Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#182307 Feb 15th, 2008 at 09:40 AM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I decided to buy the house with the Septic. Thank you all for helping me get over my fear. NOW......

I am trying to prepare myself for the move. I want everything. I am having a hard time making myself give up stuff. It is just stuff. I will work on that. I have 20 yrs of memory here. I stared weeding out the stuff that I know I will never use. That should keep me busy for a few more weeks. But when I start to pack what is going with me I am lost it will be a lot of things.

What I need from everyone is..........

What is the best boxes to pack what?
Organizing the boxes until time to move?
Any process tips?
Any good places to get boxes?
Any good internet sites on moving?

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
cinta #182315 Feb 15th, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
MY DD's used 3 men and a truck.
I really think for a fee they provide boxes. I will check for sure & let you know. It is my thought that many of not all moving companies will provide boxes. My youngest got boxes that say "On The Move." they come in different sizes and the are prelabeled on one or 2 sides and have blank places on others so you can write things. These boxes collapse so you can transport them and store them.--I will find out for you for sure where she got them. it may be a chain, if not the moving company.

I will say, personally I went to grocery stores on stock day and got boxes.--the stores get rid of so many boxes on these days that they are happy to give them to you.

About packing:
Personally I would go thru and pack what I wanted to keep & then you can get rid of the rest easier and faster.--Not to mention that way something you want will not accidently get thrown away. Get a Sharpie marker and on each box ALWAYS write which room you want the items in each box to go into on moving day, or write what is actually in the box onto the box.--It will make unpacking easier.

To store the already packed boxes:
Pick out a room, (or use the garage) and just start filling it up---

I will get back with any internet sites Emily might recommend
and I will find out for sure where she got her boxes.

I hope something here will help you. Good luck!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #182336 Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:15 AM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thank you. I do not think I can get anyone to pack this 20 year collection of stuff. I am going to have to do this myself and I am going to need a lot of time to accomplish.

I am doing a house rehab of the new house so I am going to try to use these months to get things together. My travel schedule is not going to give me much time to try to pull stuff together. I am feeling a panic attack coming on. LOL!!

cinta #182340 Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Congrats on buying your new home kissie

I don't know alot about moving and I hate clutter. Guess the best way is to take it one room at a time. Mark all your boxes well, it'll take time to unpack them and it'll be nice to know which one holds the toilet paper and such lol

Our grocery store gives away all it's boxes to anyone who wants them, why pay extra if you don't have to...

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Sunflowers #182349 Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:51 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Getting a new house is always fun....the moving, not so much. lol I don't care if we ever move again that's how much I've grown to hate it.

I'd weed junk out as I pack so I wasn't packing more than I had to. When we moved out of our apartment into this house 5 years ago that's what I did, and we bought about 30 of those plastic storage boxes with the lids....our stuff was going into a storage place for a while though and I didn't want bugs or anything getting into our stuff.

Label good, use clothes to wrap up delicates. If you know anyone around you that sells Avon maybe you could ask for their empty boxes, our stuff comes in great sturdy cardboard boxes with lids. thumbup

#182352 Feb 15th, 2008 at 12:13 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Cinta

Where are you moving to in Penna.?

I am in western...
One bit of advice ......Mark what is in every box ......Faster unpacking that way.

Leave out your shoes.. ha ha

lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
#182353 Feb 15th, 2008 at 12:18 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Congratulations on the new/old house, Aud. Boxes are so much more available than they were 20 years ago. The main thing I think to remember is heavy things in small boxes. Books, all of you 33 rpm collections, 45's etc will be so much easier for you to unpack if they can be handled. A business file size box or there abouts.
I favorite trick of mine is trash cans. Large plastic Rubbermaid type (new) trash cans with locking lids can hold pillows, blankets, sheets, towels and Grandma's quilts and Georgian lace tablecloths. spring cleaning time is a good time of year for sales on those. I love them for storage in general; critter and moisture resistant. Thy also make for a good cold chest for ice and sodas and beer for that summer "Thanks for Helping Me Paint Party"

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #182355 Feb 15th, 2008 at 12:46 PM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
U Haul is a great place to get boxes. They are pretty economical and they have a guarantee that if you buy more than you need, they'll let you return them. We got them before we moved from London. We've used them 2 times now to move and I've been packing stuff in them to store. They are really sturdy.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
rachelp #182373 Feb 15th, 2008 at 02:36 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I agree with all the above,,
When I moved from KS to TX I packed one room at a time,, I went thru my daughter's school papers/pictures, crafts for me and kept 2 papers from each grad and their first Mother's day card they made for me, seperated and labeled each box with the girls name and gave them the box! Which also included their snapshot pictures of them with their friends growing up , and ballerina dance recital costumes, and Judo gees and belts,, Now they had to figure out what to do with it! neenee haha !!

