft in height. I thought about cutting the long portion because it's really brown... but I couldn't bring myself to cut the plant.

[Linked Image]

This one seems like a tree of some sort. I think it's an Araucaria, but that's because the plant book I have only has one kind of pine, Araucaria Heterophylla, which obviously looks fairly similar. So I guess I'll have to say it's at least some sort of pine. My wife think it's ugly but I'm not convinced.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Reinonu #176026 Jan 27th, 2008 at 12:51 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
dang it I have your first plant and the name escapes me touched I know it doesn't require a lot of light,, too much light will brown(burn) it, and too much water will turn the tips brown, Yours is awesome!! I don't think I've ever seen one that tall!! Congrats on that one!!

The other one I believe is norfork pine http://www.thegardenhelper.com/norfolk.html

okay I believe the first one is Janet Craig dracaena,, The brown spots on it may come from using tap water which has floride in it and too much flouride can cause brown spots also,, use distilled water instead,

you said you thought it was from the bromalaid family but mine looks like it and the label on my pot says Janet Craig Dracaena, why

Last edited by angelblossom; Jan 27th, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: had to go look at my plant again!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #176046 Jan 27th, 2008 at 02:32 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it's a janet craig dracaena. i've seen them about half that size. beautiful plant. and diane is right about the norfolk island pine too, which isn't a pine at all by the way, it is just called that.

#176058 Jan 27th, 2008 at 04:03 PM
Reinonu Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the input.

But I'm still confused. I also have a 7 foot tree, dacaena, which I thought was dermensis (Janet Craig), see pics below. The leaves are 1.5 ft long or so. It has been great purchase from Ikea. I'm just now learning the importance of misting. However, the above plant I posted doesn't seem like the same. I know there is this whole Ti tree thing that come from old Dacaena, but the "little" guy above only has 3-4 inch leaves so I have a hard time seeing them in the same family. hhhmmm...

Are they really the same?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Reinonu #176069 Jan 27th, 2008 at 04:58 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
They could be the same, when dracenea grows, the bottom leaves will fall off and leaves will grow from the center on top, that's why the stem has the patterns and lines

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Reinonu #176071 Jan 27th, 2008 at 04:58 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
the ti tree also a variety of dracaena is also know as a corn plant when it isn't allowed to become wooded. they are cousins. the top one is a janet craig, or something close, the ti tree is just that, and if you google dracaena marginata aka dragon tree you will see one that doesn't look like either of the two.

i'd have to say that dracaenas are among my favorite families of plants for ease of care.

#176083 Jan 27th, 2008 at 05:30 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yep there so soooooooooooo many varieties of dracaenas,, there is also a compact janet craig,, I saw your tree a while ago in the net,, I'll have to go back and look again,, notme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #179492 Feb 6th, 2008 at 08:09 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
the woody one is Dracaena fragrans other is Dracaena Compacta

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #185939 Feb 25th, 2008 at 01:20 PM
I am new to this forum. My question is I have three plants and the only names I have for it are:
creeping phlox/lavandola and the other is aldershot and the last one is purple Queen. I have tried to look them up in the many books I have and can't find them. I have also tried to reseach on the internet and can't find them. I'm sure there are different names for them but I'm at a loss. I live in Texas and it gets very hot here so I need to know how much water& sun they need and ect. I am one who never gives up on a plant unless there is no hope for it. They are doing well so far. Any suggestions? thanks gmom

gmom #185960 Feb 25th, 2008 at 02:26 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
gmom can you post pictures IT may help us i.d. them faster! thumbup :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #186726 Feb 28th, 2008 at 06:39 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Creeping Phlox is
P. stolonifera

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,894
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image