Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
My son has bought me a blender, and I would love to experiment making up some unusual tasty soups. Any suggestions?

[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i don't use my blender for soup. i start all my soups with a meat stock by boiling the meat in question (doesn't matter what the meat is) until it is tender and falling off the bone. usually i add onion, salt, pepper, and depending on the meat, garlic and/or soy sauce. other seasonings as appropriate to the meat. then, i add what ever is going to be the longest cooking veggie, carots first, potatoes second, corn, peas, beans, etc.

then, if it is cream soup, i thicken with flour and add the milk/cream. if it is broth soup, i leave it be. if it is noodle soup, i skip the veggies and cook the noodles.

i love soup!

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
You could make a pea soup, i dont havea recipe, or you can make a acron squash soup i think or mabye its butternut, idk

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Acorn Squash Soup

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

2 Acorn Squash, cut in half, seeded, and cooked 4 cups vegetable stock
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 1 1/4 cups half & half
1/4 cup light brown sugar 1/2 cup croutons
1/2 tsp all spice 1/2 tsp ground cloves
salt and pepper to taste
Scrape all pulp from squash and discard shell. Combine with stock in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 30 minutes, or until mixture is reduced to about 3 cups. Remove from heat. Transfer squash mixture to a blender or food processor. Add remaining ingredients, except croutons. Season with salt and pepper to taste and purée. Return to saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through. Do not boil. Serve with croutons.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Chilled Fruit Soup

Makes 6 servings

1/2 cup Apricots, dried 1/4 cup Black Raisins, seedless
1/4 cup Golden raisins 2 cups Water
1 Cinnamon stick 4 cups Apple juice
2 cups mixed fruit, sliced

Place dried fruit in a saucepan with water, cinnamon and simmer 1/2 hour or until soft. Puree half the mixture. Return to suacepan; add apple juice and reheat. Add mixed fruit. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until all fruits are soft. Can be served hot or cold.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup

Makes 4 servings
1 1/2 lbs Plum tomatoes
5 Tbsp Olive oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp Dried basil, crumbled
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1/2 cup Onion finely chopped
1 cup Chicken broth
1/4 cup Dry red wine vinegar
3/4 cup Heavy cream
1/2 cup Tomato paste
Sugar to taste, if needed
2 Tbsp Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and lay them cut sides down in a jelly-roll pan. Brush generously with 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with garlic, oregano, basil, and pepper. Roast tomatoes until their edges are charred, about 15 to 20 minutes. Scrape tomatoes, oil, and herbs from pan into food processor. Process until not quite smooth (leaving small chunks and charred black specks).
In a saucepan cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until translucent. Whisk in roasted tomato puree, broth, and wine. Then whisk tomato paste. Heat the cream and whisk into the tomato mixture. Taste and add sugar if necessary. Stir in Parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring soup to a simmer.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Creamy Roasted Red pepper Soup

Makes 6 servings

1/4 cup Butter, divided
1/2 cup Onions, chopped
1 clove Garlic smashed and minced
1 jar roasted red peppers, drained, seeds removed (12 ozs)
1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
1 can Carnation Evaporated Milk (12 ozs)
1 can Vegetable Broth (14.5 ozs)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer onion mexture to blender container. Add red pepper, cover. Process until smooth. Melt remaining butter in same saucepan. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in red pepper mixture, salt and pepper. Heat through.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Garbanzo (chickpea) Soup

1 TBSP olive oil
1 Cup chopped onion
2tsp minced garlic
4 Cups water
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 (15once) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
6 TBSP (1 1/2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a 4 1/2 quart saucepan over med heat. Add onion & garlic & cook, stirring frequently, for 10 min. Add water, rosemary, salt, pepper, garbanzo beans, and tomatoes, Bring to a boil, reduce heat, & simmer 20 min. Place 2 cups soup into a blender or food processor & process until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a bowl. Repeat w/ 2 additional cups soup. Return all pureed soup to saucepot. Add vinegar, & bring to a boil. Spoon into 6 serving bowls & top each bowl w/ 1 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Golden Squash Soup with Pesto Topping

Makes 6 to 8 servings

This mild-flavored soup comes alive with flavor when topped with zesty pesto.

