Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#178301 Feb 3rd, 2008 at 12:45 PM
Reinonu Offline OP
OP Offline
I have an old ponytail plant, beaucarnea, that I inherited. Now this stands a good four feet tall. It sits in a pot not too much bigger than the huge bulb at the bottom. In addition there is no drain in the bottom of the pot. Generally I've only seen these plants in pots just bigger than the buld they grow out of. I'm not sure about the lack of drainage and hence the watering protocol. I would like repot it in something that drains, but probably not too much bigger.
If anyone has any input on how to really keep this guy happy please let me know.
It's one of my favorite plants and I really want to keep it going!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Reinonu #178512 Feb 3rd, 2008 at 06:29 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's doing well - even though it's in a pot with no drainage!

they definitely need something that has drain holes - so repotting it is a good idea. you can keep it in the same size container - it'll be fine.

until you do repot it, be careful to not overwater it. would be a shame to lose such a lovely specimen!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #178569 Feb 3rd, 2008 at 08:41 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i agree that you have a beautiful plant and should just move it to a pot with drainage. then, it is care as usual. however, even without drainage, you seem to be monitoring it well.

#178656 Feb 4th, 2008 at 06:50 AM
Reinonu Offline OP
OP Offline
No, no, this plant has not been cared for by me except for the last 2 months. My aunt had a wicked good green thumb. Amazing that woman was. I'm just trying to get my white thumb green! I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I know the plants are beautiful and I just don't want them to die!!

Reinonu #178708 Feb 4th, 2008 at 12:03 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WOW I'm impressed - I've never seen a ponytail palm so big!!!
I had a really nice one, but our first cat decided it made a great snack - she ate it down to the bulb!

Last year, I bought 2 really nice small ones at Ikea, and put them in hanging post - so far so good. They are both in western facing windows and only get the end of the day sun for now.

Good luck with yours - it's a beauty!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Be careful watering it!IT holds water in it's "trunk" I've had one for over 20 years,, Your is Beautiful, .. They like being rootbound,, When you transplant it try to keep most of the same soil with it and only go up 2-3 inches bigger in diameter and height! Even in the summer don't over water,,. I use 1/2 cactus soil and half potting soil and I use horticulture charcoal in the bottom of the pot,, You aunt may have pea gravel or something else at the bottom to use as drainage,
You sure have inherited some awesome plant!!!!!!!!!! clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image