Print Thread
Rate Thread
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
we have called a exterminator before and they cant get rid of them they are "what my parents call them" piss ants little tiny sugar ants... so i was wonderning if nayone has used the produck bayer home defense max? we got some a while back but ive neevr used it bvecause i didn't know if i could use it around my flowers and vegetable garden for the outside of the house???? so i need to know if you all have used it... my dad tor off the label when he was reading it by accident and everything is un readbale... thank you in advance!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I do use it, Scott. I avoid using it directly on my plants around the foundation. And it doesn't kill them as long as it claims it does. But it does help lower the population.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
okay what about behind the plants? like its away from the foundation a lil bit so if i go behind it will it not affect my plant if i dont get on the plant? i don't want to kill my new rose or hydrangeas and vegetables...

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, that is how I do it outside. I also will move (kind of push them or bend) the plants out of the way a bit to spray. You should never spray anything insecticidal or fungicidal on your plants in full sun. They can burn very easily. Very early morning or very late evening just before the sunset is best.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And bayer advance for your roses, Scott. It is a granular product you mix into the top few inches of your soil. A systemic killer that goes up through the roots and gets rid of bugs trying to eat them. Just don't use it on fruits and veges. Or anything you plan on eating.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Here's another idea for you............sprinkle a line of cayenne pepper around their trails (the ants trails) and also around your house foundation, entryway door thresholds and windowsills.
Moth balls or peppermint oil soaked rags will discourage the wild rodents such as field mice, chipmunks and gophers.

Carol

toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
okay thank you all! carol i have tried cayenne pepper and it doesnt work... i guess there just tooo many for me to keep trackt off... we don't have problems with chipmunks and gophers, we do have moles but they don't go neer my flowers the stay toward the backyard and for now i figure their getting rid of the grubs for me... and their so cute i don't want to hurt them.... and thanks for the thing about the roses tina!!!! thats super awesome! im going to go out in a bit to spray that stuff....

1k Posts
1k Posts
Use ant bait stations. When the ants take the food(poison) to the nest& share it'they die.

Waiting for fall...
toposh Offline OP
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
OP Offline
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
yea we have those on the inside i sprayed the stuff the other dasy and its worked i havent seen any ants or beetles on the porch front or back.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,904
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image