2 lbs banana squash
1 onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk with leaves, sliced crosswise
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 cups chicken broth or bouillon
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Jalapeno Pesto (See below)
1/2 cup ligh evaporated milk or half-and-half

Peel squash; cut into 1 inch cubes, In a slow cooker, combine squash, onion, celery; garlic; broth, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours or until vegetables are soft. While soup is cooking prepare pesto.

Process soup in a blender or food processor until pureed. Return to the slow cooker or to a saucepan. Add evaporated milk and heat to desired temperature. Pour into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons pesto.

Jalapeno Pesto

1 fresh jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup coarsely, chopped cilantro leaves
1 small yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil

In a small bowl, combine chopped jalapeno, cilandro, bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and olive oil.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hearty Lentil Soup with Fragrant Spices

Lentils du Puy, sometimes called French green lentils, are our first choice for this recipe, but brown, black, or regular green lentils are fine, too. Note that cooking times will vary depending on the type of lentils used. Lentils lose flavor with age, and because most packaged lentils do not have expiration dates, try to buy them from a store that specializes in natural foods and grains. Before use, rinse and then carefully sort through the lentils to remove small stones and pebbles. The soup can be made in advance. After adding the lemon juice in step 2, cool the soup to room temperature and refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 2 days. To serve, heat it over medium-low until hot, then stir in the parsley.

Makes about 2 quarts, serving 4 to 6
3 slices bacon (about 3 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 large onion , chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium carrots , peeled and chopped medium (about 1 cup)
3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can tomatoes, drained and diced
1 each bay leaf
1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
1 cup lentils, rinced and picked over
1 tsp table salt
ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro leaves

1. Fry bacon in large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in lentils, salt, and pepper to taste; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until vegetables are softened and lentils have darkened, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover, increase heat to high, add wine, and bring to simmer. Add chicken broth and water; bring to boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, 30 to 35 minutes; discard bay leaf.

2. Puree 3 cups soup in blender until smooth, then return to pot; stir in lemon juice and heat soup over medium-low until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro and serve, garnishing each bowl with some of remaining cilantro.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Killarney Chowder

Makes 4 to 6 servings

2 leeks
3 small potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 10 oz package frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped watercress leaves
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
Watercress leaves

Trim and clean leeks; slice crosswise. In a slow cooker, combine leeks, potatoes, stock, peas, watercress, seasoned salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Process one-third of the mixture at a time in a blender or food processor until pureed. Return mixture to cooker. Turn control to HIGH. Stir in sour cream. Cook on HIGH 15 to 20 minutes or until hot. Spoon into bowls. Garnish with a few watercress leaves.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Roasted Garlic Soup

Makes 4 servings
4 garlic head-unpeeled
1/4 cup of olive oil
6 tablespoons of butter
4 leek chopped
1 onion diced
6 tablespoons of flour
4 cups of chicken stock-heated
1/3 cup of sherry-dry
1 cup heavy cream
lemon juice
salt
pepper
2 chives freshly chopped
Preheat oven to 350f, cut off top quarter inch of each garlic head. Place garlic in small baking dish drizzle oil over, bake until golden; about 1 hour. Cool slightly and press individual garlic cloves between fingers to release garlic oils and chop garlic.
Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, leeks, and onion and saute until onion is tender; about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add flour and cook about 10 minutes stirring occasionly. Cool slightly, puree soup in batches in blender, return soup to saucepan and add cream and simmer until thickened, season with salt and pepper. garnish with chives.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Sweet-Hot Pumpkin Soup

Makes 5 or 6 servings

Choose either one or two jalapeno chiles, depending on how "hot" you enjoy your soup.

