Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#179585 Feb 7th, 2008 at 08:47 AM
OP Offline
I bought an indoor palm tree about a year ago. It looked healthy, and it's been growing ever so slowly since. This past early winter, I placed some pine cones on top of the dirt to keep my cats out of the dirt. Recently, I noticed the palm tree didn't look all that great and the new leaves coming out had the tips starting to look dead. Did the pine cones do this? I watered directly over the cones and now it looks very bad. I love palm trees, and I think I've killed it. I've had a lot better luck with banana trees, but they get very huge. I have a bunch of banana trees outside every year.
Any thoughts on this palm tree would be helpful! Thanks, Paul Martin

PaulMartin #179628 Feb 7th, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hello,

Do you know the name of the palm tree? That would really help! Also maybe a picture.. The first thing I would do would be to remove the pine cones, if thats what started it... Then move it to a sunny spot and a place where the cats cannot get to it. Are only the tips of the palm dead or is the whole frond dying if the whole frond was dieing most likely it got a diesease... But if its only the tips idk... Have you notcied any yellowing and any spotting on the fronds lately?

Also heres a very important thing what type of soil do you have it planted in?They do well in sand and gravel-sand soils where water drains quickly. The perfect soil would be a sandy soil with 10 to 20 percent muck or
peat to hold the water and provide nutrients.

to much water and it will develope root rot... to check if it needs water stick your fingers down into the soil if it feels wet you do not need to water...

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
toposh #179982 Feb 8th, 2008 at 01:36 PM
OP Offline
Topash,
Thank you for your reply. The palm tree I had was a Majestic Palm. Yesterday, after I posted, it feel over! Appartently it did have root rot(rats!!). I bought this thing from Wal*Mart, and I really think it was a "cull" It did have spider mites real bad(I did spray them). I did not use a sandy mix to re-pot it, and it did stand in a pot bottom that did not let the main pot drain completely. I probably killed it with water rather than the pine cones.
As fas as keeping the plant away from my cats, if I do that, then I won't enjoy viewing the palm tree. They generally won't bother it.
Looks like I'm going to Home Depot this time. They have a very large selection of plants that look healthy. A similar size(about 6' tall), cost $24.50 there.
Does any body else have an opinion on pine cones as a ground cover in the pot?
Again, thanks so much for your reply!! .........Paul Martin

PaulMartin #179985 Feb 8th, 2008 at 02:15 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Well really After doing some more reasearch about the type of your palm i figured out that it is a poor choice for housplant but quite a few people do have success with them because they bring in extra light or put them in a sunroom i guess can do the same but they are also very heavy feeders! so feed Majesty Palm 6X a year with palm food

here is a few websites that may be able to help
http://mgonline.com/majestypalm.html
http://www.floridagardener.com/palms/majestypalm.htm

Also to keep they cats away maybe you could put a type of netting around the base of it.... But i did read that people have put pine cones around but only enough to cover it dont over do it.. and im sure you would probably have to change them out though regularly so they dont get moldy...

When you do go to buy a new tree ask them about a warrenty! I know some people don't have warrentys but it doesnt hurt to ask! Maybe you could check the nurserys too for the palm and ask about careing for it and warrentys...

S.

toposh #179990 Feb 8th, 2008 at 03:00 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
actually, using the pine cones is a fine idea, it is just the drainage that you have to be careful with.

#180570 Feb 10th, 2008 at 01:49 PM
Well I work with growers that grow Majesty palms for the big box stores so i may have walked past your palm :)

The majesty palms can get root rot but also they get 2 root pests that can cause the plant to decline that many people miss. They are very prone to getting Opogona (banana moth) and also root mealybug. From over watering stress, these pests can take hold easy. these pests can cause yellowing and the plants to decline. They are often found in association with root diseases.

Also for a Majesty palm to get spider mites, it must be very stressed. That is not a very common problem for that palm, other palm species, yes.. but not Majesty.

Now for the pine cones.. were they pine cones from out side? or ones you purchased. If you purchased them, they most likely were from China and who knows what all they were treated with to prevent pest problems.

They are a higher light palm and not always the best for homes unless you have super sunny place. Also they are heavy feeders, so keep it fed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
Buglady #180927 Feb 11th, 2008 at 12:14 PM
OP Offline
A quick update on my original post. My palm tree is indeed the "majesty" palm. I have learned from my past errors, and I am now the owner of a new and nicer Majestic Palm. Home Depot just got some in and they were only $8.97!! What a Deal! They are about 7 foot tall and look very healthy. Thanks to all who gave me hints and tips. This place is awesome. I have very good luck with banana trees during the summer. If anyone ever has a question about that subject, let me know. Thanks again!! Paul Martin

PaulMartin #181537 Feb 12th, 2008 at 05:54 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
I'm so glad you were able to get another one that is better than the one you had before! keep us updated on it!

PaulMartin #322932 Jun 28th, 2010 at 11:09 AM
We have a 25 year old 30" ponytail that started growing two sideshoots about two years ago - the growth was so subtle that we have really taken notice only recently. Both shoots are about 8" high and an inch or so in diameter at their base. Can we sever these growths at the base or should we just leave them alone? The main plant appears very healthy. BTW, we have another ponytail that is about 37" and about 32 years old and it is beautiful and appears to be very health.Both have survived multiple moves.
Thanks for any information.

Roger1322 #330518 Sep 15th, 2010 at 04:53 PM
I will also be interested in any responses to your question. Ours is only about 15 years obd but is about 6 feet tall. Just this summer, a side shoot developed about halfway up the stalk. It started as just a little bump and soon sprouted into several leaves There are a few more bumps around the stalk so we are expecting they may also develop into side shoots. We would love to try removing the shoot and rooting it to get another plant but are very relectant to do so since we do not want to damge this beautiful plant!

chazbo #330618 Sep 16th, 2010 at 03:23 PM

PaulMartin #330621 Sep 16th, 2010 at 05:42 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You are supposed to be able to root the offsets in well draining soil in the early spring. Using a little rooting hormone on the base of the cut offset is recommended. I have never done this, so good luck!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
PaulMartin #330670 Sep 17th, 2010 at 06:43 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! Maybe I'll get the nerve to try it by next spring!

PaulMartin #330672 Sep 17th, 2010 at 06:46 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If you do that, try dusting the cut on the trunk where you cut away the pup with the hormone as well. It can help with healing.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image