With in each room I packed if I hadn't used it in 6 months, and would probably never use,, I called each daughter and asked if they wanted it,, if yes it went to them immediately if not ~ it got tossed,
IF there was something I hadn't used in three months but still used occasionally, I had to decide whether it was important enough to pack in a box and take with me,( I ended up with 5 boxes of "May use again stuff" after 11 years those boxes are still packed up in the attic rolz so when in doubt throw it out or give away immediately , A week before I left I did have a garage sale and made $670 with nice stuff the girls didn't want, and I didn't want to bring with me, including an 80 Gallon octagon aquarium ( I still regret not bringing it! egad)

Anyway,, tackling one room at a time is sooooo less overwhelming, and purging unused items, or rarely used items, papers, extra furniture,nicknacks,

Like Loz said wrap delicate keepsakes/and special dishes, in clothes, towels, sheets, blankets. Put all silverware in ziplock bags, as well as cooking utensils,

Load bathroom and bedroom bedding boxes , and change of clothes and a "small box of kitchen things (like a skillet,small quart pan,spatula, a couple of plates, table setting for 2, couple of glasses/cups, instant coffee/tea) last in the truck so it is the first pulled in case all you want to do when you get there is fix a quick bite to eat, shower and go to bed, and tackle the rest of the truck in the morning after a good nights rest. A friend of mine suggested that when I moved here and I was soooo glad I took her advice,, I also had the microwave to be able to pull of the truck first.
It's a lot of work, but worth it to have an organized move!! thumbup
Very Funny Cindy,, I had to go let Emmy out then back IN,, then The timer when off on the Oven!! haha

Last edited by angelblossom; Feb 15th, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Cindy is sooooooo silly!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
cinta #182445 Feb 15th, 2008 at 05:05 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
When I said some movers have boxes I did not mean you should have them pack the stuff. I understand You will want to do that. I was pointing out a possible sourses of boxes.

OK I spoke to my DD today---she said to go to Craigs list for your town and they should be able to give you tips on movers & boxes & such.

The nice boxes she got in all different sizes were bought at Lowes--although Home depot has some too. HD boxes are not as nice---jusrt my opinion.

I still think grocery stores are a good bet.

good luck--and not to worry--just chip away at things until it is done--and remember, we are all here to talk if you need/want---- kissie

________

JunieGirl #182452 Feb 15th, 2008 at 05:17 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Type in Moving Tips on the Search google and they will give you free advice.

I find everything here.........

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #182494 Feb 15th, 2008 at 06:22 PM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks everyone. I went to the grocery store as soon I got the tips. I did not think they would give them out. They said they will be stocking Sat night at 9 pm. So I will be there tomorrow night.

June I thought you meant to get professional movers. I am going to get movers because all my friends are old like me and cannot do it. But I have to get the stuff packed for the kind of movers I will be getting. You know those cheap guys with a truck kinda movers.

When my company moved me to Kentucky and back to PA I had professional movers. They were awesome but I was not taking everything just some clothes and some of the furniture because I was keeping my house it was not a full move. I have not done a full move in over 20 years.

cinta #182500 Feb 15th, 2008 at 06:32 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I was talking about professional movers, but not when it came to packing the boxes. I was saying sometimes the moving company you use will give you the boxes for free.

Two men and a truck is a chain (so to speak) MY DD has used them 2 times---once they were poor--& once they were professional & wonderful--I guess with them if depends on which guys you get.

I would talk to friends, & get their opinion before hiring anyone.
or the BBB

________

JunieGirl #182542 Feb 15th, 2008 at 07:49 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
well, as a veteran of over 15 moves in the last 27 years, i can say, all of the above is good. i would add,

if it is important to you, but not necessary, start packing it now. when we moved here, we got a local storage unit and starting moving one or two boxes at a time of stuff we knew we would need/want, but didn't need/want before the move. like our christmas stuff. we knew we weren't going to use it before the move.

if you have a room you can empty to do that, that is great, but if you don't, a $50 a month storage unit can be a sanity saver.

avon boxes, grocery store boxes, and the liquor store boxes are best. also, copy paper boxes. i used clothing, bedding, and towels to cushion breakables. i also used things like pillows to stand between breakables like pictures.

i also didn't even try for one room at a time, i tried for one area at a time (my dresser. scott's dresser. the wall unit. etc)

once cabinet. one drawer.

and diane's advice about kid's stuff is good too.