1 (16-oz) can pumpkin
4 cups chicken broth
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped watercress
1 or 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
3 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Sauterne wine
Watercress leaves for garnish

Combine pumpkin, chicken broth, carrots, onion, watercress, chiles, honey, curry powder, salt and wine in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 9 to 9 1/2 hours or until vegetables are very soft. Process in a blender or food processor until pureed. Reheat soup until hot if needed. Garnish with additional watercress leaves.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Tavern Soup

Makes 6 to 8 servings

1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 (14 1/2 oz) cans chicken broth
1 (12 oz) can light beer, room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
5 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 cup (4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Combine celery, carrot, bell pepper and onion in a slow cooker. Add broth, beer, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours. Process vegetables in a blender or food processor in batches until pureed and return to cooker with broth. Turn control to HIGH. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into pureed mixture. Add cheese gradually, stirring until blended. Cover and cook on HIGH 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Tomato Bisque

Makes 2 servings

10 lg Tomatoes
1 Bay leaf
2 Tbsp Butter
Pinch Sugar
2 med Onions, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup Milk

Reserve 1 tomato & coarsely chop the rest. Melt butter in a large saucepan & sautee onions until tender. Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tender. Puree vegetables in a blender and place back in saucepan. Add chicken broth and bring to a slow boil. Add bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper. Peel and chop reserved tomato into small bits. Place in saucepan along with milk. Simmer & Serve.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Touch of Green Soup with Goat Cheese Topping

Makes about 6 servings

A very special combination of flavors, designed to impress your guests.

1 medium head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
1 small leek, thinly sliced
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (about 2 1/2 oz)
1/4 cup toasted chopped pine nuts or pistachios

Combine cauliflower, celery, leek broth, salt pepper and wine in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 9 to 10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Process in a blender or food processor until pureed. Reheat soup until hot if needed. Pour into individual soup bowls. Top with goat cheese and chopped nuts.

[Linked Image]
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
These should be enough to give your new blender a work out. I hope you enjoy them. Please let me know what you think of them.

[Linked Image]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Northern Star
30k Posts
Great posting Tammy.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
THANK YOU Tammy, I am going shopping tommorow with a list of ingredients. These recipes look exciting, I cant wait to get started.
I will let you know which we like best. thank you once more.

[Linked Image]
Here's Minestrone-which you can make any time of year:We even make it in the winter with our frozen swiss chard.

Large stock pot -12c.cold water-boil with a pork hock and skim off the brown foam-After boiling for a bout 1/2 hr.add 1 chopped onion,2 garlic cloves chopped,3 stalks of celery chopped,2 tbs. of chicken soup base.Cook for about 1 1/2 hr.Remove the pork hocks.Discard fat and cut up meat to put back in upon serving.Continue cooking but add 4 carrots diced,2-3 large tomatoe chopped, about 6 stalks of swiss chard or beet tops chopped.2-3 small potatoes diced,Simmer for about 1 1/2 hr. more.Add 1 can romano beans.Salt and pepper to taste.When ready to serve add about 1 -1/2 cups of tubettetti macaroni,elbows or small shells.Sprinkle freshly grated parmesan cheese in each bowl over the soup.This is a hearty soup and the taste from the swiss chard is what makes it.Enjoy!!

Linda
My Italian potato Soup

1 package of Italian sweet sausage links
1 whole onion chopped
1 large clove garlic or garlic powder
¼ teaspoon ea. rosemary, thyme and basil or to taste
2 cans chicken broth
4 or 5 large potatoes cut up and diced in small pieces
Water
1 can of evaporated milk

In a large pan I skin my sausages and break up and cook until gray looking, add onions and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add 2 cans of chicken broth, seasonings and potatoes and enough water to cook the potatoes until done. Let simmer on top of the stove until it thickens some and add canned milk and cook till reaches consistency you desire. Add salt and pepper and eat.
I love this and if you add Kale to it towards the end when you add the milk, it taste like the soup you get at the Olive Garden.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
oh annell, that sounds so good and easy. i may have to try that.

glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
This looks delicious...I shall have a soup making session next week.

[Linked Image]
I love this soup. I hope you do try it at least one time.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Let me know how you liked it. Hope you do.

Mark Twain

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I like the Italian potato Soup. That's a good one.

[Linked Image]
Lots of wonderful soup recipes. Thanks for sharing them. I particularly want to try the Garbanzo Bean Soup and the Squash Soup with the Jalapeño Pesto. What a great combination of flavours!

Becky - Zone 6b/7a

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." -- Mark Twain

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image