Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#187120 Feb 29th, 2008 at 09:11 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 68
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 68
Hi All,
i thought I had posted this question the other day but I do not see it here, so I will post again. (I must not have submitted it I guess) Any hoot, I have a zebra plant that has gotten very leggy there are 3 branches off the one branch and it only has leaves on the very top of the branches. Can I prune it back to get it to bush out again? i am a little afraid because once I prune it it will be 3 very sorry looking bare branches, so I want to be sure that it will blossom for me. thanks

be away for a long time
Myrna


Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
Myrna #187487 Mar 1st, 2008 at 03:37 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 9
Hi Myrna. how long have you had the plant? i repot each year after flowering is finished. and as the plant ages, i take cuttings and propagate. a plant book that i have (which i use often and find esp. for this plant was very accurate) says:

when flower bracts fade, cut back the stalk to a pair of sturdy leaves to keep the plant bushy. also, as the plant ages, cuttings from stem tips taken between the late winter/late spring will root easily and you should pinch back foliage on cuttings by 1/3 inch to 1/2 inch to prevent "fatal wilting" and you can cover the cuttings with plastic wrap unitl new roots form.

so maybe if you take action now it will bloom late summer. good luck!!

alycion #187494 Mar 1st, 2008 at 04:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 68
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 68
Thank you so much I will try this. the plant belongs to my housemate and i am not sure just how old the plant is it has to be at least 2 years old. But it has lost most of it leaves and it is such a beautiful plant i don't want it to die. Once again thank you for your response



Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in August
Gardening in September
Gardening in October


Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,335
Posts243,560
Average Daily Posts5
Members16,003
Most Online142,934
May 16th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
Karys 1
Random Gallery Image
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1