1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
Cornbread-sausage stuffing with apples

This is from The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins

12 T. (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 1/2 c. finely chopped yellow onions
3 tart apples (they recommend Jonathan or Winesap, I used Jazz), cored and chunked; do not peel
1 pound lightly seasoned bulk sausage
3 c. coarsely crumbled cornbread (preferably homemade)
3 c. coarsely crumbled whole-wheat bread
3 c. coarsely crumbled white bread (French or homemade preferred)
2 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried sage
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 c. chopped Italian parsley
1 1/2 c. shelled pecan halves

1. Melt half of the butter in a skillet. Add chopped onions and cook over medium heat, partially covered, until tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes. Transfer onions and butter to a large mixing bowl.

2. Melt remaining butter in the same skillet. Add apple chunks and cook over high heat until lightly colored but not mushy. Transfer apples and butter to the mixing bowl.

3. Crumble the sausage into the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until lightly browned. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to the mixing bowl and reserve the rendered fat.

4. Add remaining ingredients to the ingredients in the mixing bowl and combine gently. Cool completely before stuffing the bird; refrigerate if not used promptly.

5. If you do not wish to stuff the bird, spoon it into a casserole. Cover casserole and set into a large pan. Pour hot water around the casserole to come halfway up the sides. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 325 degrees, basting occasionally with cooking juices from the bird or with the reserved sausage fat if necessary. (The first time I made this, I used the juice from the turkey pan and the sausage fat, but the dressing seemed greasy and heavy, so the last time, I just used turkey broth. It was much lighter, and 5 people nearly demolished the entire batch--YUM! Chicken broth would work as well)

Enough for a 20 pound turkey, to make 12-14 portions.

Terry

May the force be with you
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I've had that as a casserole,, I liked it but never made it,,! Thanks

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image