Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18108 Apr 9th, 2007 at 07:18 PM
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I bought those little peat compartments to start my seeds in, and I don't like them. These are not peat pellets, they are actual little compartments..They dry out quickly so I have to watch that my veg plants aren't limping. Normally I used the little plastic compartments and didn't have this problem. Maybe I am supposed to soak the peat ones in water?
Anyone know? What do you use to start seedlings?

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i've used them, but you are right, they do dry out quickly. i set them in a tray with just about a quarter inch of water...

#18215 Apr 10th, 2007 at 02:58 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I have in the past also set them in a tray, but i filled around them with a sand/coir mix. (Coir is pulverised cocnut husk. A renewable alternative to peat). This way they don't tend to dry out and if the roots do go outside the pots they still have medium to grow in.
Now i just make my own seed raising mix instead. It's one part coir, one part coarse sand with a bit of vermiculite and some worm casings if available. Works well. (You don't necessarily need the castings or V'lite.)

The secret is the soil.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hi,

I had the same problem with peat in any of it's forms. I also had problems using egg cartons as starter pots because they leach moisture away from the soil and dry out quickly. Now I just use regular potting soil or compost. Of course sometimes I raise weeds until they get big enough that I can recognize them but, all and all it isn't all that bad.

Of course there are some seeds that need a really light soil mix in order to germinate. In which case if I really want to grow them then I have to get the starter soil and use a tray with a lid until the little darlings sprout and then keep the spray bottle handy to mist them. Also I pretreat the soil with the damp off disease solution.

Normally if a plant is hard to germinate I just don't plant that one. I guess I'm lazy.

[Linked Image]
500 Posts
500 Posts
I've been growing seeds for about a month now - many different things, and I've tried flats of starter mix and peat pellets - and the pellets are my fave!

PattyM
1k Posts
1k Posts
I've been using starter soil mix at seeding time. Last year it worked great. This year I'm running into tons of problems with my trays drying out way too fast. Can the soil get old, I've been thinking they sold me old soil left over from last year. Is this possible?

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
DaisyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, it may be possible, depending on where you bought it from? How did it look when you opened the bag?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
:list:

I agree too it can be old.....My brother bought some and got a bag full of bugs..slugs etc.....I knew the place, cause I watched it when I used to drive to work all year.
They never sold much and let the bags set outside for long periods and they got buggie......He threw it out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
5k Posts
5k Posts
I love the little peat pellets. I like the smallers ones. But, I am a stay at home mom and can check on my pellets several times a day. Usually, I leave extra water in them, so they don't dry out. My house is usually pretty humid, though. I'm always cooking something!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

Your sharp on that ...Mine arent pellets, but boy do you have to watch when the sun shines............
FOrgot yesterday, had company, goodness this morning , found a few laying down on the job.

Oh spring come back so you can go out to play.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
I think you're all right, it has to have been old, or from last years supply. Next time I'm going to ask for fresh soil.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sometime you have to take the bull by the Horns..;o)

good luck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image