Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171745 Jan 14th, 2008 at 01:18 PM
OP Offline
Our cats knocked over our young palm tree, snapping it at the base. I have tied it back up, hoping that it might reconnect(I know, probably not in a million years, it's not like a finger), and I was just wondering if it was possible to grow palm trees from cuttings, or if since the root system is still good, if it will sprout new leaves again, like some other non-tropical trees tend to do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

~Saphrin

Saphrin,

Sorry to hear what happened to ur tree. I woul dthink u would gow some suckers over time possibly. They are pretty mazing trees. As far as the tree surviving I think it could be a slim chance on that. Sorry! That would be out some experienceI have with them....

Dakota

The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.....

Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!

OP Offline
Yeah, I'm praying for it. And we just got it growing really well, too! It was on it's third new frond... *sigh*

Right now I have the two parts of the trunk stuck together, and the tree tied up so it won't fall over, and dirt piled up just above the point of the brake. And it is watered like crazy. hopefully that helps it.

Oh, and the cats are locked in the bathroom.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Do you know what type of palm tree it is? That would make a big difference in it's survival or suckers starting from the base. Most true palms cannot survive that type of trauma.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
No idea, but we got it for 30 bucks at home depot. It was my second anniversary present to my now husband.

So, I don't know if it is a true palm, since it was so cheap. What do you think?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
See if it was a sago palm, which isn't a real palm at all, you would have a better chance of suckers coming up from the bases. There are a few other house plants commonly called palms that aren't palms at all. But I do not know much about them. A picture would help.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There's the pics.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That looks like maybe a queen palm or another similar. Those would be a real palm and I wouldn't hold out much hope for a recovery. I am sorry. But it never hurts to try.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
was it the "whole" thing or just one of the upright fronds? if it was just one of the fronds, you will be in good shape. if it was the whole tree, i'd start over. also, i don't know how the light is where you have it, but it looks dark and maybe more light will give it better strength.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I know this may sound 'out of the box' touched BUT Do you have any Pruning spray?( Like you'd use if you pruned a tree back) This is what I would do BUT then again I'm always experimenting,, why

I would spray the break with pruning spray this will seal the raw break to keep diseases or foreign fungus to get hold of it,, I'd let it callous over for a few days , and I'd water it with super thrive( it gives plants hormones and vitamins,, really good for after trauma) after it has calloused over I would take cheesecloth and wrap the area yep Much like a bandaid. it may or may not work ,, but it's worth a shot,, IF you don't have pruning spray I'd still wrap it with cheesecloth, :wink:

I noticed the browned tips that are closest to the light,, it may be too close and heating the tips too much,, and palms whether True palms or not need a source of humidity,, I'd mist spray it 3-4 times a week and that will also help with the browning tips,,,, and water misters also will keep cats at bay lol from your plants. notme IF you know what I mean :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
It was the 'whole' thing. One little part on the side of the trunk was still attached, but I could see the big 'vein' going up through the middle of the through the break. I have the actual break under the dirt, kinda hoping it will sprout roots. I mean, there are no real palm trees at home depot this time of year, we will probably have to wait until spring, but I figure it is worth giving it a shot.

Hey Saphrin!
I just joinrd and have a post on my palm. Your pictures look just like mine. I checked at my local Home Depot and found a bunch of these palms today. They call those palms a "Majestic" Palm. I love palm trees and banana trees too. I lost my palm this week simalar to your problem.My new leaves coming up,though, looked dead. It snapped off at the base yesterday. I don't think my cats did it though. I'm going to go buy me another palm this weekend. Hope I have better luck with it this time! Good luck with yours. .........Paul Martin

its a Majesty palm

do not use prune sealer.. that seals in pathogens and can make the problem worse

you can not take cuttings from palms, you can divide suckers off some other palm species but Majestys do not sucker, they are grown from seed.

Depending on how deep the break is will determine if the palm will make it or not. Palms do not recover well from damage like trees can.

Sorry to bring bad news.... but i wish you luck. Make sure it gets lots of light and DO NOT plant it any deeper then it originally was. DO not cover the wound with soil.

also Majesty palms are not the best house plants.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
Hey Saphrin218,
I just listed in my post on my palm tree toubles, and I noted I replaced mine with a new one. I know you have some sentimental feelings on the one you have now, but Home Depot here in Tennessee just got some in and they're priced reaaly low. You might want to check out your local Home Depot and see what they have! Good Luck!! Paul Martin

From our experience no palm trees ever recover from this trauma. The height suggest that its only about 2 to 3 years old. This is a very young plant and I am sorry to be a bearer of bad news but it will not survive. I very sorry for your lost.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image