#182543 Feb 15th, 2008 at 07:56 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I never emptied my dresser drawers for a move. I removed them from the furniture, moved the empty piece, put the drawers back in place in the truck. That was how the pros did it for me and I've followed that practice ever since.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #182545 Feb 15th, 2008 at 08:02 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup you are right about that tina. but i did go through them, and put things in them that went on the dresser that i wanted moved.

#182547 Feb 15th, 2008 at 08:02 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Jiffymouse
well, as a veteran of over 15 moves in the last 27 years, i can say, all of the above is good. i would add,

if it is important to you, but not necessary, start packing it now. when we moved here, we got a local storage unit and starting moving one or two boxes at a time of stuff we knew we would need/want, but didn't need/want before the move. like our christmas stuff. we knew we weren't going to use it before the move.

if you have a room you can empty to do that, that is great, but if you don't, a $50 a month storage unit can be a sanity saver.

avon boxes, grocery store boxes, and the liquor store boxes are best. also, copy paper boxes. i used clothing, bedding, and towels to cushion breakables. i also used things like pillows to stand between breakables like pictures.

i also didn't even try for one room at a time, i tried for one area at a time (my dresser. scott's dresser. the wall unit. etc)

once cabinet. one drawer.

and diane's advice about kid's stuff is good too.

My sister would bring me printing paper boxes from her work every 2 weeks--they have lids and are far more well made boxes. They are great, even if they are small.

________

JunieGirl #182808 Feb 16th, 2008 at 03:51 PM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
June, I never thought the moving companies might give me boxes for free. That is a good idea. When you need stuff it is smart to not leave any stones unturned. I will lift that rock Thanks for the suggestion.

The two men and a truck I heard about from my sister she said they have them in Atlanta, I have not seen them in PA. We have local movers that advertise in our local paper that say they move people but they do not pack.

I will have to ask my daughter to bring home the copy paper boxes.

I really appreciate all the tips. If anybody thinks of anything please post.

Barb, I am only moving 15 min away. I live in a Pittsburgh suburban area.

cinta #182811 Feb 16th, 2008 at 04:06 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
blush
Good Heavens...Pittsburg is only 50 mile away

However you can go to Phipps flower show for me..Tee hee.
HD loves visiting the countrys not cities........But Pittsburg is a good spot for jobs.....

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #182892 Feb 16th, 2008 at 07:26 PM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
blush

HD loves visiting the countrys not cities........But Pittsburg is a good spot for jobs.....

b

Phipps is one of my favorite places. I have been going there since I was 12 yrs old. The glass display was breath taking. You should know Pittsburgh is the big city with the small town atttitude.

cinta #182915 Feb 16th, 2008 at 09:14 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
Good luck with the move! Everyone has had great tips here so I have nothing to offer! When mom moved (something we thought would never happen), I packed one room at a time, and when the first room was boxed, that is where I started stacking the boxes! She also had 30 something years of stuff to weed out and pack. Just look at each packing day as a adventure..............no telling what you will come across that you forgot that you had!

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
cinta #182955 Feb 17th, 2008 at 06:28 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cinta
Originally Posted by dodge
blush

b

Phipps is one of my favorite places. I have been going there since I was 12 yrs old. The glass display was breath taking. You should know Pittsburgh is the big city with the small town atttitude.

Cinta.......

Nothing wrong with Pittsburgh...Only draw back, it is hard getting in an out of it from our neck of the woods.HD swears every time we have to go thru..LOL

Nothing personal..
It has good jobs there..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
faerywatcher #183161 Feb 17th, 2008 at 11:46 PM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Originally Posted by faerywatcher
Just look at each packing day as a adventure..............no telling what you will come across that you forgot that you had!

I know I am finding so much stuff I forgot I brought in a weak moment. I wish postage was not so high. I have read so many sad stories on the net I would love to send stuff to them.

I took a couple boxes of stuff to St Vincent's our local thirft store. I have shoes still in the box never worn.

cinta #183165 Feb 18th, 2008 at 12:22 AM
When you do pack; pack the tolit paper and other essentials last like your toothbrush and hair care stuff and clothes... lol

First I must work hard then play.
arelene2 #183235 Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:01 AM
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
last few times I moved I packed everything like as soon as possible, and sit the box back in the area where I packed it from. I packed tolet paper and stuff like that in an open top box and left it just sitting in the bath room floor. Clothes I never packed, they moved drawer and all and stuff on hangers moved on hangers.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
suzydaze #183244 Feb 18th, 2008 at 10:30 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yep--about the drawers & hanging clothes--that is what I did too.

I also would take stuff like the TP & such just in a clothes basket & drive 1 load over at a time. But then the first tiem I was moving only 10 minutes away from our apparetment. and this last time I was moving 2 miles down the road.
so it was easy really.

________

JunieGirl #183306 Feb 18th, 2008 at 03:52 PM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
June that is what is going to help me also. I am only moving about 15 min away. I am going to see how many people I can get to help take some things over in the cars and trucks.

I do not want to put my cloths over to early because I am having some rehab done on the property.

cinta #183307 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:02 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well good for you!!!

you could always leave your hanging clothes unitl you are all moved & then just take 1 friend or relative & make 1 or 2 trips & get them last.
and you could take your off season hanging any time you wanted, because if htey are off season things you will not be needing them.

________

JunieGirl #183313 Feb 18th, 2008 at 04:18 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
How long is your remodeling going to take, Aud? And what are you having done? Just painting and hinge tightening? Or major stuff?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #183698 Feb 19th, 2008 at 02:22 PM
cinta Offline OP
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
June, I wish I could do a season for clothes. I travel through every temp 12 months of the year. Also, because I travel and do not have time to go to the cleaners and wash I have more clothes and underwear than the normal person. My family laughs at me because they do not understand. They said I think I am a movie star with all the clothes. They just do not understand. If I did not have all these clothes I would be pig pen. lol

Tina, it is a good bit of major. Need windows, 2 bathrooms and kitchen remodel. Carpet removed and the hardwood floors sanded and stained. Whole house will be painted. It will be pretty dusty around there for awhile. There are some walls I want knocked out but I will have to do that after I sell my house and have more money.

cinta #183700 Feb 19th, 2008 at 03:00 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Your remodel sounds exciting. Take before and after pics to share, OK? And in your yards too. We will all be here to cheer you on.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
cinta #183709 Feb 19th, 2008 at 03:31 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by cinta
June, I wish I could do a season for clothes. I travel through every temp 12 months of the year. Also, because I travel and do not have time to go to the cleaners and wash I have more clothes and underwear than the normal person. My family laughs at me because they do not understand. They said I think I am a movie star with all the clothes. They just do not understand. If I did not have all these clothes I would be pig pen. lol

Tina, it is a good bit of major. Need windows, 2 bathrooms and kitchen remodel. Carpet removed and the hardwood floors sanded and stained. Whole house will be painted. It will be pretty dusty around there for awhile. There are some walls I want knocked out but I will have to do that after I sell my house and have more money.

Call in HGtv .......they will be done in a week.....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #183726 Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:03 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Your remodel sounds exciting. Take before and after pics to share, OK? And in your yards too. We will all be here to cheer you on.

Yes we will!!!! thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #183738 Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:38 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Good luck with your move Cinta! I know how much work it is! It is not fun. After we got all moved into this house I said that we will never move again. We really like where live though and probably won't ever move.

#183741 Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:41 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Do you live alone?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183745 Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:43 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Are you asking me or Cinta?

#183753 Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:49 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Cinta.
But tell me of both of you........

I dont know alot on here...............'
Just there is KNOME business like KNome business...........

Last edited by dodge; Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: rethinkin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183759 Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:59 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
lol I wasn't sure dodge. I don't live by myself Barb. I have a man and a little boy. He is almost 6 now. I will have to post some of his wrestling pics. He has been in 2 tournaments now. One he got 1st place and the other he got 2nd place. He gets very excited!

#183762 Feb 19th, 2008 at 05:02 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
rose

Thats how to get a son, live with a man....... lol

Wrestling at age of 6?? Yes show us the photos.........I dont know much about you, except I drive you crazy........... yikes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
dodge #183767 Feb 19th, 2008 at 05:14 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
You don't drive me crazy Barb!! I hope I never gave you that impression. If I did I am terribly sorry!!!

Yes he is wrestling already! I will try and gets some pics posted tonight yet! thumbup

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image